LegacyGT.com

Alignment Issues?

Bob Brown

My lady has a 2012 Legacy Limited. She hit a "step up" where they were working on the freeway which resulted in a seperated sidewall on the right front tire. Vehicle was towed to the dealer and a new tire was installed. Car drove fine but had a "harmonic type moan" at about 40mph.....back to dealer and were told the wheel was bent....moved wheel to rear (moan moved to rear also) and ordered her a new wheel. Car drove fine, just the anoying noise. Wheel came in and she took the car to have it installed. New wheel was installed.....noise is gone (they also aligned the car)....now it seems to be very "twitchy" on the freeway. Had the dealer fax me the alignment specs and found that they had set the toe at 0 (even a tad plus on one side)....have heard that some toe is needed for freeway driving to eliminate the twitchy feel....any views on this. Also the right front camber would not align to spec (now -1.2 degrees or such...papers are at home)...dealer is talking replacing the strut and a-arm if the tire wears funny.....big bucks fix, not too sure how much I trust the dealer as they sent it out the first time with a bent wheel (later stated tht it balanced OK so didn't mention it). Thanks....

I don't really see a reason why the front camber couldn't be matched right to left. As for the toe, zero front toe is best for performance, but most people would prefer about -1/32 or so for DD and highway use. Positive toe on the highway is going to be twitchy. Not recommended.

Archived