LegacyGT.com

Mounting amp in Wagon

GTS Jeff

So I am in the process of upgrading the stereo in my 2005 Legacy Wagon. For those who are curious, here's what I have planned:

Pioneer Premier 880

Focal Polyglass 165V1

JL Stealthbox

Boston Acoustics GT42 amplifier

Anyway, I am wondering about amplifier mounting. I'd like to mount it in the floor of the trunk, just above the spare tire, but still under the lid. Now I noticed that there is already a tray in place with approximately the right cutout for the amp, and the tray is made of a heavy duty, hard foam. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to mount the amp onto this foam. To prevent the screws from tearing through the foam, I would use very long bolts that go all the way through the foam and are then secured to nuts and washers on the other side. My only concern is heat. I am worried that the amp may put out enough heat to deform the foam. Other than that, I think this is a good solution because it keeps the amp hidden and retains the utility of a wagon.

Thoughts?

I haven seen it done before with good sucess. I have also seen people make wood or fiberglass inlays and ditch the foam. Personally i would do fiberglass and make it so i can get to my spare. If you have the depth in the foam tray maybe put a piece of wood on the bottom to complety get the amp off the tray. Make sure you use the biggest washers you can get to work because they will transfer the load over a greater surface area.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

Heh, I know it sounds like a ridiculous idea, but I think it might work. As you said, it'll definitely need some huge washers. Maybe I can find a thin MDF board to place under the foam tray, and then I can bolt through the foam tray onto the board too.

Making a wood or FG inlay will be difficult because as a student, I have neither the time to do it myself, nor the money to pay someone else to do it.

A half sheet of MDF pre-laminated is maybe $12, some wire grommets under $2, utility knife to remove the bottom of the foam tray - $2, two feet of aluminum or steel right-angle stock - $8.

Bolt the right-angle stock to the sides of the well halfway down, cut the MDF to fit on top of it, screw it down. Bolt amp to it. Cut the bottom out of the part of the foam tray that will house the amp (about 3/4" thick, same as the MDF lam board that will replace it), fit it over the amp & MDF. Drill holes for wires, use grommets, run wires.

Cool looking install in an afternoon for under $25.

Archived