LegacyGT.com

Outside door latch AND inside door handle broken

wcbjr

Fix it.

Doing so, depends on the money you want to spend. If you order a new door card from the dealer, just cut the old one out from inside the car.

There is no way to access the door opening bits from outside the car.

I'd probably spend my time disassembling the inside of the door, to try and reach the cable bracket that pulls the latch. That's really all you can do. You'll need to pull out the seat and the B-pillar trim, then get to work.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Also, get this. The outside door handle across all 2005-whatever Legacy models has been reduced down to one part number. An unpainted and TEXTURED piece. So in order to properly paint the damn thing, you need to fill the texture, sand it, primer it, then paint it. Wow. $250 to replace a door handle. $50 for the part, $200 to properly paint it.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Thats a tricky situation. You'll need something very thin to go through the door panel and yank the cable somehow.. I think the upper part by the window will flex a bit if you push something through.

Or you could just drive to a shady neighbourhood and ask for help :p

How did it break?

I looked up the PN's and sure enough, every color code has been superseded by a -ANN. That sucks.

Did the exterior handle actually break?

If not, then you can probably swap the painted bits of yours for the new one and be in OK shape.

Oh, and you should be able to unfasten the screw holding the interior handle bucket in place and remove it. That will give you access to the cables, and you should be able to jimmy them to open the door. Then you can properly remove the door panel and be in OK shape to go!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I ripped off the panel from the inside and unlocked it by hand from inside the door. Yes, the actual handle broke, one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods. All is well now, still surprised this hasn't happened to more people, and nobody knows (or has posted) how to remove the window glass.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

But thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

aren't there a couple wrecked leggies on the board that are being parted out?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

my driver side rear door did what happened to the OP this winter...the only exception is I can still open the door from the inside. The levers on the handle itself snapped off in the cold...I got to hear them tinkle down the inside of my door that morning. It's too cold for me to rip my door apart...so until spring, my door is ghettooooo

• 2 weeks later...
me too dingbang! window was frozen to the gasket, and i just kept pulling....THUNK! i just ripped the interior apart, and just like wcbjr, "one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods" had snapped. my interior handle wouldn't work either, but after dismantling, it works now. i'll have to order the SAHWEET "unpainted and TEXTURED piece." for the exterior, and hope my 4-year-old doesnt kick in the speaker(didnt bother with the door card till i get the part)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, the actual handle broke, one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods.

Have you gotten a replacement handle yet? I'm assuming this is the exterior handle. This happened to me and I'm looking for a way to fix it without paying the stealership $86 for an unpainted part.

I'm assuming *this* is it. Confirmation?

that's the right part. I think I ordered mine from subarupartsonline.com, and it was pretty cheap, definitely under $30 shipped. But I only needed 1. And if you find one that says "Regal Blue Pearl", it won't be. But I don't even notice the black, TBH.

I know I said I'd post a walk through, but a broken wrist kept me from doing the work myself. Regardless, I fixed the last two for just over $100. $25/handle, $25/ handle to be painted, cost of a case of beer to have you buddy put them on for you, priceless!

I looked and looked for handles that matched the color of my car. After 2 months I contacted a body shop to inquire about them repaint the handles for me. This was a random body shop, I had no connections for cheaper prices, and it was a flat $50 for two to be painted. I'm sure you'll eventually find the handles you're looking for, but my suggestion is to find the cheapest you can find and have them repainted. I know that's what I'll probably be doing again this winter!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll join the club. My drivers door handle made a breaking sound when I opened. Sounds like something broke and fell off.

So I guess I need to call and order a handle. I may call my Body Shop buddy and see if he can find one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I finally got around to this last night. Sorry about the delays, but its been busy at work lately and with the sun setting earlier every night, I don’t always get a chance to get dirty before the sun goes down. Last night was one of those nights, but I was sick of having a working handle sitting in my living room and not on my car door.

Anyway, let’s kick this off…

Things you will need:

(1) Door handle from Subarupartsonline.com or anywhere else you can find one

(1) Flat-head screwdriver

(1) Philips-head screwdriver

(1) 10mm wrench

(1) ¼” ratchet

(1) 10mm ¼”-drive socket

(1-2) hours depending on your skill level, willingness to pull apart your door, and luck taking the handle out.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4860-1.jpg

Step 0: Get familiar with your shiny new handle!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4855-1.jpg

The first thing I did was make sure the color lined up with my car. It’s close, but no cigar. You may ask yourself, “What are you going to do about it?”. The answer, compadres, is nothing! The color is close enough for me, especially with a darker color like RBP.

Now that we’ve seen the front, let’s examine the back.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4852-1.jpg

Ok. Done. Not so quick… you’ll want to remember the orange-circled tabs for later. Also, the red bar on top—that’s why you bought a new handle to begin with!

Step 1: Remove door panel screws.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4856-1.jpg

First things first, we’re going to take the door panel off. This will require you to take your flat-head screwdriver and pop off the cover plate behind the chrome handle. This is located in the green circle.

After the plate has been removed, you will need your Philips-head to remove the screw underneath the plate. This screw along with the other two are outlined in red.

Twist off the black handle (don’t be afraid, just twist and it will eventually pop off) to expose two more screws. The screw on top faces north while the screw on the bottom faces south. Remove these with your Philips-head.

Step 2: Remove door panel.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4857-1.jpg

Remove the door panel by gently pulling around the weather-stripping around the window and toward the rear of the door. The ones I can see in the picture are outlined in orange. There are somewhere around 11 or 12 plastic pop-its that will simply “pop” out and expose the inside of your door. These pop-its won’t come apart from your door panel, so you don’t have to worry about chasing them, unlike the ones under your hood.

Gently pull on the plastic toward the top-rear of your door to expose your broken door handle. I believe it is a tar-based substance which holds this in place. It’s not really anything nasty, but can leave a small residue

Step 3: Inspect your old handle.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/IMG_4858-1.jpg

The reason (most likely) that your handle is broken is that the plastic bar is missing where the green outline is. When you pull the handle, it pushes the bar, which rotates the gold lever, which pulls on the cord, which pulls the door latch. Without this bar, nothing is accomplished.

To begin, remove the cord where the pink arrows are pointing. You’ll have to slide it out of the metal hook on the right, then remove the end from the green hook on the left.

Once this is removed, you can start by removing the two bolts in red. Even though there is an “8” stamped on it, it is a 10mm hex head. The bolt on the right will be accessible with your ¼” ratchet, while the bolt on the left you will have to be patient with since only a small wrench will fit in there. If you have a ratcheting wrench, more power to you! Otherwise you will only be able to manage perhaps a quarter-turn at a time.

Now, remember back to when you inspected your new handle? Remember those tabs that were circled in orange? Those are the little devils you will be cursing for the next however-long-it-takes-you. The OEM handle uses metal tabs, and the Subarupartsonline uses plastic tabs, FWIW. My method? Pull from the outside of the handle while using your wrench to push up on one tab at a time. It worked but was frustrating. Another method I thought of after the fact, is to either snip off the tabs or to push up using your flat-head screwdriver. By all means, do not… I repeat DO.NOT. try to stick anything between your exterior panel and your handle. You WILL put a small dimple in your door.

Step 4: Check vacation pics to see if you’re missing anything.

Nope. You’re not. The vacation pics (in this case) are useless to removing the tabs.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/VacationPicsDoor.jpg

Step 5: Install new handle.

Take everything you learned, and put everything back the way you found it with the new handle.

In order:

1. Insert new handle from outside  inside.

2. Insert 10mm bolts, turn wrench/ratchet.

3. Re-install the cord.

4. Re-apply the plastic tightly against your door.

5. Pop your door panel in place.

6. Find your 3 Philips-head screws and put those back.

7. Pop the plastic guard back in place.

8. Put the black interior door handle back in.

9. Admire your work.

10. Close the door and re-open it (with your keys in your pocket).

11. Listen to the nice sound it makes when you open it and how it feels (it really does feel and sound like a better handle than OEM. It makes a nice solid noise when you open the door that you will only find in German cars. Not the chintzy “tick-tack” that the OEM handles do. Opening the door feels more buttery-smooth and solid than OEM too.)

12. Remember that you can open the door again without having to do the reach-around or climb through the other side to open it.

TOTAL COST: $108.59*

Door Handle: $42.06

Paint & Labor: $66.53*

*Your cost may vary, because I called the local dealership to have it painted, and was quoted $65 over the phone. I went into the dealership to drop off the handle, and was told it would be >$120. When I told the body shop manager that I was quoted $65 over the phone, he said "hmmm, half price... ok. Your new price is going to be $68.01 after tax". When I went to pick it up, I ended up paying $66.53. In essence, your final price will be different depending on how much your local dealership wants in their pockets.

• 6 months later...

Stumbled on to this thread, looking for guides to service my drivers side door handle as well as take care of the broken driver side window switch.

Part of the issue I think is that the cable that releases the latch stretches a little over time. While in there changing the handle or for any other reason, you may be well served with lubing stuff up.

I was also able to repair the window switch as well. I'll do a separate thread for that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived