LegacyGT.com

09' 3.0R - Brake pad replacement

Hey guys. Just got a 3.0R and am thinking of replacing the brake pads since they seem pretty worn out (I have no idea how to check pad life).

I've been searching the forum and a few vendor sites and realize that the 3.0R doesn't readily come up as a search option for parts... So I'm wondering if brake pads from the 2.5GT are compatible with the 3.0R?

What brake pads would you guys recommend? I don't auto-x or anything, so I'm just looking for good, quiet, reliable pads that will last a good while.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I needed new pads, I just called O'Reilly Auto and asked for ceramic pads for my vehicle. They ordered a set for me, and I picked 'em up the same day.

If you look at the actual pads in the calipers, you should be able to see how much pad is left. Use the brake grease stuff in the little 99¢ packet from the auto parts store on everything when reassembling to prevent unnecessary squeaks.

I've attached some PDFs you may find useful.

You may also want to search youtube.com. Not everything there is solid advice, but if you cross-reference videos, you can usually discern between the good advice and the bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pf_hmyBFrM]How To Change Brake Pads on a Subaru and Most Cars - YouTube[/ame]

1 BRAKE > Front Brake Pad > REMOVAL.pdf

2 BRAKE > Front Brake Pad > INSTALLATION.pdf

3 BRAKE > Front Brake Pad > INSPECTION.pdf

Awesome, thank you!

Maybe this will be my next DIY project...

Do you remember what brand pads you got at O'Reilly? I'm debating whether to go OE or to get an aftermarket/performance pad.

I think I got these ones. It's just a generic brand, but they've worked well for me. I eventually ended up replacing my rotors, too. They got pretty warped from some hard stopping. :) If you're considering replacing the rotors, too, then do so while replacing the pads. I think the only extra step is to just pull the rotor straight off the wheel hub and push the new one on.

It was the first time I had done brakes (or anything on a car, really). It was daunting at first, but it's not too complicated. It's mostly just time.

Be sure to check your brake fluid level afterward, and pump your brakes before taking the car out of park/driving anywhere.

Awesome, thank you!

Maybe this will be my next DIY project...

Do you remember what brand pads you got at O'Reilly? I'm debating whether to go OE or to get an aftermarket/performance pad.

The 3.0R pads are the same as the 2.5GT's. I personally use StopTech pads for daily driving in the summer and put the OEM pads back on for the winter. If you use 2 sets of pads you should have 2 sets of rotors.

I've also used Hawk HP+ pads for autox and lapping days. The StopTechs work good for autox.

Your from NJ. You want to contact Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com buy your parts from them. Great customer service. Free advice...support them.

They may even be close to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your from NJ. You want to contact Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com buy your parts from them. Great customer service. Free advice...support them.

They may even be close to you.

Great, thanks for the info. Kenilworth is close enough that I'd check them out. Judging by the website, pricing isn't bad at all. Front & rear done with Steptech Street for $310

Do performance rotors make a noticeable difference for regular street driving? As long as they aren't warped, the stock rotors should last a long time right?

The 3.0R pads are the same as the 2.5GT's. I personally use StopTech pads for daily driving in the summer and put the OEM pads back on for the winter. If you use 2 sets of pads you should have 2 sets of rotors.

I've also used Hawk HP+ pads for autox and lapping days. The StopTechs work good for autox.

Are you using Stoptech Street pads by any chance? If so, how are they? Noisy/quiet? Noticeable stopping improvement over stock pads?

The stock rotors are fine. Its the pads that are important.

I have DBA4000 slotted fronts on my wagon with Hawk ceramic pads all around. They are fine but could have a little better cold bite.

My Spec B had Hawk HPS pads and stock rotors on the front and the cold bite it much better.

But I drive the wagon more and enjoy the light dusting, the HPS dust up pretty quick.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm 90% sure they are the Streets with stock rotors. I'll check the box and let you know for sure. They are much better than the OEM pads. The cold braking bite isn't great. But if you stomp the pedal for a deer or something they are going to stop way better then OEM.

Like I said I only use my OEM pads in the winter. But I should have bought another set of rotors and not switched back and forth. The rotors get too much build up of pad material and warp slightly. I'm going to get some DBA rotors or Stoptech ones and pair them with the Stoptech pads next summer and then cut the stock rotors and use them in the winter time. I priced some rotors out this summer and there are a few aftermarket rotors that are cheaper then the OEM stuff. I just can't remember exactly what brand they were.

The best combo I had was the Hawk HP+ with racing brake slotted rotors. That setup would pull my eyes out of my sockets. Only problem is they squeal like a freight train for daily driving. I used this setup when I had my stage 2 GT and did a lot of autox and lapping days.

I just put pads and rotors on my 3.0R. I went with Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads. They are the same fitment as the 2.5GT.

If you talk to Mike, I'm pretty sure he will recommend that combo. IIRC, he has done hundreds of installations with that combo with very good results.

Archived