LegacyGT.com

Parking brake doesn't catch

stanjk3

Recently my parking brake stopped catching - if I pull it up it just springs back down. Once in a while it does catch. The release button feels like it's sticking. Any ideas what it could be and how hard it is to fix?

It just passed inspection last weekend, so it's not due to the brake pads being worn. The parking lots at home and work are mostly level, so I'm not too worried it might pop out of park and roll away.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Mine does this, and I found not pushing the button while pulling the handle up enables the brake to catch the teeth (you know, it so it sounds like a giant zipper?). Pulling back as you lightly push the button to disengage the brake is also a great trick.

If it still isn't catching, the spring is probably completely toast. Going to a salvage yard and getting another complete handle would be your best bet. Installation is a breeze.

Mine does this, and I found not pushing the button while pulling the handle up enables the brake to catch the teeth (you know, it so it sounds like a giant zipper?). Pulling back as you lightly push the button to disengage the brake is also a great trick.

If it still isn't catching, the spring is probably completely toast. Going to a salvage yard and getting another complete handle would be your best bet. Installation is a breeze.

same problem, same solution.

after a few months, the brake wasnt "pulling hard" enough for me- the travel was too long. tightening a few nuts, as per the manual not only helped the travel distance to engage with any effectiveness, but also fixed the "sticky button"

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

Archived