LegacyGT.com

Strange noise and smell??? TOB?

OneLEGup

I have looked at other posts on here and cant seem to find exactly what I'm looking for so I will post this up. I have an 05 GT with 118,000 miles and this morning, cold a** morning, I noticed that the clutch pedal seemed a little rough and had a little vibration when pressing it to the floor. I also noticed that there was a very odd burning type smell and a squealing noise when it was depressed.

I didnt have time to look and it was still dark out and again cold. As I was driving, when I applied the clutch, just in regular shifting it almost stalled out. Coming to a stop at a stop light, when I did press the clutch in it died and had a hard time starting. I reached where I was going and when I parked I smelled that weird smell again, I pressed the clutch in and every time damn near stalled it and made that horrible high pitched squealing noise. Reading some other posts on here sounds like it could be the TOB. Just wondering what I can do.

:confused::confused:

Have it diagnosed by someone that knows what they are looking for- and have it fixed

Sounded like TOB to me, but I'm not sure about the smell. There's a guide of sorts around the TOB. Maybe the TOB went bad and it's rubbing wrong on that guide.??

I just bought a TOB yesterday (reg maint.) it was about $60 at the dealership. I did find it for 37ish online but I don't have time to wait for shipping.

Yup, time for a new Clutch Kit and TOB. Sounds like the TOB is toast as it's not fully engaging the pressure plate. The smell is prob the TOB as the bearings have dried up and it smells like metal on metal burning. When it starts to go, you'll have scrap metal all inside the bell housing.

Then again, if your CV boot is torn, that will cause a grease burning smell from your DP.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Thank you for moving! So I looked when I got home and I noticed a substance on the front of the downpipe that was not there before all of this happened. Any thoughts?

good god man....you are going thru the same problems I am. strange smell = torn CV boot. my clutch is still working, but I get a belt squeak type noise until I depress the clutch and the shifter can be challenging to get in gear.

07-09 LGT clutch/flywheel/tob, etc...ordered.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yeah the LGT TOB is not the strongest and when it goes it isnt fun. We've had a few come through with the same noise and when we crack the trans all the bearings fall about. So your best bet is just replace it and might as well do the clutch while you are there.

CV boots go especially on the passenger side. Theyre cheap.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

My TSK still went out at around 40K, it all depends on you're driving style. I'm a little bit tough on my car, plus I do alot of heal/toe when down shifting. That puts a little more stress on the clutch system.
My wife's balls are delicious.

mine is going back in the shop tomorrow for a new clutch, tob, etc.. install
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived