LegacyGT.com

shop said my car has turbo lag because gas tank wasn't full!'

I'm serious as a heart attack. The latest from the shop who fixed my car the last 3 times told me it was not hitting boost because there wasn't enough gas in it!!!

It had over 1/4 tank when I dropped it off...

I know people say take it to a better shop, but I live in buttf--k Pa and honestly I'm over 1.5 hours from a major city and the closest subie dealer.....

is there anything I can try at home before I have to drive that far? I'm worried about breaking something else if it's not hitting boost and I have to take a 70 min drive to a garage.

I checked all hoses, oil, coolant, turbo is fine, intercooler is in good shape, car has never been tuned. Only mod is invidia cat-less up pipe...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's just silly. You can starve for fuel if your tank was really empty (not on the dyno though unless you ran out completely) but at a 1/4 tank there would be no possibility.

How do you know its not hitting boost ?

WHat gas are you using ?

Can you data log ?

use premium gas-93 or better

when i start to drive, the car just doesnt want to accelerate, i have to almost floor it to get it to hit 20 mph...then once it hits 30-40ish mph, the car takes off like it has a rocket up its ass.

i cant data log, dont have anything to use...

and i havent tuned it or anything.

Sound like a can of marbles is in the hood? Any exhaust coming from tailpipe? Pressure even? Sounds like it could be clogged cat, blown turbo those two things can cause terrible power decrease and inability to boost

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Sound like a can of marbles is in the hood? Any exhaust coming from tailpipe? Pressure even? Sounds like it could be clogged cat, blown turbo those two things can cause terrible power decrease and inability to boost

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

i was thinking clogged cat, thats why in my other post i was asking if it was ok to run an open dp for a while to see if the problem went away. if it did then i know i need a new exhaust. if it didnt, then there is another issue. they pulled the turbo, there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm in Pitt and Lower Burrell. I have the ability to log. If you aren't anywhere near those places call Moore Performance in Bridgeville.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'm in Pitt and Lower Burrell. I have the ability to log. If you aren't anywhere near those places call Moore Performance in Bridgeville.

awesome. Let me know when you can meet me and how much it would cost...

Where are you in pgh? I live in mt. Wash. I'm working until Monday. Tuesday or Thursday of next week works for me. Every other day I'm busy.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Unhook your battery for 10 minutes, which will force the ECU to reset. You may been running on a very low IAM. If there is a true mechanical issue, IAM will drop again into this fail safe mode.

Where are you in pgh? I live in mt. Wash. I'm working until Monday. Tuesday or Thursday of next week works for me. Every other day I'm busy.

I'm in mercer county, about 20 mins past grove city outlets. I can come to you I used to live in pgh. My wife used to live in mt. Wash. Pm me

Unhook your battery for 10 minutes, which will force the ECU to reset. You may been running on a very low IAM. If there is a true mechanical issue, IAM will drop again into this fail safe mode.

Ok will try that as soon as I get home.

What rpm is this lag happening at?

I plan on just taking my Subie to the dealer if I need things that I don't do myself. At least around here the other shops just don't seem to know crap about turbo cars.

Hmmmmmmm..... just thinking of things. Vac line to the BPV okay? The one to the wastegate?

I wonder, do these BPV use a rubber diaphragm? On my last car it was somewhat common for those to get tears in 'em. Then it just keeps recirculating air and boost doesn't build, or as quickly at least depending on the size of the tear.

This is my first turbo AUTO and I find the power delivery to be a little strange. Manual is better but I'm getting used to it.

Sounds like there could be a vac leak on the boost controller perhaps. Could be a lot of different things though. :( I would see if you can find a subie specific shop to get a look at it for you.

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Met up with code today In Greenville pa....

He hooked up his laptop and we drive my car and it came back all normal. I will post the readings when he emails them to me.

Also we both looked and neither one of us saw a loose hose or anything disconnected. And there are no leaks as we can tell....

So now that confuses me more, because if his log showed something wrong we could have pinpointed it. Now I'm more confused.....

Archived