LegacyGT.com

Issues connecting to ecuFlash and Learning view

ras06LGT

In preparation for upcoming hardware changes, I'm trying to sort out the issues I've been having with connectivity... I've read many, many threads and FAQs (both here and over at RomRaider.com) but still have a few questions.

I'm currently using a VAG-COM cable I bought off Amazon.com, along with Windows 7. I've followed various instructions, and tried various drivers, and have been able to successfully use RomRaider to log data. In fact, it works great. It does take a little while to connect, but it gets there eventually. Despite this success, I have NOT been able to get Learning View to connect. I've set the baud rate to the proper 4800, and made sure to select the correct COM port within Learning View, but I always get the same message telling me the ECU Init failed (and that I should make sure the correct port is selected, ignition on, cable connected - they all are). Have never gotten LV to work.

When attempting to connect ecuFlash v1.29, I get the message, "No Vehicle Interface" in the bottom right. From what I've read, this means a driver issue, but I've tried all the options I could find, but to no avail.

I know the car has been tuned by a previous owner, but have no way of contacting them (dealer purchased) and do not know the tuning method. Does the fact that I can connect via RR Logger rule out any cable/driver issues? Do I need to investigate the possibility of an Accessport still being married, or a locked ECU? Would I still be able to log with a locked ECU/married AP? Does LV and ecuFlash communicate with the ECU differently than RR logger would?

Answers to any of these questions would be very helpful. I'm struggling to understand what type of hurdle I'm actually facing. Simple cable/driver, or ECU-related.

Thanks!

Also, I'm sort of doubting the AP scenario, since via logging I've found my boost targets are 17.5 PSI max, and from what I've read on Cobb's website, their Stage 2 tune is only 16-16.5 (I've got a catless DP).

See the thread top of this (tuning) forum about 14 pgs worth, after reading you'll mostly realise vagcom is a waste of time and you should get a tactrix open port cable, albeit at a considerably higher price, it'll just work

the new vagcom cables seem to have issues with stuff. i bought my vagcom many, many years ago and can do ecuflash, rr, lv all without problems. many other users also are able to.

a few years after i bought the original i have, i bought another off ebay for a backup. cable looks visually to be the exact same. HOWEVER, it doesn't work with the version of ecuflash i have. so it's clearly internally different.

i suspect this may the case for a bunch of people who are having issues. there are various workarounds. a popular one seems to be using an old version of ecuflash.

Thanks for the info, but I ended up just buying a Tactrix. It should be delivered today. I realized that even if I did manage to get the VAG-COM to work, I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable trusting it to perform a successful ECU flash.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my Tactrix 2.0, and it works flawlessly, every time. Sure, the cable+tune is around $350 initially (still less than used APv2s I've found), but I like the abilty to go in after and make small tweaks. I don't like the idea of the AP maps being locked down. Switching maps on the fly would be kinda cool, but still also double the cost of open source.

That was my justification.

Ya ur right I guess I jus want the vagcom to work if I can save 150..anyway all other programs are closed wen I try to connect but when I open ecuflash it shows up in the bottom right as ftr233r USB whatever.. Something to do with the drivers I saw an error about the drivers not being 64 but wen I installed rr had error must be 32 bit so I fixed that with a java update and wen I installed vagcom got error say make sure driver is for 64 and I fixed that with a windows update. I don't think the driver ever installed correctly it does nothing when I manually choose the ecuflash driver

I found out through my extensive research in the Vag-Com cables that some of them have a different chipset than the FTDI that's required for the full vehicle pass-through functionality. That was the issue with the cable I had. For whatever reason, the logger functionality worked without issue, but I could never get LV or ecuFlash to connect.

What driver's are you using? Where did you get them from?

I got learningview to work finally! Thanx for doin that man idk anything about drivers tho I got them to work after a windows update pretty sure it's the ones that auto download when u plu in the cable, after I reinstalled it a hundred times.. I kno the hard part is yet to come but the first thing I got the cable to show up in is the bottom right on ecuflash as FT232 USB UART AM0267PC..havnt tried to pull my factory rom yet but least got the lv screenshot to the tuner.. Do you think I will be ok since I got lv to work or is it unrelated to the other programs? Reason I ask is thers a open port 2.0 goin on eBay for 140 right now.. Thanx for all the help

..havnt tried to pull my factory rom yet but least got the lv screenshot to the tuner.. Do you think I will be ok since I got lv to work or is it unrelated to the other programs?

Unrelated. You got an '05 so you should be ok. You will just need an older version (1.29a from memory? No pun intended...) of ecuflash. All different versions can be downloaded from here (3/4 of way down page, plus info on compatibility shown too)

http://www.evoscan.com/free-ecu-rom-downloads

Yes everything is working fine now with the vagcom I would recommend cars 05-06 (or watever else works with vagcom)to realy try the vagcom first tho just be patient it took me awhile to get the drivers working but now it works like a charm. It just randomly started working one day about the time I was ready to give up and go for the tactrix try using different USB port different drivers and reinstalling everything..thanx every1 for all the help

Archived