LegacyGT.com

So how does this look to you?

As I was installing my group n tranny mount and TiC crossmember bushings I noticed this...

I'm not sure how long it has been this way but it looks like grease is leaking out the end of the boot....I don't know if this is a cause for concern or not. I don't really want to have to replace a half shaft right now.

Photo0091.thumb.jpg.5844f39abe057b2f3f310220f0644f8a.jpg

Photo0092.thumb.jpg.f5c0088032b9b79fc2688c06c7dbaf78.jpg

Photo0093.thumb.jpg.5597ed75a2c675722bc1f24759791e5f.jpg

boot end might be loose, might need a new ring around it. ive plugged plenty of holes with silicone gasket maker in boots with great success. those pics look like u might have one of those pin hole size leaks

Im in the same boat... was rotating my tires yesterday and saw both of mine looked identical to that pic. a quick look i didn't notice loose ends or any small holes but they are definately getting a bit on the dry/brittle side... was in a hurry also though, I think from the grease showing on the shaft on mine i think its squeezing outa the bottum.. possibly due to "Shrinkage/age?

Ive noticed most of my boots/joints ect.. are about shot/cracked under my car, wensday when im under it again and have more time im going to start a list so i can start gathering up everything i need to replace on the underside... Already have to due lower control arm ball joints also and some other misc linkage.. Getting under my car now has become more dreadful and worrisome as time goes on..

Mine currently looks much worse. I already had the ring on the end replaced then a coulpe thousand miles later the boot is shredded. So I just ordered a rebuilt axle offline for like 90 bucks with a 60 dollar core fee. Its a little bit more expensive than just replacing the boot but should last as long as a new axle from the dealer. Plus I didn't had to deal with disassembling the cv joint.

Yep my dp is currently covering the axle boot grease and power steering fluid(ATF). Never really noticed the smell unless I was under the car. But the dp was thoroughly coated in everything.

Wait till you spew all the grease onto the DP. Stinky!

replaced mine last week - $129.00 for the half shaft + labor so all in all it cost me about $200. Unfortunately the car now vibrates significantly more when idling in gear, I have to take it back to see whats with it. Also when my mechanic replaced my half shaft he noticed that my lower control arm busings are separating and need to be replaced, check yours as well.
I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

Looks like you're missing the metal clamp over the small end of the CV.

Its there its just really dirty

replaced mine last week - $129.00 for the half shaft + labor so all in all it cost me about $200. Unfortunately the car now vibrates significantly more when idling in gear, I have to take it back to see whats with it. Also when my mechanic replaced my half shaft he noticed that my lower control arm busings are separating and need to be replaced, check yours as well.

Keep us updated on your vibration, and I think my lca bushings may be separated as well...I don't suppose you could take a pic for me to reference? :D

Maybe over the weekend I'll put the car up on jack stands and inspect the boot a little better. What kind of silicone sealer would I use on it?

This is not my car but here is a link of someone else's with same problem. When I get a chance I'll put my car on ramps and take some pics.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/which-parts-thisi-and-normali-136269.html?t=136269&highlight=lower+control+arm

I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

Keep us updated on your vibration, and I think my lca bushings may be separated as well...I don't suppose you could take a pic for me to reference? :D

Maybe over the weekend I'll put the car up on jack stands and inspect the boot a little better. What kind of silicone sealer would I use on it?

It almost looked like it's all blowing through where the boot slips over the halfshaft.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

something from permatex that is high temp... like black

need to clean the area, apply, let dry and hope for the best it sounds.

I say do it now on your schedule instead of waiting for it to break Saturday night at 11pm, 200 miles from home!

You found it, might as well fix it.

18% interest is cheaper than a tow truck, 2 nights at a sleezy motel, and missing a day of work.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

both of my boots look like your pic. We noticed it when we were replacing my spark plugs. I don't really think it has much to do with the heat from the downpipe since the boot near the downpipe, and the one on the other side are leaking grease. neither boot appears to have any tears or holes and the compression rings are still on.

I say do it now on your schedule instead of waiting for it to break Saturday night at 11pm, 200 miles from home!

You found it, might as well fix it.

18% interest is cheaper than a tow truck, 2 nights at a sleezy motel, and missing a day of work.

:yeahthat:

Completely agree. Quote around, just have the axle replaced, then it's done for another 50k+ miles... probably more.

-Bill

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Archived