LegacyGT.com

97 Outback Driver's Door Lock Problem

Recently acquired a 97 OB and am having a problem with the drivers door lock. When ever I hit the lock button inside the car, it won't lock the drivers lock, nor will the keyless entry system. Is there some sort of an actuator I need to clean or replace? I searched, and didn't come up with much.

• I Donated

Are you able to manually lock and unlock it?

Take a look in the Engine FAQ at the fop of the forum. There is a link to the factory service manual in there. Find the parts diagram and it will help explain some things.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

do the other door locks activate when you push the lock button on the driver door?

do you have a key fob / remote to lock the doors. what happens when you press and hold the unlock button?

someone probably unplugged or removed the wireless entry unit under the dash.

Hmm i'm pretty sure it would be electrical.

Im experiencing this in a 98 OB as well.

Except, the doors lock at the touch of a button, unlocking....

will eventually work i just have to press unlock button about 30+ times.

The Aftermarket remote behaves the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

If the system was just put in and you started having the problem after the install I would run it back to the shop and have them check to make sure they didn't mess anything up.

Otherwise, you're probably going to have to trace the wiring from the actuator to the door lock timer (or whatever door lock controller Subaru uses). I would use a multimeter to test continuity to make sure the wire(s) is connected and not broken between the two points. Test on all wires connected between the two points.

If there are no problems there then its likely the door lock timer itself, unless by some chance it has voltage or ground input for each lock then it could possibly be an issue prior to the timer. I'd lean more towards a wire being broken or unplugged somewhere though, especially if someone has been under the dash.

+1 Take it back to the shop that installed the keyless entry. It is unlikely that it is their fault since they just tied into the factory wiring, but they should take a look at it and let you know what the problem is. And of course give you a quote to fix the problem.

If it wasn't working before the keyless was installed, it won't work after. Have you checked that you have power and ground at the actuator? Both leads should rest at ground and one should pulse positive when you lock and the other wire will pulse positive when you unlock.

• 4 weeks later...

First you need to find the doorlock module. Its a silver box to the left of the steering column and the harness exits straight down. Look up under the dash and it should be easy to find and access the wires.

After you find the module, test continuity on the unlock wire from the module to the accuator. You'll want to see an impedance that is a few ohms or below. If you have an impedance that's too high, or an open circuit then you will probably find it easiest to run a new wire to the accuator. You can look for a break in the factory wire but that can be a real pain in the ass. Check in the door boot first because that's is the most common location for factory wires to break.

If you have good continuity then perform the same test at the doorlock module that you did at the accuator. The unlock wire should rest at ground and switch to 12v when you hit unlock. If you get the same results at the module as you did at the actuator then you'll want to replace the module or wire in your own relays.

If there is continuity on the unlock wire and the wires test properly at the module then go back and triple check everything.

It is very important to swear A LOT while performing these tests. That way the car knows that you mean business:)

Let me know what you find.

It sounds as though there is a break in the wire and that would definitely keep it from locking or obviously unlocking. Both wires rest at ground, and that ground is what allows the motors to work when the opposite wire switches to 12v. When the lock wire is switched to 12v, the ground on the unlock wire is essential for the motor to work. There is a break in the unlock wire, thus the motor is not grounded when the lock wire has 12v.

Archived