LegacyGT.com

Driver Seat Problems?

Hi All -

No this is not another "is this seat comfortable" thread. I think there's something up with my drivers seat as I feel the seat bottom is sloping to the right. I feel as though my right thigh and right hip sit lower than the left side. I've had the car new since January 2016. I kind of overlooked it until I started developing low back issues. After about 10 minutes it's brutal.

I decided to get a level out and something that is level straight to lay out across the seat. My mind was blown. Funny thing is, my wife said she feels the passenger seat does the the same. She called it falling to her left, in towards the center console. Has anyone else felt this? I thought it was all in my head or maybe my back was just jacked up, but until i took some mearsurements and heard it from my wife as well, I thought maybe it's an issue. I've tried readjusting the seats to no avail.

IMG_0173.JPG.5d6144a399af7b77c8d0276337fe470c.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG.2bbb919fff37029092cc8e783ab06c69.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG.9824bc890e4bebdfda9ecc819b71617a.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG.d7b3e98af4caa1cdd497a49150dfc918.JPG

Hi All -

No this is not another "is this seat comfortable" thread. I think there's something up with my drivers seat as I feel the seat bottom is sloping to the right. I feel as though my right thigh and right hip sit lower than the left side. I've had the car new since January 2016. I kind of overlooked it until I started developing low back issues. After about 10 minutes it's brutal.

I decided to get a level out and something that is level straight to lay out across the seat. My mind was blown. Funny thing is, my wife said she feels the passenger seat does the the same. She called it falling to her left, in towards the center console. Has anyone else felt this? I thought it was all in my head or maybe my back was just jacked up, but until i took some mearsurements and heard it from my wife as well, I thought maybe it's an issue. I've tried readjusting the seats to no avail.

Since day one, I've felt my driver's seat was slightly tilted lower to the left. I took my wallet out my right back pocket and have been less aware of it since then. I also have

back problems, but have learned to live with this. I think that seats are one of the weakest areas of design on the Legacy.

Since day one, I've felt my driver's seat was slightly tilted lower to the left. I took my wallet out my right back pocket and have been less aware of it since then. I also have

back problems, but have learned to live with this. I think that seats are one of the weakest areas of design on the Legacy.

Yea, mine is to the right. In order to bring it back level, i had to raise the right side almost a 1/4 inch. This is not normal given the seat is less than 20 inches wide. Not OK with me. Was hoping to hear if others have noticed. I was on the Forester and Crosstrek forum and there were a couple other posts about it, but no resolution with the dealer.

In standing in front of my car and looking at the windshield, i can literally see where the seat if tilted in toward the center console.

Are you having issues as well?

I have noticed back pain and sensed myself leaning to the right in my seat, I have not pulled out a level yet to check it. If I do find it is not level I'll likely have my dealer fix it.

I have noticed back pain and sensed myself leaning to the right in my seat, I have not pulled out a level yet to check it. If I do find it is not level I'll likely have my dealer fix it.

Yes, what you describe is exactly the way I feel. I'm due for an oil change in about a month and was just going to wait until then to address it. If the dealer does not really spend the time to verify my issue then I'm calling Subaru customer service. There's only 1 Subaru dealer with 100 miles where I live so I don't have time to mess around with them.

I understand to a degree that the level will show you whether or not its "level" but did you check to see if the car was first? I mean that sounds basic to me but having a perfectly level service to place you car on first cant be an easy thing to find can it?

I dont notice any leaning in my '16 but you have peaked my interest gonna check when I get home.

I understand to a degree that the level will show you whether or not its "level" but did you check to see if the car was first? I mean that sounds basic to me but having a perfectly level service to place you car on first cant be an easy thing to find can it?

I dont notice any leaning in my '16 but you have peaked my interest gonna check when I get home.

Check level on the passenger's seat and rear seats too. If the car is tilting they will all show it. If it's only the driver's seat, the others won't.

• 7 months later...

Just checked both passenger and driver seats on mine. Perfectly level. I agree that for my body at least, the seats are not the most wonderful in these cars.

I'd guess that where there is a problem, shims would be the answer.

Just checked both passenger and driver seats on mine. Perfectly level. I agree that for my body at least, the seats are not the most wonderful in these cars.

I'd guess that where there is a problem, shims would be the answer.

Maybe. Hope for an easy fix. I hate driving the car as is. I suffer from sciatica and it is killing my back.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe. Hope for an easy fix. I hate driving the car as is. I suffer from sciatica and it is killing my back.

If I was suffering from any kind of sciatica or lower back issues, I'd get rid of Subaru asap and get a car with comfortable seats. I suggest checking out a CPO 2012 Toyota Avalon or 2013 Highlander.

This looks like a trend with other brands as well and seats ( and suspension ) have gotten more sporty and uncomfortable with latest redesign but 2015+ Legacy/Outback seats might be among the worst.

If I was suffering from any kind of sciatica or lower back issues, I'd get rid of Subaru asap and get a car with comfortable seats. I suggest checking out a CPO 2012 Toyota Avalon or 2013 Highlander.

I've posted previously on the uncomfortable Legacy/Liberty seats. But after numerous adjustments with the electronic seat adjuster (forward/back/ up/ down and more/less lumbar support) I think I have finally found a seat position that causes only the occasional slight sciatic pain and no back pain.

I also think that after 7 months, the leather seats are finally "wearing in" (plus leather conditioner being applied as well.)

• 2 weeks later...

My issue is not seat comfort. It is not what is causing my back pain. I drive my fiancee's 2015 Outback all the time and and my back is ok. My problem is that my driver's seat is misaligned/crooked. The seat is angled towards the door causing me to sit unevenly on one side. It gives me the feeling of constantly leaning to the left. Also I have not left back bolster support. I keep flying into the door every time I take a right-hand turn. Very annoying.

So I have to twist my whole body left to kinda be even.

It took me 2 visits to the local Subaru dealer (Quality Subaru in Wallingford, CT) but they were able to diagnose the problem - the power-seat's motor timing was off causing the seat to move unevenly on the rails. This is how they explained it to me. The tech. adjusted the timing on the motor and reset the seat on the rails. It was fine for about a 2 days before getting misaligned again. I called the service manager back and he thinks the motor might be bad to keep losing timing. They are going to be replacing the entire seat's sub-frame because the motor itself cannot be replaced. It is built as par of the frame. I am waiting for them to call me once the part comes in. I will update.

Quality Subaru is top notch. Both sales and service. I send any referrals I get there.

So far not a bad dealer. Had a good experience buying from them and the service manager, Paul, is a great guy. He is attentive, polite and responsive. Personally I'd have preferred to go to Schaller in Berlin because it is much closer to me but I bought my car from Quality, and they have been taking good care of me so far.

I have issues with the seats. First off if I don't have a small pillow to put in the crack of the seat I get really bad lower back/butt muscle pain. The seat is kind of wide and I am thin, so I tend to sit on the right side of the seat and not the center so its a bit uncomfortable. Then my legs are pretty long, so theres like 6 inches where my legs aren't on the seat before the bend in my knee. My last car the seat went all the way to the knee and I loved it, kind of like it just held me perfectly.

I have issues with the seats. First off if I don't have a small pillow to put in the crack of the seat I get really bad lower back/butt muscle pain. The seat is kind of wide and I am thin, so I tend to sit on the right side of the seat and not the center so its a bit uncomfortable. Then my legs are pretty long, so theres like 6 inches where my legs aren't on the seat before the bend in my knee. My last car the seat went all the way to the knee and I loved it, kind of like it just held me perfectly.

I agree about the Subaru seats. It's my only real complaint with the car. If it is any consolation to you, I have found that after 8 months the seat comfort has improved a lot. I have the leather seats (which I gather from other owners are not as comfortable as the cloth ones) and initially I had the Butt/Back pain as well. I started messing around with all the electronic seat adjustments over a six month period until I found a setting that alleviated most of the problems. I also applied conditioner to the leather and so perhaps the combination of leather conditioner and eventually finding my ideal seat setting worked for me ...... so perhaps time might help you as well.

I have the leather seats (which I gather from other owners are not as comfortable as the cloth ones).

Difference I noticed between the two is that cloth seats are firmer than leather. The leather seats have more of a plushy softer feel to them which gives me more comfort. My back hurts more on cloth seats after a long drive.

the seat was killing my back and i could hardly walk after a 45 minute drive. the lumbar is far too aggressive and in a bad spot. i pulled the lumbar insert out and its night and day better. if i wasnt able to remove it i would have had to get rid of the car. its a simple 10 min fix.

• 1 month later...
My issue is not seat comfort. It is not what is causing my back pain. I drive my fiancee's 2015 Outback all the time and and my back is ok. My problem is that my driver's seat is misaligned/crooked. The seat is angled towards the door causing me to sit unevenly on one side. It gives me the feeling of constantly leaning to the left. Also I have not left back bolster support. I keep flying into the door every time I take a right-hand turn. Very annoying.

So I have to twist my whole body left to kinda be even.

It took me 2 visits to the local Subaru dealer (Quality Subaru in Wallingford, CT) but they were able to diagnose the problem - the power-seat's motor timing was off causing the seat to move unevenly on the rails. This is how they explained it to me. The tech. adjusted the timing on the motor and reset the seat on the rails. It was fine for about a 2 days before getting misaligned again. I called the service manager back and he thinks the motor might be bad to keep losing timing. They are going to be replacing the entire seat's sub-frame because the motor itself cannot be replaced. It is built as par of the frame. I am waiting for them to call me once the part comes in. I will update.

Update: The dealer put in a new bottom seat sub-frame which helped a little. The seat felt firmer but still did not fix the issue, uneven support (feeling like I am tilting or leaning to the left). Investigated further and noticed the backrest frame was loose on the left side. If you grabbed and shook the left bolster on the backrest frame you could see and hear significant rattle and play at the base where it connects to the sub-frame. Took the car back to the dealer and they noticed it too. The dealer took the seat apart and torque down every nut and bolt on it. Now there is a huge difference in the seat and for the first time it feels nice to drive. It is not perfect but 1000x better than how it was. My back doesn't hurt anymore and I feel I have more support than before. Life is good again.

Archived