LegacyGT.com

taking apart the driver seat w/ pics

comradmax

DSC_3687.thumb.JPG.3ebd769fa896eabba177e5b0cecffd7c.JPG

DSC_3719.thumb.JPG.2c52078911f7ca99554d386d9768f2ac.JPG

1. remove the 4 bolts holding the rails to the floor with a 14mm socket. the back ones are covered with plastic, just jiggle it around and pull off.

2. tilt the seat back and unplug the electrical connections.

3. to take off the plastic covers from the sides: there are 2 screws in each, on in the back and one on the side. the left cover's side screw is under the lever for back angle, so pull that up a little and unscrew.

4. you need to take off that handle to take off the big cover, to do that there is a tab on the back as seen in the picture.

DSC_3700.thumb.JPG.b6b4343a36a7a1f2604a5e6f6862bad1.JPG

5. the other handle is held with a 12mm bolt, use a flathead to just pull off the round cover to find the bolt.

6. the back of the seat is held with 2 14mm bolt on each side. on the right side one of them is covered by the seatbelt thing, so you need to take the off with a torx or like me, with a 1/4" allen (see pic)

DSC_3703.thumb.jpg.494fe91c11eb6f9c262cedd617ce2ed6.jpg

7. the seat cushin is a frame covered in foam, the cover is pulled on top of that. to take it off there are plastic rails that hook onto the metal edges. a long one in the front, a long one in the back, 2 short ones on each side. (see pics)

DSC_3713.thumb.JPG.f6f0ea018d19df7e8f4acd2c5b54245e.JPG

DSC_3708.thumb.JPG.aa949cb38ecc37d8f5d2f7f6ad1410a3.JPG

8. now the worst part, the cover is then held to the cushin with these long metal rods. the rods are threaded through channels in the cover and each is held to the cushin with 2 rings.

DSC_3693.thumb.JPG.d163efa4b7e6d453cd7e9b4cfa15ea55.JPG

there is one long rod that runs side to side in the middle of the seat, there are then 2 shorter rods on each side that run front to back. dumb way to take them off would be what i did, to un-bend the ends of the rods and pull them out. you'll never get them back in like that.

DSC_3688.thumb.JPG.0f5cff302b06b7468292bc5d2e4519aa.JPG

so do what i did in the end, pull apart those rings. first you can use a flathead to get them apart, then pliers for more. back the same way. this is a huge pain in the ass.

wow, they really have a tool for anything now:) the most specialized tool i have so far is a pair of snap ring pliers.

yea, i mean, be careful because of that airbag, but i didnt disconnect anything. maybe im asking for it and one of these days i'll get one to explode in my face because i wasnt careful. so for anyone thinking of disconecting those plugs under the seat, keep in mind that one of them sets off the airbag when it gets 12v.

also, after putting it back in there is a black plug on on the harness that plugs into the seat. what is that? i dont remember if i disconnected it when i was taking it out, but all the plugs that are on the seat are plugged into the harness, just this one black plug floating around...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
what about the hard plastic back on the upper part of the seat???????????????????????????????????????????????? how do you get that off

Plastic backs are attached by 3 plastic pop rivets at the the top of the panel and plastic hooks at the bottom. To remove life a screwdriver or plastic trim removal tool under the top of the panel, feel for the rivets and pry off.

I am currently in the middle of full interior reupholstery job of my '05 manual LGT wagon with leather/alcantera inserts I got off of eBay (possibly Katzkin but not labeled). Will create a full post when done.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived