LegacyGT.com

AC not blowing cold air.

A while back after I purchased the car used from a dealership, I found as it got warmer the air was always warm. I took it in, and was told that it was electrical, that it was and electronic issue. After testing with both a working dual climate head unit and a working climate control module, I ended up dumping a bunch of money with the same result. If I hook up a can of refrigerant, it falls right one the green any time I've checked. Any thoughts on what else I should be looking at?

• 2 weeks later...
I went through the troubleshooting section and found a section where it said to test the resistance from the one of the pins to ground and I should be under 10ohms. I tested it and got 13ohms. The guide says to trace and repair the cable as the fix. Is that a legitimate option, a system not working over 3 ohms?

Gotta ask the stupid questions.

Is the compressor kicking on and off? Have you tried a new relay? Checked fuses, etc...?

Yeah, went right down through the list of which fuses, swapped in a new relay and got to that step. Guess the next step is to trace the wire through the dash.

• 3 weeks later...
try putting power to it with a power probe or something similar and see if you can get the clutch to kick on. Then go from there. Mine did the same thing but i hooked the gauges and my system was dry... something put two holes in my condenser

Anyone know what pins on the relay I could short to test?

I think it's the two on the outside parallel to the long dimension of the relay, but check the diagram to be sure. Tap it to a 9v battery and you'll hear it click on and off.

That being said, mine clicked just fine but wasn't working reliably in the car. They're cheap from the dealer, I'd just pop a new one in there and see if the A/C comes on.

just swap the fan and the ac relay they are the same

That was one of the very first things I did back when I first found the issue.

So, I ended up finding I think the problem (or created one). I jumpered 14-15 and the compressor came on when I started the car. I hooked up a refill kit with the gauge on it and it read that there was barely any refrigerant in the system. I put some in until it went up just into green and ran it for a little. It started getting cooler than the outside air for once, and then started steaming......it was dripping out of the back of the compressor. What I learned is that I either broke it (honestly didn't fill it that much), or that I found the issue and need to do something about a compressor.

Archived