LegacyGT.com

Who will the Legacy GT shootout include?

What's your guesses? I'm seeing the most likely candidates being: -Audi A4 Quattro -Acura TSX -BMW 3-Series -Honda Accord -Infiniti G35 -Lexus IS300 -Mazda6 -Nissan Altima or Maxima -Saab 9-3 or 9-5 -Toyota Camry -VW Jetta or Passat

I think for the sake of tradition, the competitors for the Legacy in the comparo will be the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda 6, and probably the Passat. Thats where it always has been. It might get the stigma of being pricey, but I see it coming in second place to the Accord with the verdict of "The family sedan that thinks its a sports car" :)

[quote name='SUBE555']What's your guesses? I'm seeing the most likely candidates being: -Audi A4 Quattro -Acura TSX -BMW 3-Series -Honda Accord -Infiniti G35 -Lexus IS300 -Mazda6 -Nissan Altima or Maxima -Saab 9-3 or 9-5 -Toyota Camry -VW Jetta or Passat[/quote] Add Volvo to your list (V70 T5 or V50 T5 AWD) How about mercedes C-class SportWagon 4matic?

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='Sub-attraction']I can see the family car comparo based on tradition and outward appearance but I can also see it deserving a comparo with Passat 4-motion, G35 awd, 325xi and Audi A4 Quattro.[/quote] likewise.

[quote name='Sub-attraction']I can see the family car comparo based on tradition and outward appearance but I can also see it deserving a comparo with Passat 4-motion, G35 awd, 325xi and Audi A4 Quattro.[/quote] This seems the most likely roundup to me. Car & Driver, who generally runs the best comparos, is very good about grouping like birds, so anything else in the comparo will have, of necessity, AWD. I'd throw in the new Volvo, if they can get their hands on one of the T5 AWDs for the test. Is there a cheap enough 4Matic Mercedes? Kevin

I'd like to see it compared to the G35, 3-series, V40 T5, Passat, and TL. I think that would really show what a performance value it is. I hope it's not compared to Camry, Accord, and Jetta, where comfort, interior, and MPG are likely to be weighed more heavily than performance. I think the cars chosen for the shootout will affect how the leg is perceived, so it'll be interesting to see what they do pick.

[quote name='P2x']aaaggh! I just need a review of the _USDM_ Legacy.. like... now! :o[/quote] :lol: We should be seeing stuff in the June mags, would be my guess/hope, if only for more information, even if the only question for me is what allocation my car is coming in. :D Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']About a week, week and a half... my Car and Driver usually come within the first 6 days of the month.[/quote] ..are we sure it's gonna be reviewed in this coming issue, or is that just blind faith?

[quote name='racerdave']About a week, week and a half... my Car and Driver usually come within the first 6 days of the month.[/quote] :( Mine come almost 2 weeks later, think we got our C&D earlier this week. Guess I'll have to head over to the ol Barnes to catch up on my material before it gets to our place. I swear we're on the very end of the mailing list. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with my last name starting with a 'V'.

The question is, what type of comparison will the magazines do? If they want to compare AWD sedans, then it might include G35 AWD, 325xi, or A4 1.8t quattro. A pure performance sedan comparison would put it against the S4, M3, possibly the new Altima SE-R, maybe the S60r, 9.3 Aero and/or some overpriced M-Benz product. I do not anticipate this comparison. The best comparison, which will consequently paint Subaru in the best light, will be performance sedans at or near the $30k mark. This would include cars like the TSX, S40 T5 (FWD), Altima SE-R, Accord, Mazda 6, A4 1.8t (FWD), G35 or 325xi. This type of comparison would pit the Legacy against it's most similar competitors (on price and size), while allowing the magazines to choose the cars to compare from a broader base of cars to draw conclusions.

Archived