LegacyGT.com

OEM SpecB wheels with 235/40/18's?

finse

Got new tires today, but after looking at them I have noticed that they mounted up a size different then what I asked for. I asked for the OEM size (215/45/18) and got the 235/40/18. Xeonok's thread makes it look like this might be advantageous for me, but the tire seems very wide for the rim. IIRC, the stock SpecB wheels are 7"

Trying to decide if I am going back to the tire shop tomorrow morning, I am interested in what you guys think.

-Ryan

stock spec.b wheels are 7.5

Some tires run skinnier than others, so a skinny 235/40/18 tire might be close to a wider 225/40/18 (which i've run comfortably). Do you have any pics? If it's bulging, that could negatively affect handling.

stock spec.b wheels are 7.5

Some tires run skinnier than others, so a skinny 235/40/18 tire might be close to a wider 225/40/18 (which i've run comfortably). Do you have any pics? If it's bulging, that could negatively affect handling.

I actually did consider 225/40/18's but decided against it in favor of the oem size. I did not take a picture, but yes, they were considerably wider then the rim, making the tire appear to have a triangular look at the shoulder. While they felt great on the remarkably crummy Denver streets, I was really worried about performance in the corners.

I ended up calling the tire shop this morning, they knew exactly who I was. They had noticed the error as well and were about to call me. Apparently they had two special orders for Hankook this week. Long story short, I have 215/45/18's now.

haha, I figured they would notice it soon. They were probly losing $200-300 by giving you the bigger tires.

Triangular shoulders are defenitely bad, you won't gain any handling from that. Hope the 215's work out better for ya.

haha, I figured they would notice it soon. They were probly losing $200-300 by giving you the bigger tires.

Triangular shoulders are defenitely bad, you won't gain any handling from that. Hope the 215's work out better for ya.

They offered to let me keep them, without paying the difference (you're right, they were more pricey). But in the end, I was worried about the handling. The tires are pretty grippy, much improved over the OEM potenzas!

I went with Conti DWS 225/45-R18's on the stock wheels for my winter setup. Tire profile looks fine, a little fatter than stock. Speedometer is spot on, with the stock tires it reads high.

I'd really hesitate to run a 235/40 on a 7" wide rim, the recommended range is 8-9.5". Though I have run 235/40 on a 7.5" wide rim - the diameter was smaller but the effective width (mounted) was the same as a 225/45.

The Hankooks were way to wide for my wheels. Seriously, cornering would have been horrible at best, and dangerous at worst.

Some tires tend to run more skinny then others, but these ones seriously had triangles. I wish I had taken a picture.

Archived