LegacyGT.com

Intake Manifold

scoobiedoo05

Hey guys and gals,

My 05 gt has a leak that i have been trying to fix for a while now, so i brought it into the shop and they came back telling me that my lower intake manifold was leaking bad.

I am not familiar with what this looks like or where to find a replacement parts for it. I asked if it was the TGV's but they said it was lower then that. That part just confused me so any information about that would be helpful.

Also i was wondering if there was any alternative to our plastic intake manifolds (like the STI's manifold)?

Thank you for any info.

lolol. our manifolds dont crack, and if your's did then you did something seriously wrong.

lower manifold are the tgv's, which are a separate part all together from the intake manifold.

there's a gasket between the head and the tgv's(probably where the leak is, there's no lower manifold than this, unless they're trying to tell you the head is leaking, lol), and the tgv's to intake manifold

www.opposedforces.com

ya i kinda figured they were the tgvs.

the shop i brought it too by my house seems a little sketchy and didnt seem they knew what they were talking about since they wanted 1300 to fix it, and they were the ones who told me that our manifolds were notorious for cracking

Probably because he noticed it was "plastic" and figured it was weak. Infact its a dense composite that is difficult to crack, and the design of the manifold gaskets being rubber and tall in structure prevents warping of the manifold from overtorquing on a flat surface(like the tgv to head gasket). The temperature fluctuations can change the characteristics of the composite so it needs a cushiony gasket for expansion and contraction. (much why the torque specs on maniold 10mm bolts are only 6ftlbs)

You have a 05, there are a few things you'll want to do while the intake manifold is lifted off the engine.

Replace the orange o-rings at Intake to TGV's.

Tighten the 6 hose clamps on the gas lines.

Rotate the one clamp so you can tighten from the top, if ever needed.

Have screw type hose clamps ready, to replace the oem style that need special tool.

See my thread for some pictures.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived