LegacyGT.com

I replaced my carpet

silver03

I went from nasty tan to black. The car looks amazing and I think the two tone black/tan interior should have come that way from the factory. I started at the rear seat and worked my way forward. I have a couple of pics. What I learned as an amateur:

1. Necessary tools include: a couple of plastic interior clip pry bars (harbor freight), a phillips and standard screwdriver of differing lengths, a T50 torx (pass seatbelt), 14mm socket, ratchet and extension. A flashlight and a trouble light are also extremely helpful. A bottle of simple green and a shop vac while your in there. WD40 and anti-seize

2. Back seat bottom just yanks straight up (no bolts like impreza)

3. The trim along side the edge of the car is really very easy to remove and reinstall.

4. Know how to release airbag connectors (slide green connector back, lift tab, pull apart)

5. Remember to re-anchor the sub under drivers seat.

6. Center console lifts up and over e-brake.

7. Take the time to lube your e-brake cables with a shot of WD40 and a touch of grease around the moving mechanism.

8. Dab a drop of anti-seize on the rear interior front seat bolts. (I had to take the grinding wheel to them, mine were so rusty)

9. WD40 gas and trunk release lever + touch of grease

10. Double check for tools, screws, connectors before laying in new carpet.

11. Turn off your dome light if you want to save your bulb.

12. Just unscrew your OBD port from the black trim and than remove it (the trim)

13. Remember to reconnect the harnesses for your: seats, subwoofer, cig lighter and heated seat switch prior to reassembly.

038.thumb.jpg.40b8366625d496020e0a38282f8b096d.jpg

039.thumb.jpg.8c6db704e8c6d9168bb683ed3723e89b.jpg

035.thumb.jpg.08140d998f1d421d118c86c5ac2bd3cd.jpg

037.thumb.jpg.3219eacb39cac94f8a403eb78cc42b5d.jpg

I agree, they should have done the black carpet from the get-go.

I am pretty sure they actually went to black carpet from 08+.

I wish. I have an 08 GT with tan interior and tan carpet.

Go Cardinals!

• 3 months later...

This is tempting. I have tan/tan interior, and I just spent a ton of time (and money on detailing stuff) to get the carpet even half way respectable again. I am going to strongly consider doing this.

I wish they at LEAST sold some tan all weather floor mats, besides those aftermarket ones that take up your whole floor.

How's the carpet holding up?

• 2 weeks later...

I used your write up this past summer when I swapped my carpet. Initially I had just planned on swapping the carpet like you did but when I went to the junkyard to get the carpet they had a whole black interior available so I did the whole car instead.

I would highly recommend anyone with tan carpet to do this swap. If I had just done the carpet it would have probably only taken 6 hours or so. It was like a new car after I did it.

Archived