LegacyGT.com

Should i change my springs myself?!

Crinaldi23

Hard?

Front= three top hat bolts, two lower bolts, one bolt for abs, one for brake line. Breakdown by removing top hat nut. No spring compressor required. Reassemble.

Rear= two top hat bolts, one lower bolt. Breakdown by removing top hat nut. No spring compressor required. Reassemble.

Where you at? I'll do it for $100 and a burger.

thats how much shops charge. they go by the book saying how long each job takes but i live in LA so lot of tuning shop. i got springs plus alignment for $160. i even asked a guy i know with a shop (not tuning shop) and he was charging me by the book saying it takes half a day which is Bullshiet it takes 2hr with alignment..

No compressor needed. Top hat bolts are under enough pressure to shoot maybe 18 inches. I laid them on the side and they shot off about 12 inches. It was weak. But it saves you from using a spring compressor. It can be done very quickly.

No compressor needed. Top hat bolts are under enough pressure to shoot maybe 18 inches. I laid them on the side and they shot off about 12 inches. It was weak. But it saves you from using a spring compressor. It can be done very quickly.

I have done spings on other cars before and it really is not a hard job at all. I am wondering about the sping compressor though. Is there really that little pressure on the springs that a spring compressor is not needed when taking off the hats? If so, then I am picking up some springs and going to town soon.

Kyle

You could also put on band clamps/lots of zip ties if you're worried about the spring tension... and the new ones are shorter, so you don't need it to get it off.

You could always go to autozone and rent it for free. You pay a deposit, and when you return it you get it back.

Just be prepared for rusted bolts.. pb blaster is your friend! :)

The point is you do not need them. I have done several Legacy spring swaps. There is no where near enough tension to warrant a compressor. I can lay the strut on the ground, hold it with my foot and take off the top hat nut. It is a joke.

The point is you do not need them. I have done several Legacy spring swaps. There is no where near enough tension to warrant a compressor. I can lay the strut on the ground, hold it with my foot and take off the top hat nut. It is a joke.

You do need spring compressors if you're attempting to re-install stock height springs. However, lowered springs like my pinks just bolt up.

Archived