LegacyGT.com

Performance

I have been itching to start modding my car. I have been looking at the AccessPort. My plan is to be at Stage 1 because i don't want to go over kill on my engine. I still need it as my DD. But I wanted to get a Megan Racing OE-RS exhaust with a Cobb sf intake. Upgrade my brakes ( still up in the air). Since i am at 90k I was going to be looking into timing belts. So Gates racing timing belt. And also still looking into the suspension upgrades.

few questions.

1.What are the real problems with running a exhaust and intake with stage 1?

2. What is the safest stage to be in?

3.Should i just start off buying the AccessPort? And get everything after that.

I was looking into the exhaust and intake because i want to hear some more the engine. With some little more power gains.

Thanks Chris:p

Exhaust has no influence on stage 1.. stock exhaust is actually pretty good for stage 1

There is no safest stage.. it all depends on your setup and tune. Off the shelf tunes are too generic, most people get custom tunes from various tuners on this forum.. that way, its tailored specifically for your car with your mods.

You'll get better performance increase with a catless up pipe and a better downpipe long before any cat back exhaust does you any good, plus, the two of them cost cheaper than the CBE and after the tune, it gives you more power than stock up/dp and a tune.

Keep the oem intake system, it's hard to beat.

Replace the UP/DP and keep oem exhaust, my 05 just went to 280whp this past aug, see my sig.

If you want more sound from the oem exhaust place a washer or two between the Y pipe and mufflers.

My 09 has no mufflers on the oem exhaust and its at Cobb stage 1.

Take care of the engine and it will treat you well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea. I baby her for the most part right now. No long drives no launches. I haven't looked into a down and up pipe but I will see. My goal power would be 290hp and idk how much whp. And to get my torque at 270. And if I can get that with a lil rumble in the jungle(engine ) I will be a happy camper. But I will look into that. So do you think I am better off with a tune from a person or accessPort?

basic stage 2 upgrades will give you what you want. ERZ/CNT downpipes are common. Get a cattless up pipe before ur stock one blows and destroys your turbo. Get an opensource tune (infamous for an etune or from a reputable local place in VA). Dont bother with the accessport its over priced and u can use the saved money for issues that arise down the road.

Yes you need a tune with those mods.

Get an uppipe and downpipe and you can run a stage II map. Keep the stock intake, stock bypass (blow-off) valve, and you can keep your stock cat-back exhaust as well. Just need the uppipe and down pipe for stage II. I recommend getting these pipes with the fittings for the stock EGT and O2 sensors. You can get an uppipe without the EGT sensor bung... but if you do, you need to put a resistor in place of the sensor to fool the ECU.

The stage II ROM will tell the ECU to ignore this signal CEL as well.

You can opt to upgrade the intercooler as well, the stage II tunes can use the stock top-mount or an aftermarket top-mount.

But all that more air going towards my cat-back wouldn't I need a upgrade so I don't blow it?>

No. people run 350 whp on the stock cat-back. Not recommending that, but I have seen it before. At stage II levels, the cat-back is mostly just for sound. stock cat-back is not that restricting... the air is cooler and more dense by the time it gets to the CBE. So, you really just need to open up the downpipe immediately after the turbo.

No. people run 350 whp on the stock cat-back. Not recommending that, but I have seen it before. At stage II levels, the cat-back is mostly just for sound. stock cat-back is not that restricting... the air is cooler and more dense by the time it gets to the CBE. So, you really just need to open up the downpipe immediately after the turbo.

What do you mean by that last part?

I meant, as far as exhaust upgrades go, the most important is always the part just after the turbo.

You still need to replace the uppipe before the turbo because the uppipe has a cat converter in it. At higher boost levels the cat can break apart and enter the turbo. For this reason, you need to replace the uppipe.

So - to be clear - replace your uppipe and downpipe, and you can go stage II. Top-mount intercooler is optional but not necessarily needed at that point.

Archived