LegacyGT.com

Boost Greep

I am looking at the bellmouth and divided/divorced pipe flow DP's. I have read that our turbines need to be ported to prevent that occurrence in anything that is not a bellmouth. It would seem that the interference of flow within a bell mouth, although still present because of deflection off of the flat plate of the gate assembly has less affect. I say this because the total flow out of the gate is increased because of the bell. The deflected flow in the radius that is not the direction of that in the path of the turbine exhaust is allowed to collect in the bell and eventually integrate into that of the turbine. The flat plate of the stock DP causes all of the escaping WG gases to make hit the turbine exhaust at 90+ degrees and congest that area. Because divided flow allows the turbine gases to flow uninterrupted in that area the boost curve exceeds the ability of the gate to vent gases without increasing it's ability to flow.., so we get creep. Yet even with porting the existence of the flat plate and it's affect on flow has not been addressed. That plate still deflects near 80% of the flow at the divider plate and stalls the flow of gases with the pipe. An even better solution would be to make the gate spherical, welding a ball to the gate assembly and matching it to the channel porting size would allow the flow to be evenly distributed 360 degrees and only be affected by the gate arm which could be changed to something slimmer to allow better flow. This arrangement would benefit both divorced and bellmouth configurations.

Any thoughts?

Now it must be said that with the gate wide open we would not experience the deflection. It is in the controlling of boost when the gate is modulating boost and maintaining control of boost level that the change in the gate assembly would be most effective and that instance is when boost creep is most prevalent; that is also when we would see spikes in boost. Creep would indeed be helped with porting in divorced DP's as any help in flow within the venting system helps. This is why EWG configurations are so much better when installed on our cars, the venting flow path is huge compared to our internal waste gates and allows much quicker response of the system.

Lol. I sent Grimmspeed my brandy new from Japan VF46 and I am getting a port and ceramic from them. I suggested that they put a bearing on my gate to replace my plate. Maybe at some point they might look into it.

Archived