LegacyGT.com

1997 Leg Outback Engine Quit

Hey all,

I have had my 97' Legacy Outback with the 2.5L and 5-speed for about 80,000 (current mileage 177,000) miles now and we have gone on many an adventure. Yesterday though I left the house and ran to a local station, I put in 2gal of gas(this place has pretty high prices) because I was just about out, 3 minutes later when diving down a steep hill I take regularly the motor just died, I got to the bottom of the hill and realized I had lost power steering and brakes it quit that quietly with the clutch in.

I got it to a safe place off the street, and attempted to restart it, the car has gas (smelled the gas cap area to see if the pumpchump(Oregon) had put diesel in it, it smelled normal , and battery power it turns over just doesn't start.

The tow truck driver said it sounded like the ignition timing was off, however this car has electronically controlled ignition so I don't think that's the issue, my dad thinks it could be that the timing belt slipped, but this is an interference engine, so wouldn't that have lead to awful noises as the valves smashed in to the cylinders?

Where would you all suggest I start looking?

you may have not heard damage if the belt snapped or skipped. when was the timing belt replaced?

Honestly, I don't know when it was last replaced, I know, I know, I am hoping to get some ideas to avoid spending the day replacing the belt and find out that its not the issue....

Whelp she's done for.

I just bit the bullett and got in there, turns out the toothed idle gear on the timing belt ceased and ripped the teeth clean off the belt, I got replacements and got it to fire up, but it's clear from the tapping noise that is now there that something rather awful has happened to the valves on one side, so due to that and some other issues it's time to let her go..... :icon_cry:

Archived