LegacyGT.com

Come on Subaru! License plate light replacement

I just noticed that one of the two license plate lights is out. The manual doesn't even give instructions on how to replace it - it just says replacement may be difficult, take it to the dealer. That's insane! There's no reason to (a) make it difficult to replace a bulb or (b) not even provide instructions on how to do it. I guess you have to remove the inside trunk lid lining?

25.License Plate Light

A: REMOVAL

1. SEDAN MODEL

1) Remove the trunk lid trim. <Ref. to EI-70,

TRUNK LID TRIM, REMOVAL, Trunk Room Trim.>

2) Turn and remove the bulb socket (A).

3) Remove the bulb.

so looks like you need to remove the licence plate and work your way from the out side in.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I just noticed that one of the two license plate lights is out. The manual doesn't even give instructions on how to replace it - it just says replacement may be difficult, take it to the dealer. That's insane! There's no reason to (a) make it difficult to replace a bulb or (b) not even provide instructions on how to do it. I guess you have to remove the inside trunk lid lining?

yea u do, buy the right tool and it'll take u 10 mins

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/rear_shocks_procedure_files/image015.jpg

Just be forewarned that when going in through the inside, if you are changing to LED bulbs, some of them suck a$$ and don't stay seated in the socket well. When they fall out of the socket it can be a real biotch to get them out of the light housing.
It is still ugly.

I usually just use a flat head screwdriver and pry each clip side by side..

When I owned my b4 I had almost every light converted to LED including reverse lights/brakes/doors/license plate/fog lights etc..

On the GT I've already done the interior, now moving onto the license plate and then the Parkers in the headlights (not sure what you call them in the states)..

When I replaced the license plate lights last time I went for LED lights.

On the wagon there are two phillips screws from the outside for each light. A little fiddling and they were replaced - hopefully I don't need to go at them again.

453747.png

On the wagon there are two phillips screws from the outside for each light. A little fiddling and they were replaced - hopefully I don't need to go at them again.

Why on Earth didn't they make it that easy for the sedan?!

if you go from the outside, it's much easier. its just a matter of removing the trunk panel (the ones where the emblems are attached) and a few 10mm bolts.

search and you'll find the walkthrough posted somewhere.

Why on Earth didn't they make it that easy for the sedan?!

The catch on the wagon is that you want an extremely long blade on the screwdriver or you won't approach the screws straight and the screwdriver jumps. And keep the knuckles close to the trunk lid. So even the wagon has it's problems.

453747.png

if you go from the outside, it's much easier. its just a matter of removing the trunk panel (the ones where the emblems are attached) and a few 10mm bolts.

search and you'll find the walkthrough posted somewhere.

+1

Makes some scary noises when you're removing it, but its pretty easy overall.

Archived