LegacyGT.com

"Studdering" Fix Released

Opie

I wouldn't have been surprised at all if it had ended up being the fuel filter. I've always described it as the feeling you get when you need to change the fuel filter. I would just love to find a dealership that is actually concerned with finding the problem I am feeling and fixing it. Getting dicked around by techs at dealerships who probably drive Honda Civics is not what I expected to have happen after I bought this car. I guess Subaru is known more for their cars than they are for customer service. They suck in that regards. Its almost enough at this point for me to recommend against buying one just for the fact that if you have a problem you are going to be jerked around and treated like an idiot.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my 7500 mile service on Saturday. While I was there I asked about the reflash. Amazingly they knew what I was talking about. However, they said there were only a certain amount affected. They said if Subaru was going to fix it I would receive a letter. I can save them the time because I know it is there. Has anyone else heard this or does it affect all gt's?

The dealer needs to pull the CID# from your ECM and compare it to the list I posted earlier (on Page #6 of this thread...) that will identify your car as needing the reflash or not. There will not be any letters sent out.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd re-post what I put in the non-sticky thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by me

I spoke to my Subaru District Service Operations Manager in mid-June. He test drove the car, and confirmed that this is "surging" and that it is the same phenomena that can be found on all 05 LGT 5M's. He initially said that there was nothing that he could do because it was "normal" meaning that the car was running as it was designed, albeit shitty. The issue is that the car is running lean at that point to meet emissions standards. He said that the '06 models would have the same engine hardware, but a different ECU map which gives more horsepower, but he couldn't be sure when that ECU map would be available, or if they would be able to use it on an '05. While I was in the process of telling my dealer that they could take the car back, I got a call from the Ops Mgr who said that Subaru would have a fix at the end of June. Since I really want to keep the car, I decided to see what would happen. He didn't call like he said he would, but I called early this month and learned that the ECU flash was available. I took the car in last week to have the work done, but the problem is not fixed!!!! They did change something in the map, because the stuttering/surging isn't as bad, but it's not fixed. I took the service writer for a test drive, and he said it was turbo lag. I won't go there. So the next step is to let the tuner at my local dealer take it for a spin with his PC attached and see what he can tell me.

This is complete BS. I can't believe that Subaru is treating customers like this! I'm a young guy who's spend a lot of money on a car, and will be buying many more cars before I take the eternal celestial dirt nap. They claim that they're trying to build their customer base back, but this isn't helping.

[/size][/font]

BigBen,

Did they pull your ECU and send it out, or just perform a reflash while still in the car? Just curious to see if the solution they gave you (which apparently didn't work) was the same as the one Opie bought to our attention with this thread.

Has anyone had success with this new "fix" yet??? :(

I have an appointment tomorrow morning, so I will make sure to post a follow-up. Not sure what's going to happen, but there's other things that they have to fix with the car, anyway, so if it's going to be there for a few days...it's all good.

I just hope that they can get it resolved, and don't give me the hassles that everyone else seems to be having. Otherwise, I will tell them to call Mastro Subaru, in Florida, for a confirmation of this issue!!! hehe..hopefully Opie will pick up...though I am sure I have read your real name, I cannot guess what it is!! Thanks for this info. though...as I have mentioned many a time...and hopefully, it comes to a resolve.

I'm at Northpark Subaru in San Antonio right now... I took the shop foreman for a ride this morning and he said he definitely felt the surging and is going to call the techline... I'll probably be bringing the car back on Monday or so for the ECU process, but that remains to be seen. At least when I demonstrated, he didn't try to say "Oh, it's just that way" or "I didn't feel anything" so I'm pleased so far. I have a chance to get it fixed.

DKB

Is this a MT only issue??

It seems to be more noticeable with the 5MT, but 5EAT owners have reported the problem as well. This makes sense, because the 5EAT has a little more "slack" to cushion the on/off/on/off power when it's surging. Some people report no problem at all, though...

The shop foreman said he'd felt it in other cars, he didn't say anything about MT or AT distinctions...

UPDATE: the shop foreman came to talk with me in the waiting room to say that the Subaru tech line knew immediately what he was talking about, asked me if I could drop the car off Monday morning (25 July) and pick up a loaner so they can send off the ECU, we agreed on the schedule and HE (the shop foreman) scheduled my appointment with the service writer... I double-checked while I was waiting for the porter to bring my newly-washed car back.

Northpark Subaru, San Antonio, TX: Doesn't try to deny the problem (though they couldn't seem to duplicate it at first, without me in the car), worked to find out what to do with the Techline, and immediately scheduled me for the fix. Oh, and they have WiFi in the customer lounge. So far my two service visits with Northpark are better than any VW service experience I had in 15 years.

DKB

Just called up my service department. They're aware of the issue and I have an appointment to take the car in on Monday for them to start the reflash process. My service writer (John K @ Rancho for the San Diego folk), said that they'd need the car for 3-5 days to get the ECU out, send it back to SOA and then have it resent back to San Diego. Not sure where the ECU has to go but if it's a coast-to-coast thing, that's not too bad. And they'll put me in a loaner/rental until I get the car back. Glad it's getting taken care of.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just called Dulles Motor Cars in Northern Virginia and they said they did not know about the problem nor did they deny any problems. They asked me to bring it in for a service call to replicate the problem and then they would call SoA for a serice authorization and have it reflashed. While I was on the phone he also asked if I had any cluth related problems and I said yes as a matter of fact I do. I told him the clutch is slipping somewhat and that it has a terrible odor. He said Subara has issued a fix for both of these problems. What makes me feel very good about this is that he volunteered the information. Way to go Dulles Motoros Cars for being proactive with this information.

Yes, they did. Great dealership service so far from Austin Subaru.

Awesome, i'll be taking my car there just as soon as I can stand parting with it.

Any ideas on when/if dealers will get the equipment to do this themselves?

Greetings all... I'm such a lurker haha! Anyway, I got my LGT 5MT back in the beginning of December (not sure of build date) and took it in yesterday to Nate Wade Subaru in SLC, Utah and the shop foreman (is that how you spell it?) took the car for a test drive on his own and duplicated the issue.

After that, he had to send a fax into SOA with some data to see if the car qualified for the ECU reprogram, and they called me back later yesterday telling me that it did qualify.. so I took it in this morning and should have it back by Friday! You can bet that I will be posting results here... probably not until Friday evening.

Oh, and they set me up with a Regal Blue Pearl (I think that is the color name?) Legacy 2.5i 4EAT ... its pretty nice! Of course, I prefer my baby... :D :D :D

I test-drove a 5EAT LGT a few weeks back too... and it is an extremely nice car! Although, it just isn't a manual :D To each their own! My wife drives a stick! :D

Anyway... POST RESULTS AS SOON AS YOU HAVE THEM, PEOPLE!!!! I will be on Friday night if the ECU gets back by then. Dealership said it would be late in the afternoon on Friday...

Edit: Today being Wednesday... I should mention that I called on Monday afternoon after reading this post and the dealership knew all about this exact fix and they had me bring it in Tuesday morning to confirm it... way to go Nate Wade Subaru!

Greetings all... I'm such a lurker haha! Anyway, I got my LGT 5MT back in the beginning of December (not sure of build date) and took it in yesterday to Nate Wade Subaru in SLC, Utah and the shop foreman (is that how you spell it?) took the car for a test drive on his own and duplicated the issue.

After that, he had to send a fax into SOA with some data to see if the car qualified for the ECU reprogram, and they called me back later yesterday telling me that it did qualify.. so I took it in this morning and should have it back by Friday! You can bet that I will be posting results here... probably not until Friday evening.

Oh, and they set me up with a Regal Blue Pearl (I think that is the color name?) Legacy 2.5i 4EAT ... its pretty nice! Of course, I prefer my baby... :D :D :D

I test-drove a 5EAT LGT a few weeks back too... and it is an extremely nice car! Although, it just isn't a manual :D To each their own! My wife drives a stick! :D

Anyway... POST RESULTS AS SOON AS YOU HAVE THEM, PEOPLE!!!! I will be on Friday night if the ECU gets back by then. Dealership said it would be late in the afternoon on Friday...

Edit: Today being Wednesday... I should mention that I called on Monday afternoon after reading this post and the dealership knew all about this exact fix and they had me bring it in Tuesday morning to confirm it... way to go Nate Wade Subaru!

That is such good news. I'm in Salt Lake too and will probably have to go to Nate Wade to get the problem fixed. I bought the car out at Doug Smith in Orem and I don't really feel like driving all the way out there. Utah county has lower taxes than Salt Lake county. ;) That was my only motivation to buy it there.

Perhaps you could PM me or give me a call when you get more information. I am sure they will be able to duplicate the problem on my car as well. Doug Smith pretty much blew me off when I told them about it, so Nate Wade was my next choice. I'm so glad to hear that a dealership nearby is aware of this problem and will know how to fix it. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now... :D :D :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

my appointment isn't untill next monday. You guys all get good loaners. My suby dealer gives us old subarus. My last one had 168,800 miles on it. They really trust these cars.

the only prob with the old ones is that they smell kinda funny from years of use. But otherwise, they run great.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

My suby dealer gives us old subarus. My last one had 168,800 miles on it. They really trust these cars.

Talking about reliability and trust!!!

Heheheehehe

168k miles for a loaner is awesome... heheheh Maybe it was just a lack of their loaner cars I am guessing... Usually they should give out almost new cars...

My 0.02...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA