LegacyGT.com

Overheat

Yesterday I was running around and noticed right as I pulled into my driveway that my temperature guage was reading real high. I let it cool and then took it out for a short trip to see what it would do. I notice that if I'm on the go I can drive it like I stole it (I usually do) and it stays right at horizontal. But accelerating or parked it goes up in fast. I'm thinking it could be hg seal broken and dumping exhaust into my cooling system. Any ideas/suggestions? Oh and also it's making a gurgling sound that I only noticed after turning it off...which again leads me to think there's air or exhaust getting into the cooling system.

Wow thanks... That tank was very low almost dry. So I'm guessing the turbo was spraying hot air. Could that be the reason for the issue or is that likely a side effect of some greater problem that this is just a symptom of?

Yes, lets not jump to conclusions.

Make sure you burp the system too, to make sure you have no air in there.

You may need to jack up the right front corner of the car to get all the air out by squeezing the hoses while the engine is running with the cap off the tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is going to be a stupid question, but I'm not all that knowledgeable on the subject and my previous two turbo subies were low miles and never a problem. Should I top off that extra tank on top or is it shared with the radiator and if that's full it's all good?

They are both part of the cooling system and both need to be full. Check if your cooling fans work. If the temperature reaches past midpoint and the fans dont turn on, you may have a bad relay/s.

If the fans do work, the impeller on your water pump is damaged or not attached to the shaft, or possibly you thermostat is stuck closed.

If you are unsure how your cooling system works, you may want to have a mechanic take a look. Overheating your engine is one sure way to kill it quick.

Good luck.

The fans are definitely kicking in. I haven't ran it since my last question I figured it better to wait for the answer than possibly doing something that would damage it. I'll give it a short test run and see if its still heating up after filling the intercooler tank more. I'll probably take it to a pro after the holiday just to be sure even if all seems well. Thanks for the input

So I topped off the coolant. Got it out on the road to warm it up for a few minutes. Wasn't getting too hot accelerating or sitting still. But when I parked it, I got a nice big cloud of sweet smelling smoke rolling up from the front right. I'm hoping it's just a broken or loose hose... I could also see a little bit of coolant laying on the top side of the plastic underside engine cover. I'm sure I spilled a bit but I really doubt it was that much. So next step is tracking down the leak to see if it's something I can handle.

Haven't been able to do much with it the past few days with work and the holiday. Worst part is we got our first real snow of the year and I had to drive a jeep to and from work... Truly embarassing to be seen driving a jeep in the snow when my primary vehicle is a subaru... lol

So I got the car into my garage and looked more closely at what's going on. The smoke is coming up from the spots in the picture here. I can't see how they didn't know about this when I bought this car... about 3k miles of the 85k on it are mine. Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices law might be the way to go for me here I think :mad:

problem.thumb.jpg.1c3aba71a6e6eeaf22235bd81a3c1884.jpg

1245658306_mirrorshot.thumb.jpg.c43576f31fbc4c823a098d667543e049.jpg

I'm dropping it off at a shop tomorrow... I'll update on here once they tell me what's going on with it. I like to at least have a direction to point them in so they don't spend hours just looking around before they get to work on it. I'm going to ask if they can tell me the cel code that came up too. I'm guessing it'll be directly related but if there's something the computer sees but they don't I'm sure I can find out what the code means here :-)

• Moderators
I'm dropping it off at a shop tomorrow... I'll update on here once they tell me what's going on with it. I like to at least have a direction to point them in so they don't spend hours just looking around before they get to work on it. I'm going to ask if they can tell me the cel code that came up too. I'm guessing it'll be directly related but if there's something the computer sees but they don't I'm sure I can find out what the code means here :-)

Now you mention that there's a CEL...:rolleyes:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I got a really random over heating situation a couple months back out of the blue! ha...

Never had an issue in the past, one morning after work, driving the car home, my buddy JUST just dropped it off the night before from doing some unrelated maint work to it, drove completely fine for a 20 drive back to my work, nonetheless, I start it, start driving, and almost immediately notice the temps start climbing beyond the normal "Mid-point" the gauge normally reflects... Completely shocked, I pull over, find a local shop and limp it over there through the course of a few mile burst/shutoffs to keep temps below anything crazy...

So the local shop guy, not that he seemed like he was trying to make over on me or anything, but after an hour or so, he calls me back and tells me "So we did notice your coolant is low, and it could be related to your water pump... We are not seeing any circulation, mentions we can fill it, to get a better idea whats going on, I say fine" Calls me back moments later, says turns out once we filled it, the pump begin circulating again, so it's not your pump, but we did this test (Forgot what they called it) where they put a rag over the coolant/radiator opening, and start the car with a funnel in there, and then put some emissions tool to gauge c02, I say ok, he tells me they did get a small reading of gases and some bubbling which leads him to believe my HG is bad... ha... OK... Well needless to say, I'm just not buying that my HG is shot, and I lost all my coolant out of nowhere, with ABSOLUTELY ZERO other signs, no puffs of smoke nothing... I tell him to fill it up, so I can at least get back into town and figure out what I want to do with it... Well I get it home, I monitor the coolant levels, and one day even looked to see if I could see any bubbling even in it's most insignificant levels in my coolant overflow reservoir which I'd assume if he's claiming he's seeing bubbles in my coolant/radiator that the same gas would just follow the path out the reservoir... None the less, watched it for 4-5 minutes straight, couple revs of the engine in the process, nothing! 2 months later I'm driving my car, no symptoms to resurface... I'm REALLY speculating that there was some minor burn off possibly from the last coolant change, and potentially even a air pocket in the system that maybe purged suddenly on it's own.. ha

I'm sure this isn't just a fluke. I got it to the shop today without any high temp. issues but it's clearly burning coolant off still. It was only producing a little smoke so maybe it's a slow leak that I just didn't notice until it dropped too low. Worst case scenario I'll have to trade it in on the BRZ my local dealer has as "used" with 18 miles on it...which would be a damn shame :-)

Happened to me recently. It was a slew of issues. As I fixed one the other popped up, all relating to the cooling system. Anyways, had two leaks from radiator top tank hose and the other from hose going to the turbo reservoir. Changed them both, then the overheating came. It was coupled with the reservoir tank, (Driver side) being filled and not being drawn from. Changing radiator cap solved that. So just check for leaks, when all leaks are accounted for, change the cap(s) and that should solve it.

I hope it's that simple for me even if it's a bunch of little things better than the TMIC leaking or the radiator. I could see that it is at least in part that the hose from the top of the rad to the turbo tank was seeping a little on the turbo side.

So I get the car back from the shop... only leak they found was what I had too top of rad. to the turbo tank. But now it whines something aweful whenever I turn the wheel and it's a little jumpy feeling too. Should it be necessary to remove or in any way screw around with the power steering tubes or tank while replacing that hose? (All Stock)

• 6 months later...
So I get the car back from the shop... only leak they found was what I had too top of rad. to the turbo tank. But now it whines something aweful whenever I turn the wheel and it's a little jumpy feeling too. Should it be necessary to remove or in any way screw around with the power steering tubes or tank while replacing that hose? (All Stock)

What's the latest, was it resolved?

Archived