LegacyGT.com

Legacy makes 296hp now

angeltalin

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/06/subaru-legacy-gt-now-makes-296-hp-in-japan.html

We've known for months that Subaru was working on a turbocharged (and direct-injected) variant of its FB-series engine, and a couple weeks ago, the first application of it went on sale in Japan in the Legacy GT DIT sedan and wagon.

This engine displaces 2.0 liters, but unlike the naturally-aspirated, port-injected version in the Impreza, it's not undersquare. Instead, it has an equal-length bore and stroke (86mm by 86mm) like the port-injected 2.0-liter in the BRZ and FR-S -- plus direct injection and a twin-scroll turbocharger.

The result is impressive: 296 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque from 2,000-4,800 rpm. Compare that to a mere 265 hp at 5,600 and 258 lb-ft from 2,000-5,200 from the port-injected 2.5-liter turbo in the now-discontinued, U.S.-spec Legacy GT sedan.

Mind you, Fuji Heavy Industries isn't offering the new 2.0-liter turbo with a manual gearbox in sedan, but with a version of its CVT. That's out of character for a GT-badged Legacy, but this car is less sporting than it used to be and, as Nissan has shown, CVTs tend to be a lot less annoying when you pair them with engines that have a ton of torque.

Now's the point in the post when we start whining about the far less satisfying engine options on the U.S.-spec 2013 Legacy. But we're confident that tightening fuel economy standards will force Subaru to offer this engine here eventually. FHI says it's 20 percent more fuel-efficient than the old 2.5-liter turbo.

If true, that works out to something in the neighborhood of 25 mpg combined. That's good for a heavy AWD car -- so good we'll be very surprised if this engine doesn't replace the underperforming 3.6-liter H6 engine in the Legacy and Outback (and Tribeca?) come the 2014-2015 model year

StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Didint know it was already posted, mods feel free to close and move sorry
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Would it be better if Subaru discontinued their CVTs so their CAFE ratings dropped so low that they were forced to discontinue production of every turbocharged performance car they make?

How about telling to government to mind their damn business,and let free market economics do it's thing without the govt interfering and forcing automakers to comply with CAFE standards in the first place.? Back on topic i'm very excited about the next gen DIT engines i know the aftermarket will love them. Bring back the GT! this engine has alot of potential I'm excited about the next gen WRX and this engine can't arrive soon enough! The EJ was a great engine,it was around for a long time with various improvements and tweaks. I do wonder what it would be like with chain belts and DI. The FA and FB have already proven to be awesome successors and i know Subaru, these new engines are awesome and do deliver. They are working on turbo FB's? i thought the turbo motor will be FA? so thats excellent news that both are being Turbocharged. I hope Subaru brings over their diesels too.

How about telling to government to mind their damn business,and let free market economics do it's thing without the govt interfering and forcing automakers to comply with CAFE standards in the first place.? Back on topic i'm very excited about the next gen DIT engines i know the aftermarket will love them. Bring back the GT! this engine has alot of potential I'm excited about the next gen WRX and this engine can't arrive soon enough! The EJ was a great engine,it was around for a long time with various improvements and tweaks. I do wonder what it would be like with chain belts and DI. The FA and FB have already proven to be awesome successors and i know Subaru, these new engines are awesome and do deliver. They are working on turbo FB's? i thought the turbo motor will be FA? so thats excellent news that both are being Turbocharged. I hope Subaru brings over their diesels too.

I actually agree with you. I actually didn't disagree with you TOO much before other than the constant craziness and hatred for all things CVT and 5th gen. While the looks of the 5th gen are debatable (and I agree with you on them) the CVT I think would do wonders for a couple who 1 person gets extreme motion sickness like my girlfriend (who almost acts like she's going to puke as I shift) and the 300 hp would make someone who enjoys a little more power when they want it and still be very drivable. She also doesn't want to learn to drive a stick and I didn't want to but an auto. Maybe now I can have my 4th gen and we can have a 5th gen CVT or, I wish, a diesel Outback or Forester.

This is a nice article for the JDM folks but they have already announced that the LGT is dead for the USDM crowd. I love the look of that JDM wagon I wish the USDM, BM looked this good I would honestly leave my beloved BL......:redface: i would strongly consider it :lol:

Archived