LegacyGT.com

Legacy Reliability in Car and Driver test

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that you will find most people around here would say,yes they are reliable and reliable with mods. Of course there are some minor things that most complain about, like rattles and some other small things that dealers fix easily. Just lsearch around the site and you will find some answers. Look here.

Denial is your best friend

Hi Gang,

I'm interested in purchasing a Legacy GT and saw the latest Car and Driver's long-term test in their latest edition. The number of problems they had frightened me. Is C/D's experience typical or are Legacys pretty reliable? Thanks.

This is one car of hundred of thousands produced. All cars have issues including the most reliable brands and the least reliable brands have trouble free cars too.

That being said Consumer Reports lists the Legacy (turbo) above average so I would not worry much on this one bad one.

Ours at 15k miles is troublefree and not any hiccups people complain of here.

I've had my car two years and 23,000 miles. I've only had one issue, and that happened about a month ago. I had a cylinder #4 misfire CEL. Took it in, they fixed it. No biggy.

That being said Consumer Reports lists the Legacy (turbo) above average so I would not worry much on this one bad one.

I don't pay one ounce of attention to what consumer reports says. Don't get me wrong, I love my LGT and everything but they miss the boat so many times. I used to sell TV's and ppl would always come in with "I had an RCA for 20 years and consumer reports says their good, I want another one." And then about 2 minutes later say they would never own a GE TV cuz they're garbage. You shoulda seen how many ppl got switched to Panasonic's and Sony's when I told them that GE's run down the same assembly lines as RCA's.

As for stuff goin wrong with my car, I have a shudder in my steering wheel, sometimes very violent under hard breaking conditions, haven't had the dealer check that out yet, my passenger side window is VERY noticably slower than my drivers side window. Like when I roll them down at the same time, the passengers window will be about 2-3 inches from all the way down while the drivers side is all the way down, dealer says "Everything is within factory specs, nuthin rubbin. And prolly the worst thing is, when I drive while it's raining hard, my passenger side floor leaks, I think it's in the firewall. If the car sits in the rain, everythings dry, if I drive, the carpet gets SOAKED. Makes the whole car smell like mildew and takes like 2 days to dry out. Once again, haven't had the dealer check that out yet.

Don't let the one car that C&D tested turn you off to these cars. I love mine, despite the stuff that I've had wrong. The way they move is undeniable.

Generally speaking, there are a few quirks, but overall the legacy is very reliable, i have never really heard to many stories about the legacy in the shop for days on days with a transmission problem that cant seem to be fixed.
I love my car ... basically.

Hi Gang,

I'm interested in purchasing a Legacy GT and saw the latest Car and Driver's long-term test in their latest edition. The number of problems they had frightened me. Is C/D's experience typical or are Legacys pretty reliable? Thanks.

You'll find people here who drag race their LGT's and haven't replaced the clutch. They beat the h#ll out of that car.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thanks for all the positive words about the car.

When you test drive, do not use the radio. Drive over bumps and lots of irregular surfaced roads, and LISTEN for vibrations and rattles in the doors and dash. If you care about that type of stuff anyway.

LOVE mine, but the apparently shoddy build quality (same assembly line as Isuzu in Indiana, why didn't I think of that?) is making me want to get rid of it. C&D had window reg issues, the ignition issues, and the bearing issues. Why isn't Subaru issuing recalls and TSB's for that stuff?

Hi Gang,

"...Think of it as your house, with a couple dozen teenagers anxious to get the keys for the weekend and you get the idea, although that comparison may be too kind....."

Just visited my old OBW this weekend. Now has 183,000 miles, driven over 500 miles per week.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I don't pay one ounce of attention to what consumer reports says. Don't get me wrong, I love my LGT and everything but they miss the boat so many times.
CR misses on some things but their car ratings have always been pretty much on track with my experiences.

I'm on my second Subaru and I have to say, all cars have there unique issues. Subarus have quirks while others cars I've had have problems. Quirks dont affect reliablity they just irritate; while problems mean, you cant drive the car:)

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Every brand/model has its weaknesses. Certain Toyotas have engine sludging, certain Hondas had auto tranny issues, certain Subarus have wheel bearing issues, etc. C&D seems to have gotten an unlucky one that doesn't seem in common with other experiences on this board (other than the wheel bearing problem).

If you read enough forums, you'll never buy a car because every car has its issues and when you have that issue, you google for a forum to complain about it.

Read about how robust Subarus have been. See how popular they are in Northern states where trustworthiness is paramount. And don't forget, Click and Clack (Car Talk) love Subaru!

Archived