LegacyGT.com

Speaker grill install

Hey everyone!

So finally enough was enough, I'm tiered of not having real speaker grills for my rear speakers :mad:(the fronts aren't much better). So I decided I'm going to pull out the rear package tray, cut out all that plastic crap and mount two BOSE speaker grills from my old Nissan Maxima.

My question for all of you is, how do I remove the rear tray? How much other stuff do i have to remove? and how hard its going to be? :confused:

From the looks of it i have to remove the upper portion of my rear seat, and the two rear quarter window trim pieces. The reason i haven't just tried myself is I'm kind of intimidated about pulling the top of my rear seat out, Ive done interior work before but Ive never taken apart one of these seats.

Any and all advice or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks for reading

:spin:

It's a piece of cake. Pull the two bolts out that hold the bottom seat in place. Lift the front upwards. It hooks into the top part. Pull the three bolts out that hold the top part down. Now slide the seat back up. Don't tilt it. It has a couple tabs that just slide into the chassis. Just lift the whole thing strait up. That's it!!

Thank you, I'm glad it's going to be easy. I'll probably go check it out later today and solidify whether or not what i want to do is possible. Maybe I'll take some pics, but in short my plan is to cut the plastic honey comb over the speaker and also cut 4 small (maybe 1/4") around the opening. The grills I want to install are metal and have 4 small tabs which I intend to just pull the old insert Tab A into slot B and bend them on the underside.

• 1 year later...
Soooo, I totally just did this project... It's not perfect but here's some pics I took real quick with my phone I'll have to add a finished pic later because it was too dark by the time I was done.

Photo0317.thumb.jpg.f91b6ce976798e550d02741f93b62ee9.jpg

Photo0319.thumb.jpg.5ce057c6bf4677c97e8fe7db4b154036.jpg

Photo0321.thumb.jpg.f230d81f5bc37ef99618ff74844e611d.jpg

Photo0322.thumb.jpg.93cd9b78913e2cc9779eeafa7073eba8.jpg

Here they are, maybe I'll take some better ones after i wash my car and maybe I won't. Either way i figured something is always better than nothing

@WESTcoast - They are just sitting on top of the carpet, when I cut the openings below them I didn't feel like spending hours making them perfectly matched so i just hacked it out and covered the gnar with fabric. The grilles themselves have four tabs which fit into slots I cut, around the hole (the last pic in my 3rd post) and then I bent them underneath

Photo0323.thumb.jpg.39c4a2964c0b739abbbe9a81d9b41022.jpg

Photo0324.thumb.jpg.caf96d78931c5495b94fdcbda4ac756c.jpg

Photo0325.thumb.jpg.4e8a08a0775dcdc0e25ff4a8e1b49d1f.jpg

Archived