LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy vs 2004 STi

Areamihc

I was originally looking for a 02-04 WRX, love the AWD and turbo, and I can fit car seats in the back when I have to.

Stumbled across a 2005 Legacy GT and the edmunds specs seem to have something missing.

I know the 2004 WRX (no-Sti) gets better mpg than the 2005 Legacy GT.

I know the 2004 STi has 50hp more than 2005 Legacy GT.

What seems to be missing is that both are 2.5L DOHC Turbos. I tried searching all three cars on wiki and the only difference I can find is that the Turbo on the 2005 STi allows for 10% more power and 3% better MPG.

No tech spec's or anything. I am aware this is sacriligeous but I've been an evo fan for yrs so I don't 'know' Subaru's.

It appears to me it's not going to be as simple as yanking a turbo off a salvage STi and my 2004 Legacy will have the same Spec.'s.

The difference between the 05' Leg and 04' STi is:

Legacy is 37lbs Heavier

Legacy Wheelbase is 5.1 Larger

Legacy is .2" higher ground clearance

Legacy is .2" shorter (ironic?)

Legacy is 5sp Sti is 6sp

Legacy is -50bhp at 6krpm

I am aware the gearing for the STi would allow for better acceleration and top end assuming the gearing is set-up that way but bhp should be the same right?

Any info would be appreciated

The engines are slightly different. (I don't know exactly how, in terms of the actual physical layout). But the engine codes are different. Legacys run EJ255. STIs have an EJ257. They are very similar, with the STI being tweaked a bit.

Edit: A little google-fu and voila: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667168. Short answer ... higher compression.

I wouldn't really worry about the power / MPGs. If you looking for something a little more grown-up (meaning less cops harass you), and still fun to drive, go for the LGT. With an CBE / TBE and a tune, you can easily gain back that HP & MPG's back very easily. The Stock maps from the factory tend to always run richer than they need to be.

When it comes to size for kids in the back, I would stray towards the LGT if you plan on having this car for awhile. I had an 02 WRX when my daughter was born, she fit into it for awhile. Once she hit 3+, I knew that I needed something bigger, so I switched over to a LGT (wagon). I love the extra space and being less harassed then when I had my 02 WRX with a STI wing.

On the other hand, if you love the styling and look of the STI, go with that. As long as it's been taken care of, generally they're pretty bullet-proof. As for re-gearing it... I wouldn't (unless you have the $$$) re-gear it at all considering the 6MT tranny is amazing as is, and stronger than anything you'll ever need for a DD.

Thanks guys. I'm not really looking to regear the car or everything it was just a side-by-side comparison and the Engines were both flat 4's.

Dujo, I tried to google the codes and kept pouring over edmunds and wiki to find the specifics. That's why I bowed to somebody who would know exactly where they would be.

The carseats I think will be a rarity, though possible. I have an 07' Sentra S. that gets 40+ on the highway (gov/epa) is way off with the actual if you're not dogging the car. (It's only 6" longer than the 02' WRX Sedan)

You guys are both in the NE so you know what I'm talking about, waking up to 2' and roads that are hosed. You get hassled about a WRX? I have police staring me down with my car, which is essentially an upgraded Yugo lol.

Can't win them all I guess..

Ah, I wasn't saying you were Google-illiterate. Obviously, my search term was ej255 vs ej257. If you didn't know that up front, it's much harder. Of course, I learned those terms here from lots and lots of reading. You definitely came to the right place for info about the LGT. Tough to tell sometimes, but there was no snarkiness intended in my post. :)

As far as the police hassling goes, look at it like this: the general demographic for the STI is between 18 - 30. The general demographic for the LGT is 30+. Which of those demographics is more hassled by the po-po? The LGT looks a little bit like a grandma sedan while the STI looks a little bit like a hot shit rally car. In general, the STI is just a more attention grabbing car. That includes the attention of the 5.0.

By the way, in case it isn't entirely clear, there is a difference between a WRX and a WRX/STi. I believe a regular WRX is just a turbocharged Impreza. A WRX STi is also a turbocharged Impreza, but it has been tweaked to a higher degree (and not just in engine components). In fact, I don't know this for sure (somebody correct me), but the regular WRX might even have the exact same EJ255 that the LGT has (in a smaller/lighter car). The STI is the most hot-shit car Subaru makes. It's the halo car. The regular WRX is a step down from that and the regular Impreza is another step (or two) down from that. The LGT is in the non-STI WRX range while the Legacy 2.5i (no turbo) is in the regular Impreza range. The difference between the Legacy-based cars vs the Impreza-based cars is one of demographics. If you want a smaller, lightweight, super fun to drive car, get the WRX. If you need a little more room, a little nicer interior, a little more-well mannered, balanced all-around car that still a hell of a lot of fun to drive, get an LGT. If you care only about performance, get the top of the line STI. If you're wondering why the hell Subaru doesn't make a Legacy STi, well, then join the crowd here. (The enthusiasts have a little bit warped sense of reality. Obviously, the reason Subaru doesn't do that is because they think they wouldn't sell enough of them to justify it. They're probably right. In fact, there's a good chance that Subaru of America is going to stop making the LGT going forward. They aren't selling enough of those either. Damn unwashed masses.) :)

One more note ... all that stuff about the WRX and WRX STI being based on the Impreza is no longer true for the new Subarus. They are splitting the WRX and the Impreza lines going forward. But that doesn't really matter regarding used that you are looking at.

p.s. I have never driven a WRX or an STI. This is all hearsay on my part. Enjoy. :)

04 and 05 wrx = 2.0L dohc turbo

04+ sti = 2.5L dohc turbo

05+ lgt = 2.5L dohc turbo

all of these have different turbos, thus different power ranges. sti's got dual avcs opposed to our single avcs and 08+ wrx single avcs. and sti heads flow better from different components.

The 05' GT I was looking at just surpassed my cut off. Anybody looking for one non-limited that runs but needs a (I'm guessing) new battery and/or alternator that lives around VA and can tow the thing off the impound lot? Auction closes in 6 hrs.

So since the difference (I'm ball-parking here) is essentially the dual avcs turbo, is there any way to take a turbo and exhaust off the STi and put it on the 05' LGT?

BTW BMX Can you change your picture? It seems it takes me 10 minutes longer to type a reply because I keep staring...

improving performance for the LGT doesn't mean get sti things, we have a large market and there are better/easier ways to make power. dual avcs is cyl head related, and ecu and wiring harness related...not worth converting to that if its even possible. There are a billion mods available for the lgt so making it faster wont be a problem.

improving performance for the LGT doesn't mean get sti things, we have a large market and there are better/easier ways to make power. dual avcs is cyl head related, and ecu and wiring harness related...not worth converting to that if its even possible. There are a billion mods available for the lgt so making it faster wont be a problem.

But what if he want's to be fast like STI?

The 05' LGT with 116000 sold for $8300.25, not a bad deal for needing a battery and/or alt..

and unfortuantely probably head gaskets as well if they were not done recently.. that would bring cost up to 10 which is not such a great deal with that many miles.

mmm no. head gaskets are not a common issue on 05+ platform 2.5L legacy turbo and non-turbo, thus don't need to be replaced BECAUSE subaru switched to a steel/sheet metal style gasket opposed to previous year's paper-type.

• 2 weeks later...
Lets not forget that the 04 sti didn't have an immobilizer or alarm and hence it was one of the most stolen cars (no kefob or chip). Insurance on an LGT is hence much much cheaper.

all of these have different turbos, thus different power ranges. sti's got dual avcs opposed to our single avcs.

This is incorrect.

The STi only got dual AVCS after 2008, so the car that the OP is looking at would be single AVCS.

To the OP, these two cars are not even in the same stratosphere.

If you want leather, a sunroof, climate control, etc etc then get the legacy GT. (Think 335i, S4 etc)

If you want an all out, hardcore sports car then get the STi. (Much closer in design to the evo.)

If you want leather, a sunroof, climate control, etc etc then get the legacy GT. (Think 335i, S4 etc)

Budget 335i, A4, is probably more accurate. Don't get me wrong, I love my Legacy but the overall interior is not quite at the BMW/Audi/MB level. I still prefer it to the leather packages in most Ford/Chevy/Honda/Toyota.

Lets not forget that the 04 sti didn't have an immobilizer or alarm and hence it was one of the most stolen cars (no kefob or chip). Insurance on an LGT is hence much much cheaper.

I really doubt thats the reason for the insurance difference! When I was cross shopping Used Subies 4 years ago I went with the LGT, It was cheaper than the STi but about the same price as a WRX. However a short conversation with my insurance agent pushed me toward the LGT, About $1100 less per annum... for me at 22 years old (Then).

I suspect the difference is due to demographics as was previously mentioned.

http://www.insurancerate.com/expensive-cars-to-insure-subaru-impreza-wrx.php

To the OP, these two cars are not even in the same stratosphere.

two 4dr, awd 2.5T sedans from the same company and same generation are not even in the same stratosphere? Rediculous. IMHO they are basically the same car:lol:

Chevy Volt, Yamara R1, Maybach. Three vehicles not in the same stratosphere.

Its not an easy choice between an LGT and an STI specifically BECAUSE they are so alike NOT because "they are not even in the same stratosphere".:rolleyes:

i have to agree with LosAngelesGT, these car are so alike, to the point that if you change the bolt on stuff from the sti onto the lgt, it will work. I even have the same transmission as an sti (sans flsd,centre active diff) The deciding factor for me was unique-ness, bottom line and insurance rates.

The coolest thing is the sleeper factor of this car and versatility, you can go autocrossing in the day and then take the lady out at night while she complaints of your tire burning aftershave and numbered windows ( Best of both worlds)

two 4dr, awd 2.5T sedans from the same company and same generation are not even in the same stratosphere? Rediculous. IMHO they are basically the same car:lol:

Chevy Volt, Yamara R1, Maybach. Three vehicles not in the same stratosphere.

Its not an easy choice between an LGT and an STI specifically BECAUSE they are so alike NOT because "they are not even in the same stratosphere".:rolleyes:

The two cars are obviously built with two completely different demographics in mind.

So maybe I exaggerated a little, but I still hold to the fact that they are not that similar. The OP mentioned that he had owned an EVO previously Someone expecting EVO performance out of a legacy GT is going to be extremely disappointed.

If he's looking to replace the EVO with something a little more grown up, a little less harsh and a little more refined then the legacy GT will probably suit him well.

:cool:

The LegacyGT (specb particularly), STI, EVO all CAN appeal to the same enthusiast.

The difference is that the LGT can also appeal to grownups. Expecting "EVO" performance out of a 2.5i, now THAT would be disappointing.

Stratospherically different:

A delux-double stack-with-cheese and THE MOON.

Your opinion

black and white

Categorically similar:

Munster and colby-jack

awd turbo sedans in the 30k pricerange

my ex girlfriends.

Categorically similar:

Munster and colby-jack

awd turbo sedans in the 30k pricerange

my ex girlfriends.

Everyone has a "type", but there must be a few outliers... Variety is the spice of life!:lol:

Archived