LegacyGT.com

Wheel Bearings - OEM or After market?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally use the Moog Premium Hub bearing assembly as they have a nipple on them that you can use to re grease the bearings without taking the whole assembly apart.

In my opinion best bang for buck they run ~$95 each.

I have run the napa hubs for years on many cars. Most of them are skf bearings, which are good quality. They work well with no issues. If they do fail, the warrenty is much easier to deal with than Subaru, which must have the failure "validated" by a Subaru tech at a dealer, which you must pay for. Kinda silly they do that.

They're really not that bad to change. They are 4 bolt flange bearings. Remove tire, remove caliper from bracket, remove bracket, remove rotor, remove abs sensor, remove axle nut, remove 4 bolts from bearing flange, remove hub assembly and install in reverse.

I did both rears in about 4 hours never having done it before.

I went with oem bearings. Only swapped them out 10k ago but no issues so far.

what brand did you get?

see link in post 9

$40.00 that is cheap. Wonder how long it will last. Keep us updated.

Remember let the PB Blaster do it work. Use anti-sieze pn the bolts when going back together.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It does say "Made in China" on the box. So we shall see. Yes, GEE-OTTO...it needs to go. He wants to do a motor swap. I'm not doing it, the civic has 140,000 miles on it and puffs a little oil. I'm just not all that excited about rebuilding it. However, once we get past this snow storm that dropped 18+ inches of snow. I'll put the wheel bearing in. It's a daily driver so as long as I get a year or two out of it, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the link on the hubs Jmp, I think I will go with [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QHNBH2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]this GMB hub[/ame] from amazon. With Amazon's return policy I'm not too worried about it- I would rather re-do the job until I get a good bearing than pay $120+ for a "genuine" one... Edited by lingling1337

Thanks for the link on the hubs Jmp, I think I will go with this GMB hub from amazon. With Amazon's return policy I'm not too worried about it- I would rather re-do the job until I get a good bearing than pay $120+ for a "genuine" one...

If you buy that hub and it works and works well, then it's a great source for everyone as it's really inexpensive. I do have experience with GMB as they are an OE supplier of some throwout bearings and when I used to rep a clutch line (I won't give the name, but you would recognize it) they had them in their kits and rarely, if ever had an issue.

Please keep us up to date, both of you as if they really do work, then everyone can benefit and I'll put the links on the sticky post as alternatives.

Thanks.

I just installed Moog front hubs today on my 06 gt. Didn't even pull the abs sensor out of the knuckle. Plus advance auto price matches so I got the moogs for $95ish each. About a 15 min install per side from lifting the car to bolting wheel back on. I'd suggest getting rotors at the same time.

If you buy that hub and it works and works well, then it's a great source for everyone as it's really inexpensive. I do have experience with GMB as they are an OE supplier of some throwout bearings and when I used to rep a clutch line (I won't give the name, but you would recognize it) they had them in their kits and rarely, if ever had an issue.

Please keep us up to date, both of you as if they really do work, then everyone can benefit and I'll put the links on the sticky post as alternatives.

Thanks.

I actually needed a rear wheel bearing so I got [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QHJIBU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1]this part[/ame]. Should be here on Saturday. I'll post back with impressions.

I just installed Moog front hubs today on my 06 gt. Didn't even pull the abs sensor out of the knuckle. Plus advance auto price matches so I got the moogs for $95ish each. About a 15 min install per side from lifting the car to bolting wheel back on. I'd suggest getting rotors at the same time.

Update. Got the surgeing then cruise dropped out and light started flashing with the Moogs. I'll pull abs sensors and clean and retest and report back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

From what I remember seeing, moog's have the magnet a little too low thus the ABS sensor doesn't pick it up as well. Let us know if the cleaning helps (there will be plenty of metal shavings stuck to the ABS sensor).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Update. Got the surgeing then cruise dropped out and light started flashing with the Moogs. I'll pull abs sensors and clean and retest and report back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yep, that's why its common knowledge not to use Moog on the fronts. On the rears its fine.

Been there done that. Posted here about it.

Remove them, return them and get OEM or timkin, or skf from NAPA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here