LegacyGT.com

Turbo blew 3000 miles after replacement. Need advice

Year: 2006

Model: Legacy GT Limited 5MT

Turbo blew at 153,000 miles and I took it to a subuaru dealership. They determined the cause was a blocked banjo bolt filter. Ended up buying a used VF40 here off the forums that had about 40,000 miles on it and had no pull or play in it. Both me and the mechanic said it was in good condition. Replaced the banjo bolts, oil lines, gaskets and everything then they put in the used turbo for me. Everything seemed fine but after 3000 miles the turbo went out again last night with a pop. I immediately had it towed back to them. Now the dealership is saying that because I used a used turbo of my own there is no warranty and they won't cover anything. They are also saying I need a new shortblock for my engine... Really I just want to know if anyone can say if I have any ground to stand on here concerning this. As far as I'm concerned if I paid to have the oil issue fixed, it should have been fixed and I don't know of any other way for a turbo to fail. So if it wasn't fixed shouldn't they cover it other than the cost of the turbo since I paid for that separately? Or could the turbo have gone out for another reason?

Unfortunately, they're right. You brought them a used part.

Unless you can prove that the new turbo failed due to their faulty install.

Thats more than likely how it works at Subaru. They probably even told you that.

Sorry but they did not do the right in the first place. They should have dropped the oil pan, check for metal, replaced the oil cooler and pump. after flushing the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry but they did not do the right in the first place. They should have dropped the oil pan, check for metal, replaced the oil cooler and pump. after flushing the oil system.

Forgot to add that they dropped the pan and flushed oil through the system several times. Nothing was found. No idea about the cooler and pump though seeing as it wasn't mentioned nor was it on the list of parts replaced.

The oil cooler has been known to hold metal chips and release them over time.

This time make sure they do it right, new oil pump new oil cooler, See my click here link for more ideas on replacing the shortblock.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

First, you brought them a used turbo. We've been doing this for the past 12+ years. Invariably 90% of used turbos will fail within 3-5K after installation. We flat out refuse to install them on customer cars for this reason.

Second issue is that you didn't buy the parts from the dealer, they can't be held responsible for parts they didn't provide. Also even if you buy a new one from them, SOA requires you to install a new oil feed line with it to have a warranty on the replacement turbo.

Third, as Max said, you should replace the oil cooler and oil pump anytime you have a catastrophic failure in the oil system.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

First, you brought them a used turbo. We've been doing this for the past 12+ years. Invariably 90% of used turbos will fail within 3-5K after installation. We flat out refuse to install them on customer cars for this reason.

Second issue is that you didn't buy the parts from the dealer, they can't be held responsible for parts they didn't provide. Also even if you buy a new one from them, SOA requires you to install a new oil feed line with it to have a warranty on the replacement turbo.

Third, as Max said, you should replace the oil cooler and oil pump anytime you have a catastrophic failure in the oil system.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

This. Regardless of being used or new. Every place I've worked specifically stressed no warranty on customer supplied parts. One shop wouldn't even install customer supplied parts.

Every place I've worked specifically stressed no warranty on customer supplied parts. One shop wouldn't even install customer supplied parts.

That's what really surprises me, that subaru was willing to install a used, customer supplied part.

Archived