EJ20X swap?!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm right in the middle of an EJ20X swap into a Legacy as well. (2009 GT Ltd) Living in CT we have emissions testing with OBDII hookup. Trying to decide whether to try and run the JDM ECU with the USDM harness+8 wire exhaust AVCS addition or not. If not I was going to block the cam oil ports off and convert to fixed gears, but I might skip this and run full retarded timing on exhaust cam until I can straighten out the Dual AVCS. Biggest question which I still don't think there's a definitive answer out there for is whether the JDM ECU OBDII protocols will talk to US emissions test centers. Looks like open source scan utilities work just fine taking to the JDM ECU, from what I've read, and shutting codes off to delete things like the air pump should be child's play, but if the test centers can't talk to it... we'll have to run the USDM ECU and sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Element, this was a concern of mine considering the swap due to CT emissions regs.

You can absolutely not pass emissions with the JDM ECU. Will come up "not supported" when they hook it up to the state machine. I've talked with my tuner and basically the solution for our discussion is you run the JDM ECU (after flash or whathaveyou) everyday except for emissions testing day when you swap your USDM one in with a friendly opensource flash to get your re-up.

I haven't even performed the swap yet but after my months of research I absolutely wouldn't pass on getting the exhaust AVCS hooked up, or perform a workaround to fix the timing.

I still don't know why folks on this side of the pond are swapping intake manifolds though. Is it just because it's easier to do that and have your yellow 550 sidefeeds which flow more than the blue 465 sidefeeds that come on the JDM variant? Or is it simply due to ease of getting the USDM harness over? I need to find and review the engine main connectors for both and understand how different they are at that location.

I've still been on the fence about this swap, but the price is certainly alluring. I'm considering the purchase and documenting everything so there is actually full documentation on this swap possibility.

The other thing folks should note is that the VF38 that comes on the EJ20X (auto), and the TD04HLA on the EJ20Y (manual) have unique up pipe and downpipe flanges. They're not even common with the VF36/37 so you can't just go and source one and swap it on for more power; you would need to get new headers/UP/DP. Kingugawa used to sell a direct fit TD04HLA with upgrades as well as a 20G with the correct inlet/outlet on hotside, but have since stopped from what I can tell.

All that being said, if you stick with the stock snail that these engines come with, I still cannot see how the engine complete, adding 8 wires for dual avcs, and the jdm ecu + tune are anywhere near the cost of an EJ255 rebuild. Yes, power limits will be hit fast, so if you're looking for a rocket then well we all know how that goes dollar-wise with Subaru's. From what I can scrape up on UK and AU forums, these will peak at around 270-290 at the wheels with tune/bolt-on's.

Mondtster: Would you be willing to share where you got your shielded materials to make the additional part of the harness, and perhaps your assembly process?

Edited by Dusty B

Mondtster: Would you be willing to share where you got your shielded materials to make the additional part of the harness, and perhaps your assembly process?

Shielded twisted pair is readily available. What I used was made by Belden, I don't remember the part number. Most of the wiring doesn't even need to be shielded for this swap. I used the US harness and made an overlay harness with the additional wiring necessary to run the exhaust cams. To get the proper terminals to connect to the ECU I bought a set of ECU harness connectors from a junkyard and removed the terminals I needed. Then I inserted them into the connectors on my good harness and soldered my overlay harness onto those new terminals.

You won't be hitting 270-290hp with the stock td04 / vf38. Have never seen any plots of them even making 200wkw (268hp)

Mine, with a vf45, fromtmount, intake, exhaust gets 192kw (258hp) which is about the max they really make, even at that point turning the boost up does not much other than producing hot air.

The TD04HL-20T (20T not 20G, 20G wasn't a thing for these turbo's) would get you into the 200-220kw (270-295hp) region though. Can get what is essentially the same kinugawa turbo from Mamba too.

http://kandodynamic.com/products/kinugawa-billet-turbocharger-subaru-06-07-legacy-liberty-td04hl-20t-twin-scroll

http://shop.mambatek.com/GTX-Turbo-SUBARU-BP5-BL5-Legacy-Liberty-TD04HL-20T-9-Blade-001-0371.htm?categoryId=-1

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Shielded twisted pair is readily available. What I used was made by Belden, I don't remember the part number. Most of the wiring doesn't even need to be shielded for this swap. I used the US harness and made an overlay harness with the additional wiring necessary to run the exhaust cams. To get the proper terminals to connect to the ECU I bought a set of ECU harness connectors from a junkyard and removed the terminals I needed. Then I inserted them into the connectors on my good harness and soldered my overlay harness onto those new terminals.

Thanks mondtster! So basically you got a spool of something similar to this? Was there a reason you didn't go with the JDM engine harness?

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/belden-9460-18-awg-1-pair-multi-conductor-single-pair-cable-tinned-copper-pe-insulation-pvc-jacket.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvau8TVVRhwa-GWPhNFfYnqmB6K_nMZe0GiMCoapnpnTxoCi1nw_wcB

Whenever I go for the engine, I plan on grabbing year appropriate ECU with connector plugs and a couple inches of harness to de and re pin. In reality I was hoping to get the complete engine with harness, and run an overlap harness like you mentioned from the main engine connector back through the firewall to the new ECU. Again, really need to dig into the pin out for the JDM and USDM to see if that's feasible without a lot of re pinning.

You won't be hitting 270-290hp with the stock td04 / vf38. Have never seen any plots of them even making 200wkw (268hp)

Mine, with a vf45, fromtmount, intake, exhaust gets 192kw (258hp) which is about the max they really make, even at that point turning the boost up does not much other than producing hot air.

The TD04HL-20T (20T not 20G, 20G wasn't a thing for these turbo's) would get you into the 200-220kw (270-295hp) region though. Can get what is essentially the same kinugawa turbo from Mamba too.

http://kandodynamic.com/products/kinugawa-billet-turbocharger-subaru-06-07-legacy-liberty-td04hl-20t-twin-scroll

http://shop.mambatek.com/GTX-Turbo-SUBARU-BP5-BL5-Legacy-Liberty-TD04HL-20T-9-Blade-001-0371.htm?categoryId=-1

Ah, thank you for giving some actual real world feedback. I feel like a thread like this could use it until more of us go through with it!

When I mentioned 20G I meant I thought kingugawa had offered a proper flanged TD05-20G unit. Fully aligned with you on the TD04-20T. Thanks for the links too, I may be needing them!

Thanks mondtster! So basically you got a spool of something similar to this? Was there a reason you didn't go with the JDM engine harness?

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/belden-9460-18-awg-1-pair-multi-conductor-single-pair-cable-tinned-copper-pe-insulation-pvc-jacket.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvau8TVVRhwa-GWPhNFfYnqmB6K_nMZe0GiMCoapnpnTxoCi1nw_wcB

Whenever I go for the engine, I plan on grabbing year appropriate ECU with connector plugs and a couple inches of harness to de and re pin. In reality I was hoping to get the complete engine with harness, and run an overlap harness like you mentioned from the main engine connector back through the firewall to the new ECU. Again, really need to dig into the pin out for the JDM and USDM to see if that's feasible without a lot of re pinning.

Don't waste your time with the JDM harness. It is set up for a RHD car and would be way more work than it is worth to mess with. Just use the US harness and add the necessary wires.

That wire looks like it would work.

Don't waste your time with the JDM harness. It is set up for a RHD car and would be way more work than it is worth to mess with. Just use the US harness and add the necessary wires.

That wire looks like it would work.

Figures I do critical thinking at work all day, but miss the most obvious reason for not using it :lol:.

So yeah. I don't have any existing engine. I will need to source USDM intake with everything attached. Isn't terrible, since I can use USDM yellows without the funky noise dampening fuel rails.

Hey guys, I'm right in the middle of an EJ20X swap into a Legacy as well. (2009 GT Ltd) Living in CT we have emissions testing with OBDII hookup. Trying to decide whether to try and run the JDM ECU with the USDM harness+8 wire exhaust AVCS addition or not. If not I was going to block the cam oil ports off and convert to fixed gears, but I might skip this and run full retarded timing on exhaust cam until I can straighten out the Dual AVCS. Biggest question which I still don't think there's a definitive answer out there for is whether the JDM ECU OBDII protocols will talk to US emissions test centers. Looks like open source scan utilities work just fine taking to the JDM ECU, from what I've read, and shutting codes off to delete things like the air pump should be child's play, but if the test centers can't talk to it... we'll have to run the USDM ECU and sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figures I do critical thinking at work all day, but miss the most obvious reason for not using it :lol:.

So yeah. I don't have any existing engine. I will need to source USDM intake with everything attached. Isn't terrible, since I can use USDM yellows without the funky noise dampening fuel rails.

I think GR Wrx fuel rails , TGV and lines would work as well and they are top feed.

So I will likely move all this to a new thread once I get down to brass tacks. Anyone that's done this before me feel free to suggest additions to the list; if you're really interested I could email the xls. Below is what I'm putting together to track costs for this for others in the future. So far, still on the surface cheaper than replacing shortblock + machine work. And yes, the below assumes doing your own work with all the tools preexisting. The spreadsheet looks a lot prettier than this, but you get the idea. :lol:

Would also like to give a quick thanks to underdog. I was able to find a lot of useful and cool information in his JDM Twinscroll Project thread. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-twinscroll-project-118677.html?t=118677

Total Material before Tax $3,070.45 Bitmap Total Shipping $231.00 Grand Total $3,301.45 Item_Id or Service Description Supplier Selected Price Shipping Notes 201614418730 JDM EJ20Y w/5spd Transmission jdmenginez on EBAY Yes $1,199.00 $190.00 Less expensive engine in stock; sans TMIC, ECU, DP. Includes needed TY757VBAAB Trans JDM ECU JDM ECU jdmenginez on EBAY Yes $60.00 S1303G3LA001T Cast Nickel-Iron Cast Outlet w/ Gaskets For VF38, VF44, VF47, TD04HLA Twinscroll Turbochargers Moore Performance Yes $220.00 Required to build downpipe & exhaust USDM EJ255 Intake Manifold USDM EJ255 Intake manifold with TGVs and Engine Wiring SSP Recyclers No $550.00 OBO. Option to purchase from LGT Members USDM EJ255 Intake Manifold USDM EJ255 Intake manifold with TGVs and Engine Wiring Legacygt forum member No $400.00 USDM EJ255 Intake Manifold USDM EJ255 Intake manifold with TGVs and Engine Wiring Subie Recylers Yes $350.00 Belden 9460 Twisted Pair Shielded Wire https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/...pnTxoCi1nw_wcB Yes $43.50 $16.00 Minimum 80ft required to order. Price for spool. GMS-INLET-LGT Reinforced Silicone Turbo Inlet Import Image Racing Yes $157.95 $25.00 Already pulling to swap intake. Do this now while off. TBD Timing Belt Kit TBD Yes $350.00 Exhaust build Custom routed exhaust after cast elbow Mark Yes $350.00 No material cost. Still have 3" full exhaust builders kit. Base Map Base Map for JDM ECU/Engine Yes $0.00 Base map with updated injector flow scaling. Free via romraider Street Tune Street tune for JDM ECU/Engine Matt Miner Yes $250.00 Updated "Stage II" Map Program Immobilizer Program Immobilizer Local Dealer Yes $90.00 Required to start car after install of JDM components.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2535&pictureid=11602

Edited by Dusty B

I'm doing this swap as we speak, the dealer I bought it from is installing the motor, and afterwards we'll be sending it to a muffler shop to combine the JDM Downpipe with the USDM one. This whole process has been a waiting game, but soon after I get the car back, I'll be sending the car to I-Wire to install the extra AVCS wiring, and after that I'll be taking the car to a tuner, to get the 20X ECU tuned to CA standards, but in the meantime it'll be running USDM ecu.

I have had one of these swaps running in my 05 lgt for over 2 years.

About 6 months ago I converted to a STI intake manifold , TGV's, Turbo, turbo inlet, STI TMIC, Used the TD06 TS housing on my 20g XT. and put a STI style compressor cover on it.

I used the plugs and wiring off the JDM harnesscut them right before the plug then pin the end that I cut into the connector. I used a 2008 up sti manifold because the JDM TGV deletes line right UP. The USDM tgvs lineup all but the top two holes but they can be drilled out to line up. The 2007 to 2012 manifolds are ideal if you are going to run stock top feed fuel rails instead. 2013/14 STI manifold is great for after market fuel rails because the FPR nipple is in the same spot as the brake booster Driver side like the legacy manifold. The emissions stuff was easy. I used stuff off 07 STI. If you use 07 up then you do not need to drill and tap the the front nipple hole that is required on 06 below WRX and STI. I used the 08 up OEM factory metal shielding piece that hold the OEM boost controller on top of the manifold. You can either drill a spot in that metal piece to mount the MAP sensor and run a line to one of the nipple for boost reference when using the Legacy GT Throttle body. Or you can use a STI TB and lengthen the Map sensor wiring. I don't recall if I had to change the connector but then it pulls right into the Map sensor located on the TB. Then you can use a Omni boost sensor or some other readily available after market one. If you get the non bellmouth down pipe that comes with the ej20x/y you can just un bolt the first part of the usdm downpipe and it will bolt right on. If you use a v8/v9 downpipe it will need to be cut and welded to a usdm one. I use an after market JDM HKS catted twinscroll Down pipe that some cut happy Japanese man with a plasma cutter cut it below the cat. I got it for 150 on Ebay and just cut a usdm one and welded the two together.

I ran the engine on usdm manifold and ecu with the exhaust avcs not plugged in for over six months with no problems until I got the time to mess with the swap. I took me a lot of trial and error to swap the manifold to sti style. Luckily the top piece of the STI manifold is only 80 to 100 bucks on ebay now.

I swapped in JDM Spec B 6mt that I got on ebay for 1500 bucks. they are quite abit cheaper because they do not have a expensive DCCD unit in them. But if you want DCCD in JDM one the 04/05 DCCD unit drops right in but you will have to use 05/05 transfer gears as well. which will make it a 3.9 for the rear diff. it comes 3.54 with open diff. If you use a USDM Spec B 6mt you have to use a 06 up STI dccd and tranfer gears . 3.54 and will stay 3.54 after it is switched over.

The only draw back to a ej20x/y is that it has USDM style wrx rods instead of the EJ257/5 beefier rods that come in the original engine. I swapped my back up motor. I am using a EJ207 shortblock with the Z20 Quad AVCS heads. If you buy the newer EJ20x/y with the air pumps and U20 heads. REMEMBER THAT IT TAKE NEWER STYLE 2.0 Head Gaskets that are not sold in America. So JDM U20, D20 and W20 heads all use the newer style HG,

I hope someone can use this info. I done post on here very often. I build everything myself even my turbos. I have personal done everything I mentioned so I know it is possible.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/grosbisous1/STI08engine1_zpsodqnq62y.jpg

the metal piece on passenger top of manifold

Edited by texy32
pic

Mondtster can you provide a wiring diagram in order to hook up the AVCS system?

Just picked up my swap today and would like to tackle this instead of buying a $200 harness from iwire or ia performance.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

So the motor swap has been completed since Jan-14 and all in all, very happy with the EJ20x. Near the end I was scrambling to figured out the TMIC and DP situation and valleylegacy on these forums hooked me up with an HKS JDM downpipe and stock JDM TMIC to button it up. The car now has 6300 miles on it since completion and is still running stock USDM ECU without the Quad AVCS. Haven't even taken it to get emissions tested yet because I've been so busy. Used Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 with RomRaider to delete the air pump and the ECU hasn't thrown a code in months. Over the winter when I'd get on it a bit, it'd throw an O2 sensor code, but now that it's warming up, not an issue. It run strong in the mid range, around 5500 it falls on it's face, most likely due to the exhaust cam.

I've attached my price sheet from the build, all in all it was around $3300 even with a 700 HKS DP and 200 for the TMIC.

One of the timing covers was broken during shipping, some of the rubber hoses were pretty dry so they were replaced and the coolant routing on the back of the driver's side head is different then the USDM motor, I'll have to take pics of it one of these days but I just T'd it in so both sides of the head get water. (hopefully I did this right..... lol) -- Like I said, been running for months.

1940607572_SubaruEJ20XPricing.png.b78061d77606f9cdde13f0e01362090c.png

• 2 months later...

Hello I've been following this thread for awhile now and I've recently come into possession of a jdm swapped outback XT with a VF38 turbo :)

Running without the avcs and looking into getting that done

Has anyone figured out how to wire that up? (anyone willing to share that is)

Thanks in advance ... will figure it out eventually and post feedback when or if I do but any help would be appreciated

I still haven't figured it out yet, there's another guy on this forum working on getting the 08+ JDM (plastic) ECU to work with his 08/09 LGT. 10,000 miles now, still running strong. Found that I had to pull the atmospheric sensor out of the old air pump to get proper boost reading from the Manifold Pressure Corrected value. Just hooked this up today after cutting it from the old pump. Not sure if this will improve performance or not, will submit back soon. I'm only seeing about 9PSI though... might have a boost leak or may still need to flash it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2009-outback-xt-ej20x-swap-260952p2.html

Can you see how high you're boosting with your EJ20X?

I just received a vag cable last week and looking into getting a used laptop now.

I know my ecu is locked so I also ordered one on ebay and got that as well

So yeah no idea how much boost as of yet... i've got a tune on it at the moment thats locked and no clue what can be done with that

Are the wires piggy backed to wires on the ecu harness?...or to empty pins?

Can you see how high you're boosting with your EJ20X?

Anybody done this swap and got tuned with an aftermarket downpipe. My results were 236/243 on the vf38 on a mustang dyno. Looking for comparable figures as all the japanese results are flywheel hp and all of the australian results dont have the vf38 mated to a 5mt. Also, Im not sure of the significance of vf38 vs td04 so im wondering about that as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How involved is that if the engine is already on the car?

Considering all options at this point

Also what downpipe are you using?

bolts

Few friends did this swap for me. You can keep the usdm ecu and use non avcs cam gears on the exhaust side. I got tuned on an AP v3.

Anybody done this swap and got tuned with an aftermarket downpipe. My results were 236/243 on the vf38 on a mustang dyno. Looking for comparable figures as all the japanese results are flywheel hp and all of the australian results dont have the vf38 mated to a 5mt. Also, Im not sure of the significance of vf38 vs td04 so im wondering about that as well.

Is there a JDM version ecu for an outback XT 2005?

That would just be called a legacy and yes there is a dual avcs ecu for it they are like $50 on ebay but have an immobilizer.

I don't see why it'd be any different from the regular LGT '05 ecu. The engines and drive-trains are the same.

Dual AVCS , Wiring pinouts appear to be the same with the addition of exhaust side AVCS wiring.

So its essentially the same process as swapping an EJ207 into a 2002-2005 usdm Wrx of running AVCS wiring. Also have the issue of mating the jdm ecu to the immobilizer in your usdm LGT.

How involved is that if the engine is already on the car?

Considering all options at this point

Also what downpipe are you using?

bolts

Best to have the engine out of the car.... you can feasibly do it while the engine is in the car but.... its a tight squeeze.... we did this on my engine before we put it in the car.

Im using an hks catted downpipe thay came with my front clip.

Or... you can run a standalone (vipec, hydra, AEM) and do some wiring for the exhaust avcs, that will work too.

some guy with a forester did this swap and used a hydra standalone ecu. It worked for that person but i dont think his gauge cluster works. You'd have to get a racepak or some kind of custom cluster.

Obviously, the standalone route is expensive. But you'd have working quad avcs.

Edited by 05Jdm2.0gt