LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 Issues. Please help with logs.

PhillyWilly

I will explain my problems as best as possible and thanks in advance for any comments.

I ran Cobb stage 1 on stock setup with Blitz panel filter for about 9 months with no problems, other than getting P0244 (wastegate) CEL once.

I recently installed an Invidia catted DP (still have Blitz filter) and flashed Cobb stage 2. Immediately the car did not feel right. After reving the engine the rpms would dip to 300-400 and the car would almost stall (every time you give it gas) but then would come back up and level at 800. Took it for a drive and it felt like I has less or equal power as stage 1. As soon as I hit 5k rpms in third gear I get boost cut and P0244 CEL. Reset the ecu and tried it 3 times and same result every time.

I have since gone back to stage 1 map and I am still getting the CEL at 5k in 3rd gear (and once in 2nd).

I am thinking the following:

1. Classic Invidia wastegate separator issue. Need to grind it down.

2. The combination of the Cobb tune and the Blitz filter is the culperit.

3. Boost leak? Dont think this is an issue. All hose connections look fine.

-Has anyone had similiar experiences?

-Would the invidia dp wastegate cause the engine to almost stall after evertime I hit the gas? (only does this with stg 2 map, not stg 1)

I am going to take the dp off later today but figured Id check with you guys before wasting my time.

Thanks!

http://www.box.net/shared/nl96b4n7fp

http://www.box.net/shared/zz422vgpd8

thanks. pardon the dumb question but which one is the recirculating valve? im pretty sure everything is as it was before it came off. i did double check to make sure everything was tight.

didnt get a chance to take off the dp today and grind it down. hopefully tomorrow.

I went (Cobb) stage 2 about 2 weeks ago and I get the dreaded P0244 too. I have read through some of the forums and from what I have read I seem to think it has to do with the pill size. What year do you have?

Mine is an 08 and I put on the Perrin DP (single piece). It pulls great until I hit about 80mph then you feel the CEL go off. I have contacted Cobb about their map but they have yet to get back to me. I'm actually kinda pissed off about it. So for now I'm just taking it easy until I can get her dyno'd or get a new map that will work for my car's pill size.

I experienced the exact same problems. After weeks of worthless trouble shooting with a Cobb tech (who claimed I had a mechanical problem), I took it to Precision Tuning. Cleo spent a few quality hours tuning it, and poof, all of my problems were gone. Thank you Cobb for the garbage OTS stage 2 map! :mad:

. . . since I've used the Cobb OTS stage 2 map, I've noticed on their site that there are now different maps for 05-06 and 07-08. (there used to be only one for 05-08)

jurz, i have on 07 <

captain, i plan on going to precision but i want to add more hardware first. i have downloaded the most recent cobb map. i emailed cobb twice and received no response!! worthless! i expect more after paying $700 for an ap! had i known what i know know, i wouldve went opensouce.

specb, i dont think infamous tunes APs. i was goin to try tuning alliance. they are getting good reviews and only $95. i still want to check my invidia wastegate divider first but havent had a chance to. just been drivin like an old lady and my car is not a daily driver so havent driven it much lately.

How is your idle currently? Every single idle problem, i've ever had has been in relation to a boost leak. I almost never have gotten a CEL for a boost leak either. As for the DP it’s not going to affect your idle and peak boost. A stuck open wastegate would affect that but I would be surprised if that is your issue.

The Invidia DP divorce portion sometimes makes contact with the WG flapper and does not allow the flapper to fully open..which causes an overboost situation. you could sometimes hear a rattling sound when that happens though..

I agree, I doubt the DP is the cause of the idle issue. Did you have any problems removing/installing the rear O2 sensor? Maybe it was damaged?

mi idle on the cobb stage 1 map is fine. when i run the stage 2 map it idles ok but after reving the engine the idle will drop below 400 rpms for a couple seconds then return to normal.

i have no ratling sounds. i had no issues with the o2 sensor. i removed it with a sensor socket and put it in the new dp. dont see how it could have been damaged?

i triple checked all hoses and dont see where i could have any leaks. everything looks good. i dont think the dp is leaking but could that cause the problems? i cant hear any leaks, just the louder turbo whine every speaks of.

A couple more ideas for you to try, can’t remember if AP is like opensource in that after flashing a map let the car idle for 3 minutes before giving any throttle so idle gets stable. If I don’t do that my idle sometimes will be rough and will go below desired idle point when letting off the throttle.

A couple of good logs would help, one idle log and one WOT 3rd gear pull from 2-4.5k rpm would provide some useful info. that could point us in the right direcion. After rereading your original post I think what is happening is your IAM is not setting to 1 because you have substantial knock, the ecu has a fail safe built in to the bcs that would have you run on WG pressure to help protect doing damage. It wouldn’t surprise me if we found you’re running 0% WGDC explaining the loss in power.

As for the blitz panel filter, I would go back to OEM unless you are planning on getting tuned for it. I have logged several local LGT’s running non aftermarket filters without tunes and many of them were running lean because of the filter(Perrin, Fram). I let a friend borrow an OEM filter I had sitting around after he complained about being lean in his afr learning ‘cell A’, within 20 miles of driving his afr went back to an acceptable range(+4.8 down from 10.7 IIRC). If you know of a local with a tactrix cable I would recommend taking a log with that, and doing a learning view.

specb, i dont think infamous tunes APs. i was goin to try tuning alliance. they are getting good reviews and only $95. i still want to check my invidia wastegate divider first but havent had a chance to. just been drivin like an old lady and my car is not a daily driver so havent driven it much lately.

I can tune 07' 5MT via Cobb AP ;). But I am not $95 I do not do OTS mapping, I actually tune the car.

A couple more ideas for you to try, can’t remember if AP is like opensource in that after flashing a map let the car idle for 3 minutes before giving any throttle so idle gets stable.

A couple of good logs would help, one idle log and one WOT 3rd gear pull from 2-4.5k rpm would provide some useful info.

As for the blitz panel filter, I would go back to OEM unless you are planning on getting tuned for it.

I have let the car idle for a while, drove around for a while, etc. Nothing stops the idle issue on the stage 2 map.

I have logged WOT in 3rd but cant figure out how to post it (tried above but failed). Whats the best way to post? I can log an idle. I will look for a local guy that wouldnt mind helping me log with taxtrix but it might take a while.

I was thinking of picking up an oem filter. I threw mine out. I will get tuned for it but trying to replace the mid/y and add a tmic first.

I can tune 07' 5MT via Cobb AP ;). But I am not $95 I do not do OTS mapping, I actually tune the car.

You are $150? How much to retune when I add more hardware? Based on above what is your take on if my issue is tuning or other?

You are $150? How much to retune when I add more hardware? Based on above what is your take on if my issue is tuning or other?

Yes updates are half price with a complete reworking. Your logs won't open correctly for me. Based upon what you are describing this is strictly a tuning issue.

Wow you are heavily over boosting, hitting 21.5psi in the second log. That is way over what you should be hitting on a cobb stage 2 base map. Your wastegate is at 0 while you are heavily over boosting. Your DAM never set to 1 either. It would almost appear as if your wastegate is not opening, is it possible this type of dp could be impeding the wastegate from opening at all? Also make sure there is a hose connected to the wastegate nipple, any chance you have taken any logs on your stage 1 map handy? I would recommend staying out of boost till you get this solved.

yeah i figured i need to check the dp first. i will get to it this weekend. i have been staying out of boost, driving in i and shifting at 3.5k. all hose connections look fine. unfortunately i dont have stage 1 logs.

infamous, now that i know you tune APs for 07, i will be hitting you up after i pickup a mid/y and tmic... or i might even get a map now and then upgrade it later.

thanks for the help guys!

Pulled the dp off today and shaved off the separator at least 1/4", probably closer to 1/2". Then replaced my Blitz filter with an oem. Went for a ride and made it through all the gears close to redline with no issues at least 5 times. Maybe on the 6th pull in third gear i get boost cut and CEL again! WTF! I know I took enough off the dp. Looked at pics on here and took a little extra to b sure.

Some Notes:

-My idle still drops to 400 after reving and letting off on the stage 2 map (doesnt do this on stage 1 map).

-I feel like I have more boost on the stage 1 map than stage 2.

-Also feel like the car was quicker before on the stg 1 map and stock dp then on either the stg 1 or 2 and invidia dp.

Ive gone over all the connections and dont see where I could have a boost leak. Could this be a tuning issue? What worries me most is that I felt quicker with the stock dp. How is this possible?!!

Archived