LegacyGT.com

Subaru of Hong Kong prices

dolesun

my friend told me that those prices include better tires and interiors, HID, us$1000 rebate, 3yr maintenance, 1 ton of gas, 8yr basic warranty, and most importantly, they are 100% made in Japan, the u.s. legacy is assembled at SIA and you just cannot compare it to SOJ.

This Space For Rent

my friend told me that those prices include better tires and interiors, HID, us$1000 rebate, 3yr maintenance, 1 ton of gas, 8yr basic warranty, and most importantly, they are 100% made in Japan, the u.s. legacy is assembled at SIA and you just cannot compare it to SOJ.

I guess that's not a bad deal with all that..........a ton of gas is worth it already these days :lol:

HKD239,900 / 8 = USD29987.5

Not too bad. The cost of living is higher in HK. HK car enthuaism is really weird. It's either european or crazy japanese style. The mini cooper is a big hit with HK residents. The guys like it because there's some really mean m3-style bodykits for it and decent power upgrades. The girls like it because it's small and cute and easy to drive in the city. Both like it because it's relatively quick, fun to drive and doesn't cost to much to own.. And easy to park =). Other people are into the BMWs, Benz, Lambos, Maybachs, Rolls, etc.

People that are in japanese crazy are into the evos, chasers, hondas. Hardcore import tuning is probably as expensive as here in the US. Exhausts still cost in the thousands; maybe a little cheaper but not much. Coilovers still cost, upgrades still cost. The service is a lot better though. I was in one store and some guy bought a new headunit. Even before he put his credit card down, 3 guys took his new stuff and a box of tools and started dismantling his dash. It looked like they were stripping the car but they had it installed in about 5 minutes.

HK people either have money and drive or just walk. And most of the time, walking will get you there quicker.

My uncle had a BE, he sold it when he got married. Next time I visit, I'm bringing back parts.

I like the older style Skylines, I only saw a handful while there and probably the same one over and over. I see a lot of nicer cars on HK Island with their high end German and exotic cars.

Is there such a thing as middle class in HK? Well they don't have tax. People have money or poor. The only good thing there is that you're never too far from the MTR. Unless you're in to NT. I'd take the bus but I can't read and pay for taxis.:p

I hear Mong Kok is a good area for car parts...and hookers.;)

Sometimes HK is old school. We don't want deem dare fancy top o the line stuff. A lot of R32's exist on the streets. A couple 33's and 34's prowl at night in a couple car clubs I've seen.

You're right. You're either in the working class (everyday life, kids, family, good job, good health) or really stinking rich. That's pretty much it. HK does have a tax in place. It's a flat tax of 15%. So it works itself out. Working class people get taxed 15% on 30-40-50-whatever K a year and the people who make a million dollars a year well .. 15% of a million, you do the math. Probably why there's a lot of investments and investors. They teach new employees about 401k right off the bat so you can "hide" your money. There's also a lot of shady scratch my back and I'll scratch your back business ventures.

Stinking rich you say? How so? There's a multi-billionaire that has a pink rolls-royce and the entire interior where he sits is silk. Yep. And all he wears is silk pajamas. Kinda like the chinese version of Hugh.

You can't handle buses and taxi's? Almost 90% of HK is in english. Bad english, but english nonetheless. You can't possibly get lost. And if you're not chinese ...most people are helpful.

.... Don't touch the ladies down MK. They're dirty. =/.

You can get anything in MK, not just hookers and car parts. At the end of the market street I used to buy dvds, I think they are busting them more every year. You know you are there when you smell the 'chow do fu'

If you get a gallon of gas which weighs roughly 6lbs. That is ~333 gallons of gas at $2.50/gallon (US Prices) is $832.50 which is pretty good but not that good but you do get all of that other stuff too including a better warranty.

gas prices outside the U.S. (and of course those countries that supply oil) are very expensive.

This Space For Rent

Over in TST, there's always the monthly software raids. only the shop openers that need money stay open.... and they all get busted. I walked in on a saturday and it was a ghost town. I watched the news the same night and they arrested 30 shop owners with enough pirated software to fill small plane. I think it was something like 500 trillian dollars worth of software. Of course all the officials were like - look at us .. we made a difference. Yea .. monday .. everyone else was open - business as usual.

Nowadays, mainland folks are coming down and trying to get some business opportunities going. Not sure about all that.

There's just income tax. There's no "state" tax. It's easy because whatever the pricetag says it costs, is whatever it is. Then you start working the deal ... so how about I get 2 .. one for me and my buddy .. you cut 25% off AND .. you throw in ...

Old-style business and a handshake. Good stuff.

What I mean is tax on goods. My English is fine, its' my Chinese. I can't read it but only speak it. I can tell a cabbie where to go and even fool them that I wasn't born there cause I speak it fluently. I'm talking about 4 years ago when I was there for the first and only time. The double decker buses didn't have any English on them only the MTR has that automated voice and has English for the routes. The Octopus pass beats the Metrocard in terms of reliable use. Works like an EZ Pass and I don't have to keep swiping it cause the damn swipe thing is dirty.

Cabbies nickel and dime you now. It's not worth it. All the "modern" buses have those LED signs and 10" lcd monitors now. "modern" means any bus that has AC. =). even some of the older buses have been retrofitted as well as the trolleys.

the MTR and octopus should be used here in the US. it's the best damn thing since sliced bread. Now everything is hooked into .. i call it the infinity card because they're starting to promote that you can use it anywhere. You see kids get home off the MTR, swipe the card to pay their fees, run over to Maxims and buy some buns, run over to 7-11 and buy the latest mag .. all using the same card. And the readers are so sensitive .. the women don't bother taking it out of their purse .. they just drag it over the reader. The guys just pull out their wallets and run the whole thing over it.

Little bit of ABC? =P. j/k.

More like a lot of ABC. I had my chance to learn it in a school on weekends but the teachers are mean SOB. Hell, they even hit you and this was 16 years ago. When I was like 9 or 10. I watch Chinese movies now and some then but more now since they're on DVD, I would pick up a copy of the New Police Story it's good. I learn all the curse words from those movies.

Anyway, I guess a lot has changed since I was last there. Surprisingly since I hear that HK isn't doing so well with everything going to mainland. My brother came back and said it was cleaner now due to SARS than it was back when we went. I know when I went there it wasn't that clean. It's just too hot and humid when I went and the pollution is too much for me at times. When I was in HK I usually tip everywhere I go.

I know that cars are expensive new but damn, they seem to depreciate so much.

HK is so hot because there's just so many people on the ground level and the buildings trap all that heat. Whether it's dirty or clean, I'm probably going to plan a trip again sooner or later. I have no personal grudges with mainland folk but there's a lot of bad stuff going on north of the border.

It's funny how back in the day everyone was like "omg skylines are so awesome". So then you hear companies like MotoRex are trying to import R34s for 90k+. And they're used! I flip through the HK newspaper. R32s and R33s are selling for 12-15k. Yea.. 15k or 90k. Plus not a lot of car people like the skyline because everyone knows it's a speed machine. I'm more into the r34 sedan. That's hot. I mean you can buy the nismo ecu upgrade from the parts department - c'mon where's the fun?

The evo8 has made a big splash there. Kinda like the underdog. And just like here for the legacy, they have the 2mph bumper set so of course everything looks cooler.

Not sure about that. Probably though. Jackie's getting old though. Tony Jaa is suppose to be the next Jackie Chan. He's thai though. Anyway, HK has DSMs everywhere because almost every delivery truck is a DSM. The fun part is when the drivers decide to put a bodykit (front bumper) on a delivery truck. Why? ... Hey, why not.

When I was there, I saw one a public light bus. It was really loud and I didn't think too much of it. The driver was younger. Most drivers are in their mid to late 30s or even 40s. This guy was probably mid 20s. And he's wearing racing gloves. As the bus goes by, this guy as enough stickers on his window to make your head spin. HKS, Apexi, etc etc etc. C'mon .. On a bus? This guy is dumb. And then my uncle was like "oh hey, there's a bus, that's really convienent". So we get on. This guy was awesome. He's driving around taking apex'es, going through traffic like they were chicanes.. All with 20 people in the back. We got to where we needed to be in about 1/2 the time.

Car depreciation in HK is pretty quick because of the % of people that can actually use a car. Everyone can afford one but it's all about practicality and the "other" costs like garage space, storage space for parts, tune ups, etc. My uncle says that he knows a friend that exports anything including cars. There's a lot of loopholes you can do to make your car make it to wherever it needs to go. Like pull the engine out. No engine = a non working car. You can put any reason down like the car will be a stationary show piece "for display only" for my fakecompanyname. Then a month later the engine arrives. Car with no engine + car's original engine = working car. Oops. =).

HK uses the same stuff that JP uses (RON rating I think) so the octanes numbers are slightly off. I'm not sure if a car will work over here straight out-of-the-container.

Archived