LegacyGT.com

Emblem curiousity

Hello all, I was just wondering what the significance of the "i" emblem has for the Subaru. I've seen it around quite a bit, but I don't really know what it stands for. Thanks for indulging my silly question.

http://www.eautoworks.com/productimages/STi_blue.jpg

actually there are 5 stars, plus the 6th large star to symbolize the 5 japanese manufacturers becomeing 1 Fuji Heavy Industries.

Yeah you're right about the Subaru logo. More specifically, Subaru refers to the stars cluster of Pleiades. The large star is supposed to be Aldebaran is which the main star of Tarus, a constellation that Pleiades is part of. There is your useless trivia for the day. :p

So what was the consensus of the 'i' logo? Impreza sounded like the best answer to me. I mean, why would they have it stand for the 'international' in STi? That doesn't seem to make much sense, although I still don't really know.

I guess I misunderstood the original poster's question, however there has been some confusion over the STi acronym:

http://www.subaru.com.cy/about/associates/imgs/img_sti.gifhttp://www.subaru.com.cy/imgs/common-dot-001.gifSubaru Tecnica International

www.subaru-sti.co.jp/e

Successes at the WRC (World Rally Championship) are the very symbol of Subaru’s driving performance. Our multiple victories make our history there a colorful and glorious one. And the organization operating and supporting all Subaru’s activity is Subaru Tecnica International (STI). In addition to developing the WRC cars based on our production models, STI has led the Subaru World Rally Team to world rally stages. The technology polished through the sixteen tough rally stages becomes feedback for Subaru production cars. This superior mechanism shared by our WRC cars and Subaru production cars is what Subaru calls Symmetrical AWD.

http://www.subaru.com.cy/about/associates/

Too bad Subaru can't use the Galaxy name. It sounds like a model name. Ford would probably get pretty P-O'd.

---

The "i" is for Impreza. L7 is for Legacy, and the 7 stars of the Pleadies. Subaru in Japanese is the name for what we know as the Pleadies.

I believe that there are only 6 of the stars shown on the badge representing the 5 companies that merged into 1, as Fuji Heavy Industries, including Nakajima Aircraft, created in 1917, which was re-organized into Fuji Sangyo Co. Ltd. after WWII.

Not-quite incidentally, Nakajima Aircraft had been instrumental in Japan's WWII aircraft industry, creating many interesting and potentially tide-turning aeronautical advancements of original theories, and improvements on German Luftwaffe designs. Rocket-propulsion, delta wings, and other advancements. If the tide of the naval war hadn't turned at Midway, and the European theater hadn't choked off supplies from Germany, and if Japan's Air Force had been further along before the end of the war, it may have played out differently. Allies found massive undiscovered, underground aircraft factories underground after Japan's surrendered. If they had actually started significant production, rather than being in the final stages of development, who knows what the allies would have faced in japanese airspace. The Allies promptly took advantage of all of these advancements.

One of Japan's leading aeronautical engineers, who's name escapes me at the moment, later became instrumental in the US AirForce's early aircraft development, into planes like the Starfighter, Sabre and Super Sabre, and then got involved in the fledgling US Space Program. It is amazing how former deadly enemies have become such mutually beneficial allies.

Nakajima Aircraft Co. became Fuji Sangyo, and then, was split up into twelve business units in 1950. Some of those parts would later be re-fused into Fuji Heavy Industries in 1953. A Quote from http://www.subaru-global.com/about/history/1953-001.html

From Subaru-Global.com:

Fuji Sangyo was divided into 12 companies in accordance with the corporate credit rearrangement law in 1950. Then, in 1953 Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. was created as an aircraft manufacturing, sales, and maintenance company through investments from five of these companies: Fuji Kogyo, a manufacturer of such products as scooters; Fuji Jidosha, which was principally involved in bodywork for buses and developing the small P-1 concept car; Omiya Fuji Kogyo an engine manufacturer; Utsunomiya Sharyo, a rolling stock manufacturer who, at that time, was gearing up to restart aircraft production; and Tokyo Fuji Sangyo, a trading company that sold such products as buses, streetcars, and generators. Two years later, these five investors were merged with FHI and began the full-scale business activities of the FHI that we know today.

Needless to say, I find history very interesting.

I guess I misunderstood the original poster's question, however there has been some confusion over the STi acronym:

...Yeah..... I already knew what STi stood for. So are you saying that this logo:

http://www.eautoworks.com/productimages/STi_blue.jpg

also represents STi?

EDIT: Forget this post, IwannaSportSedan snuck in a post before me clarifying and answering my question.

I don't buy that the "i" emblem stands for "Impreza". The SPT section of the Subaru.com website lists the blue "i" grille badge as a performance part for the Legacy GT (why it's considered a performance "part" instead of performance "merchandise" is beyond me). Why would they sell an "Impreza" badge as an upgrade for the Legacy GT?

I guess I can believe that the emblem represents the "i" in STi, but you'd think they could have come up with something better.

I don't buy that the "i" emblem stands for "Impreza". The SPT section of the Subaru.com website lists the blue "i" grille badge as a performance part for the Legacy GT (why it's considered a performance "part" instead of performance "merchandise" is beyond me). Why would they sell an "Impreza" badge as an upgrade for the Legacy GT?

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. That's why I had wondered what the 'i' stood for in the first place.

I guess I can believe that the emblem represents the "i" in STi, but you'd think they could have come up with something better.

I feel the same way. However, STi rabbit logo is weird and "out-of-nowhere" enough to work.

http://www.eautoworks.com/productImages/STi_rabbit.jpg

I am not buying that the "i" logo has anything to do with STi.

STi has a logo, and a cool one, at that. "i" is the most non-descript letter in the acronym. Subaru and Technica are both more apt than the "international" part. The "i" isn't even capitalized...

The "i" logo seems to me to make the most sense an Impreza thing, that someone at SPT decided was a direct part-replacement for a certain part-number 6-star oval, without regard of model, even though the "i" context is specific to Impreza...

It could even be a database oversight in the website.

Theoretically you could put an L7 badge on a WRX, if you wanted to. It wouldn't be accurate, but you could do it.

I think the rabbit logo is from the scooter line that FHI sells in asia (from reading Subaru's Global site.) The context is pretty much lost on North America. It would be like if Honda started putting the motorcycle wing logo on their high-performance car offering (a rabbit logo from a scooter being used on an STi motorsport offering...)

Actually, I think that rabbit CF badge is kinda quirky-cool. I kinda like it!

I am not buying that the "i" logo has anything to do with STi.

STi has a logo, and a cool one, at that. "i" is the most non-descript letter in the acronym. Subaru and Technica are both more apt than the "international" part. The "i" isn't even capitalized...

The "i" logo seems to me to make the most sense an Impreza thing, that someone at SPT decided was a direct part-replacement for a certain part-number 6-star oval, without regard of model, even though the "i" context is specific to Impreza...

It could even be a database oversight in the website.

+1... It makes more sense to me to be Impreza than International.

Actually, I think that rabbit CF badge is kinda quirky-cool. I kinda like it!

+1

:)

-ben

I actually talked to my dealership guy today, and asked him the exact same question. The "i" stands for Impreza. He answered my question without a hint of hesitation. Even before I finished explaining myself.

Oh and by the way, things are looking up for me to become a new LGT ltd 5mt owner by th end of next week!!

Oh and by the way, things are looking up for me to become a new LGT ltd 5mt owner by th end of next week!!

Congrats, that was my drug of choice too infused with some STi bling of course. I had planned on going Altlanic Blue first then going with a bronze trim scheme (wheels and so on), but the dealer had a silver one on the lot that had all the options for 4k less. Too bad everyone breathed on it, but if I do end up giving it a rally-esque attitude, I don't think that will matter much anyhow :D .

:offtopic: I owned a rabbit. It was my first car. 1978 VW 4spd, Bosch Fuel Injection Kraco AM/FM cassette, & no seat belts:cool: . I could do things with that car the Duke's couldn't do with the General Lee.:D Yee Haa!

I feel the same way. However, STi rabbit logo is weird and "out-of-nowhere" enough to work.

http://www.eautoworks.com/productImages/STi_rabbit.jpg

This is freaking sweet! It's like a combination of the VW and Subaru cars I've had. I'd totally use it if it were the same size as the normal emblem.

Side note: I thought L7 stood for the 7th version of the car. I'm probably making this up ...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived