LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy GT project...few questions...

Hello out there, I signed up on here awhile ago after biting my GF a 1997 Legacy GT, we drove it for a awhile but took it off the road for the summer. Now we are getting it back in shape for winter..its a good ol car, I will give you a over veiw of the car and then rattle of my questions...I am reading posts on here so I may find my answers. As im sure they are here...

Its a 1997 Legacy GT AWD, auto., it has had a 2.2 motor swap, car has 220,000, motor is approx 190,000-200,000.

The motor is a 2.2 from a older car, How do I tell what year the motor is?

The check engine light is on. Is this normal because.of the engine swap? Or.should the.computer function normally with the 2.2?

The car feels really sluggish on low end. Is this because of the smaller engine? The check engine light? Both?

This thing seems to really eat up back brakes..seems like fronts aren't doing much, bit pads look fine..is this a subaru thing? Or underlying brake problem? No brake light on..

Thanks any and all of you for your answers advice and feedback...Im hoping to get this

thing all figured out and fixed up over the next year or so...my girl really loves this car and its a good car..it deserves it..lol.

Get yerself to the auto parts store and read the codes buckaroo. That will tell you what is going on with the motor and what to fix first. There is only a 30hp difference so it shouldn't be AS fast but for daily driving people don't notice it.

As far as rear brakes its hard to say... Describe the problem better. Is it DESTROYING parts? If so what parts? Pads are the wearable part, THATS what the car should eat... is the car taking bites out of the rotors? Try bleeding them especially if the pedal feels spongy.

Yea im gonna pull the codes on it tomorrow probably..as far as the brakes go, its not destroying parts when I bought the car the rear brakes were done, after replacing 1 caliper, pads and rotors, it was good for a little bit but now, approx 12-15000 miles later the rears are toast again and the fronts are fine....in my experiance with other cars, it seemed like they wore fronts more than rears, but with this subaru it seems the.opposite.

@

• I Donated
Hello out there, I signed up on here awhile ago after biting my GF

We don't want to know what you and your girlfriend are into dude....come on

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The strut tower? Its not the original engine to the car. That's why im trying to decypher year/type. I did find EJ22 on the block, but I know that much. Was wondering if there is a specific spot on the motor to find the numbers?

• I Donated

They are all EJ22E. Doesn't matter what year it is. All OBDII cars have the same EJ22. So you can shop for any 95-99 Subaru that had a 2.2 in it when you buy parts.

The older Legacys also had 2.2s in them (89-94), but those engines aren't compatible with your car so you don't have to worry about one of those being in there.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
The exhaust ports will tell you if its an older (dual-port) or newer (single-port) EJ22E. 95s & some 96s are dual-ports while all 97s & up are single-ports.

Oh yes I forgot about that. Both my EJ22Es are dual port.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Dual port exhaust....just pulled codes and got 325, 403, and 443...325 is a knock sensor but where is this sensor located? Not sure what.the.others.actually mean...suggestions? Thanks fotlr all info already provided

The knock sensor is located underneath the manifold towards the rear of the driver's side part of the block close to the bell housing (it's bolted into the block). It is black & circular with a single wire coming out of it. You need a 12mm bit to get it out.

Ok. Found the knock sensor. Now.can anyone tell me what the 403 and 443 actually mean? The 403 said something about recirculation of exhaust. No idea what that means...and im not even gonna guess what the 443 means..thanks again

the engine in your car needs to have EGR, exhaust gas recirculation. this is done with ''egr valve'' on the rear of the driver side intake

manifold and a pipe, (about 3/8 dia.) that connects the ''egr valve'' to the rear of the driver side head. the pipe is shaped like a staple '']''.

if your engine does not have this ''egr'' it will throw a code and there is no way to clear it.

i don't know if this is your problem but it would not be the first ej22 swap to have it.

items #9 and #13 are the easiest to identify.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_6/carter_ventilation_recirculation/emission_control_egr/illustration_2/

Archived