LegacyGT.com

Foot down and nothing....

Hey there guys, I've noticed a rather concerning issue I'm having with my car. It's a 1998, 2.0L legacy wagon, 240,000k's,auto. I bought it about 3-4 months ago. The problem I've noticed is that, this afternoon as I was driving home, I had been driving for all of 3 minutes and reached a roundabout and came to a stop to give way. When I had right of way and put my foot down to go, it did pretty much nothing...By that I mean that it moved forward a little (very slowly) then stopped moving all together. It didn't even rev the engine. I actually thought the car had stalled at that point. I then took my foot off the gas and then put it back on, it began to slowly (sluggishly and almost an unstable feeling) take off.

The truth is that it isn't the first time it's happened. It's happened once before but I was dumb and thought it was nothing.

Questions: What is it? How do I go about getting this fixed and the final question being the one I really don't want to ask but have to. Is it going to be expensive?

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is relevant to the issue but the car battery died the day before...

Your help would be awesome!

• I Donated
I would put a new battery in it. If you have a bad battery, all kinds of weird things can happen. Sounds to me like your ignition isn't working properly because of low voltage issues from a bad battery.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks, will do. I have asked a friend that is more mechanically minded than I am and he basically said the same thing. I've asked him to take if for the day to have it checked out. He said that it could also be the fuel pump? I can't remeber the actual term he used.

Either way, hoping this is something small because one day of public transport is more than enough for me. :lol:

• I Donated

A fuel pump is a possibility. But I would start with the battery because it sounds to be at least one issue thats going on...and a bad battery can cause the problems you're having

As well, look into doing this free / cheap stuff

Spark plugs

Wires

Clean idle air control valve (carb cleaner)

Clean mass air flow sensor (mass air cleaner)

replace air filter

replace fuel filter

fuel injection service (using seafoam. half in brake booster vacuum line nad half in gastank)

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Going to take it in next week to have a full service and ask them to have a look at what could be causing the issue. It hasn't happened since thankfully though. I've also noticed that the car has a bit of a shake in the wheel when I reach the 90-100km/h speeds and when breaking. I just had the wheels balanced and aligned and that hasn't fixed it. Going to have a look at the brakes next week too. Thanks for the help though brokin.

Archived