LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OEM stopped holding stage 2 after 10k miles. Exedy HD stopped holding my 20G after about 1500 miles. Stage 3 Comp Clutch couldn't hold during my first logging pull. Exedy sprung twin disc stopped holding after 6k miles and 30ish launches.

4 engines if I include the original.

:lol:

ACT unsprung 6 puck with a stock flywheel. When it lets go, swap the disc and keep driving.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...

Probably should update my "clutch" issue.

Clutch didn't go out. I snapped a rear axle. No one makes a stronger replacement for the specB's, so OEM axle went back in. There will be a stronger option coming soon though.

My clutch is still acting a little funny since the track, so I have replacement discs in hand ready to swap when the time comes.

Car is now at the body shop getting the driver side rear door fixed from my neighbor sliding into me during the winter.

OEM stopped holding stage 2 after 10k miles. Exedy HD stopped holding my 20G after about 1500 miles. Stage 3 Comp Clutch couldn't hold during my first logging pull. Exedy sprung twin disc stopped holding after 6k miles and 30ish launches.

4 engines if I include the original.

:lol:

Probably should update my "clutch" issue.

Clutch didn't go out. I snapped a rear axle. No one makes a stronger replacement for the specB's, so OEM axle went back in. There will be a stronger option coming soon though.

My clutch is still acting a little funny since the track, so I have replacement discs in hand ready to swap when the time comes.

Car is now at the body shop getting the driver side rear door fixed from my neighbor sliding into me during the winter.

I like you buy you drive like an asshole and drop that clutch WAY too hard. Its a subaru :lol:

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the GTX 3076r and the GT 3076r that NSFW has?

From Garrett:

The next step in the evolution of the turbocharger is here! Garrett® GTX-R Turbos feature all new compressor wheels with next generation aerodynamics and improved efficiency to deliver wicked performance; now available in midframe sizes!

Garrett® GTX-R turbos feature:

10%+ Gain in flow over traditional GT compressor wheel designs

10%+ Higher pressure ratio compared to traditional GT compressor wheel designs

Forged, fully machined wheels

Latest compressor wheel aerodynamic design for improved efficiency

Outline interchangeable with Garrett® GT Series turbos

Garrett® OE-quality for unbeatable reliability

The key thing is that they're making more power from the same-size compressor wheel, or the same power from a smaller wheel if you prefer.

His GTX 3076 top end is in the same neighborhood as the old GT 3582, but with less lag.

The GTX 3071 (the next size down from his) is probably pretty close to my GT 3076 at full power, and it might spool up a little quicker.

...in theory anyway. I haven't seen enough dyno plots to know for sure since they're still pretty new. And I'm trying not to tempt myself... :)

Yes, stock location. But is WRX style, so it would need either Process West TMIC or FMIC. I welded the internal waste gate flapper and clocked the turbo for a direct fitment with my AVO FMIC, without the need for extra pipes. Perfect fit.

• 1 month later...

So.... Where to start?

I got about 10k miles into the motor. The last 3k miles were on E85.

Was hitting a long straight (track) and around 130-140mph (high engine load), something hiccuped and lost power and boost. With all the symptoms, it looked to be a head gasket failure. After the engine was torn apart, things became more apparent. I had some sort of massive detonation in cylinder 2 that blew a hole through the side of the piston and blew out the head gasket.

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-6v3zSqT/0/L/i-6v3zSqT-L.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-9hc7hjg/1/L/i-9hc7hjg-L.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-XGVsJZn/0/L/i-XGVsJZn-L.jpg

The tip of the spark plug melted

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-w29rFnQ/0/L/i-w29rFnQ-L.jpg

And to top it off, one of my cams broke again. Exactly like the last one, but this one is a different cam.

My car was tuned for 20psi, since my fueling at the moment couldn't handle the higher flow required for E85 at higher boost.

I've got a couple stock EJ25 blocks on hand, and one of them looks good enough to do a light hone for a set of 99.5mm drop in pistons.

I will also be going with new valves, springs, and retainers.

I am looking at my options for larger cams.

And I will probably do a mild port on my heads.

My crank and rods are still perfect, so those will be reused.

I just need to decide what compression ratio pistons I want to use with my D25 heads. I will exclusively be running E85.

Edited by Strizzy

Bummer.

On a more positive note, I'm finally talking with Andrewtech about axles.

Told you that you should talk to them!

Striz - do you have/need a KB pickup? I have one I want to sell.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Told you that you should talk to them!

Striz - do you have/need a KB pickup? I have one I want to sell.

Funny thing is, the first response I got was basically, "no, we use DSS for axles." I didn't realize until a couple weeks later that there was a followup that actually expressed some interest. :) They're going to check in with Albins first, and then we'll see where this goes...

This thread is getting ridiculous. This has to be flat out terrible builds by the machinist/ builder, crappy tuner etc.

Who and the hell has the money to put this many built motors in their car.

There is no way this is just bad luck......

I just looked at the logs on post 200 (kinda late, I know...) and most of them seem OK, but the last one shows the MAF sensor maxing out at 5 volts at 6200 RPM, which is a bad sign. It's likely (though not certain) that the mixture was going lean over the next few hundred RPM.

That can be tuned around, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. Or it could be due to a boost leak (I have a 73mm intake on my car and I haven't ever maxed it out) which would tend to make it go rich... impossible to say what's up without AFR in the log.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got word back from the machine shop that the block I dropped off if perfectly good to use 99.5mm pistons with a very light hone.

I will be going with CP 9.0:1 compression pistons.

My crank and rods are good to be re-used.

The machine shop will get the correct ACL bearings.

I am going with Supertech standard size intake valves and standard size inconel exhaust valves.

The heads are getting ported as well.

I will be keeping my Tomei 252/252 cams.

I am also swapping to a N/A aluminum intake manifold, then using AVO's N/A turbo kit piping from my FMIC to the intake manifold. So no custom piping has to be made. Everything should be easy to bolt together.

After driving a 700whp STI with an Exedy triple disk unsprung clutch last night, I really want to put one in my car. That is by FAR the BEST feeling clutch I've ever driven. Feels like stock, or even slightly less pedal pressure. But since my twin disc is still perfectly good, I'll stick with that for now.

Edited by Strizzy