LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Goes Out Followed By Stall

80 degrees in Pittsburgh and I decided to take the Legacy out for a stroll. Of course something has to break on such a nice day.

I stopped at a red light and the power steering disappeared. Just tough to move the wheel. Lasted for about 10 seconds and then the engine stalled. I saw a small puff of smoke from the front of the hood. I restarted the car and everything seemed fine. Pulled over and inspected. I could not find any leaking fluids and no fluid levels were low.

An hour later, I was revving the engine in my driveway listening to a "tinny" metallic rumble at higher RPMs. Sounds like a lose heat shield. Then no power steering combined with engine stall 5 secs later. This time I heard some whining prior and a bit of whining after I restarted.

Any ideas what may be wrong? The engine stall piece is the part I really don't understand.

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Check the a/c compressor. Sounds like the clutch blew up. It would have locked up, causing the smoke, the belt stops along with power steering pulley.

Similar issue in my Camaro a while back... Frozen A/C Compressor/Pulley... Sooooo much smoke:eek: Belt will still ride over pulley but it's of course rubbing like no tomorrow:cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. None of those are feel good. Sigh.

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Archived