LegacyGT.com

05 lgt power steering issue

05 LGT, 135,000 miles. Squeal/shudder when cranking wheel hard at stop/low speed. It doesn't do it in park, but does when in drive/reverse and the rpm's drop. It has both new accessory belts from when I did timing belt few months ago, tension can turn it 90 degrees. Fluid level is fine, and I just did that top PS o-ring last year. It sure seems I've replaced most of the potential issues without doing pump or rack itself.

Some questions from first time owner (Manual 4th Gen Spec B, 127,000km):

1 - Is any old ATF fluid fine to put in the power steering reservoir? Is this fine: amzn.to/1VKQnAO ? It says it is for Automatic Transmission, and my car is Manual, so not sure.

2 - Is it fine to mix power steering fluid? ie I just add fluid to the existing fluid tank, or is that a bad idea and it's better to flush?

Thanks

I didn't see a part number for the fluid in your link, so I can't say for sure if that's ok to use or not. I attached a picture from a subaru bulletin, and a picture from the 2005/2009 legacy factory service manuals, which all list what fluids are ok to use. I think it would be fine to top off with any compatible fluid. I flushed my ps fluid last year, and it wasn't too hard. The steering feels so much better after a flush, too. Here's a thread on flushing the fluid.

By the way, 4L is a lot of fluid. I would only buy that much if you are flushing.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/howto-replace-power-steering-fluid-15-minutes-172976.html

subaru.approved.fluids.thumb.jpg.e19a8a57f0ec9862233f9d0a50a5d86e.jpg

2005.legacy_fsm_ps.thumb.jpg.68616159121a69e1278daa6225c6f863.jpg

2009.legacy_fsm_ps.thumb.jpg.e4b0f5b3ef79c98965c02cb44ddb995e.jpg

Same issue. Turning at a low rpm like backing up, the car will want to die and steering practically feels manual with a high pitch squeel. Trying a flush this weekend. I've done oring, fluid change, level is fine. Fluid is fine. So maybe a complete flush is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the o-ring on the ps cap is old and letting a little air in the system? I had to replace my cap last year, you can't get the cap o-ring by itself unfortunately.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll have to take a look. That's annoying about o-ring, I had same issue with the MAF o-ring, I had to go hunting for one and it's not the correct size but mainly works. Ridiculous spend $60+ for a $2 o-ring

Same issue. Turning at a low rpm like backing up, the car will want to die and steering practically feels manual with a high pitch squeel. Trying a flush this weekend. I've done oring, fluid change, level is fine. Fluid is fine. So maybe a complete flush is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not consistent which makes it frustrating, and it's maddening that first time I had issue was after turbo oil drain leak, tore a lot apart but not touched steering and had issues upon reassembly (squishy steering) then got that back to normal. Now I do the timing belt, again don't touch steering other than replacing the belt and having issues again

Archived