LegacyGT.com

Gauging interest in a special order of KW V3 coilovers for 05+ LGT's

Boostjunkie

KW currently only offers a Variant 2 coilovers for the 05+ LGT and while they are extremely fine coilovers, I've been hankering for a set of Variant 3's for our cars. Our KW rep stopped by today to chat and I asked if making some Variant 3's for our cars would be possible. He told me that if I could put together an order for at least 10 sets he would make it happen.

For those somewhat unfamiliar with the KW product line Variant 3's offer rebound AND compression damping adjustability and also feature external resevoirs. They are superb coilovers for the track and the street. Pricing isn't set of course, but should be right in line with the 08 STi Variant 3. Figure around $2100 and you won't be too far off one way or the other.

Post up to this thread and let me know if there is sufficient demand to allow me to push forward with KW :).

If I needed new ones I would definitely be in.

My KW2s are a fine match for my driving abilities (track and street) so until I see an obvious need for more adjustments I will stick with what I have.

Free bump though, on what is undoubtedly a very nice coil-over.

I have not been that impressed with KW v2, not sure if I would try KW v3, but I guess I'd be tempted. Depending on the spring rates. Aren't STI ones supplied with 8 kg springs both front and back? If they were 8/9kg or 8/10kg I'd be interested. I really prefer setups with stiffer springs in the rear - like Bilsteins 6/8kg or Tein Flex 8/9 kg. KW v2 with 7/7 kg springs felt unbalanced.

Finally, there is a rumor that 08 STI suspensions may simply bolt on to our cars - despite different rear suspension arrangement, the rear shocks dimenions are same or close enough. Anyone verified that?

I have not been that impressed with KW v2, not sure if I would try KW v3, but I guess I'd be tempted. Depending on the spring rates. Aren't STI ones supplied with 8 kg springs both front and back? If they were 8/9kg or 8/10kg I'd be interested. I really prefer setups with stiffer springs in the rear - like Bilsteins 6/8kg or Tein Flex 8/9 kg. KW v2 with 7/7 kg springs felt unbalanced.

Finally, there is a rumor that 08 STI suspensions may simply bolt on to our cars - despite different rear suspension arrangement, the rear shocks dimenions are same or close enough. Anyone verified that?

The 2 rear set ups are vastly different when you get them off the cars and on the bench. The 08 STI is even MORE travel challenged than the LGT.

Mw

get them to build the shock bodies so that they may be installed at 1-1.5" higher than stock LGT ride height and I bet you will get some business from all the OBXT folks that are ready to boat anchor their MR CO's. First company (KW or Tein) that build this will get my money.

SeanP

get them to build the shock bodies so that they may be installed at 1-1.5" higher than stock LGT ride height and I bet you will get some business from all the OBXT folks that are ready to boat anchor their MR CO's. First company (KW or Tein) that build this will get my money.

SeanP

Too bad there aren't enough OB owners that mod to make the effort lucrative.

Ok... I'm interested... What will the spring rates be?

That is somewhat open to debate right now. I'd guess 8kg/mm F/R like the V2's, but that is certainly something that can be changed by KW as necessary when this proceeds forward.

I thought V2 are 7kg f/r :confused:

I'd say for track duty 8/9 or 8/10 kg f/r would be the ticket. I like Tein Flex 8/9 kg around track better than my Bilsteins with 6/8 kg springs.

to be honest. thoese rates are still too low to track/autox. ours cars need at least 10-12K springs to control the weight. Im 3-wheeling the car on preloaded tien flexes with 25mm swaybars, so even then, there in not enough spring to keep the car flat.

to be honest. thoese rates are still too low to track/autox. ours cars need at least 10-12K springs to control the weight. Im 3-wheeling the car on preloaded tien flexes with 25mm swaybars, so even then, there in not enough spring to keep the car flat.

I agree.

10-12k if you have R-comps.

In the rain the lower spring rates of the KW2s were perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived