LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

I have one in my basement doing nothing but taking up space. PM me if you want it.

ha ha thanks man, but I was shopping for one while I was reading through threads and purchased a perrin tmic for 718.00, I'll post some pics of the final product after its installed. Who knows though depending on the looks and fitment of the grimmspeed, and how the perrin performs, I may end up selling this one with only a few miles on it and trading it in for a grimmspeed since my tuner orders from them direct. I appreciate the offer though.

post pics of the final product pleeeease

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Since when have the BNR turbos been coming with BNR in the casting?

Since they stopped using vf40 cores. Probably two years ago.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

GS - just a thought here, but what are the chances you guys might offer a package in the GB to include one of your heat shields for the turbo? With that large piece of beautiful engineering hanging over the turbo I find myself justifying the need for one compared to my stock TMIC.

Also in wife economics, I'd be purchasing one packaged group of items instead of justifying multiple purchases. :-)

Since they stopped using vf40 cores. Probably two years ago.

Makes me glad I got my 16g BEFORE that. MUCH less worry about passing SMOG with something that has the proper labels vs. "BNR".

You can make the heat shield fit over a new BNR (BNR housing). You have to modify it for the WG arm. It is a very mild mod. If you are cutting the heat shield for a bell mouth DP, you wont have any issues making one more cut.

From the email this morning.

Good morning! This is a very exciting update for us, because as I type this, the final piece of the puzzle is coming together! The entire production run at the foundry*is complete and outlet end tanks (as well as the turbo adapters) are being machined! What you see above is an outlet end tank fixtured up so that the bypass valve feature can be machined. That includes face milling the flange surface before boring the center hole and tapping the mounting holes. All intercoolers will ship with M6 studs installed, ready for your BPV/BOV. This makes installation much easier and prevents the risk of crossthreading, which is very easy to do when bolting to aluminum on other intercoolers.

Not pictured is the machining operations on the 2-bolt turbo adapter. This adapter is cast and then machined for a perfect fit and features a relief for the o-ring that we've spec'd and will be including. It's a beautiful thing to see these coming together, knowing that just weeks ago they were massive chunks of raw aluminum!

What's Next?

With this, we're ready to shoehorn these bad boys into our welding schedule and start packing them up! WRX and LGT production splitters will be wrapped up and powdercoated by then so that we're ready to ship! We've put everything else aside to make a hard push to get these shipping by the end of the year!

A quick note regarding the Group Buy. We've had a number of requests for us to start the group buy early and accept pre-payment so that the Group Buy doesn't get in the way of holiday shopping. We completely understand and are going to do our best to accommodate. You can look for a Group Buy thread to begin in the first week of December and since you're on this email list, you'll also receive notice here. Thanks again for all of your support and patience! We're THRILLED with how these are turning out.

Just a reminder that we've also published pricing. We were able to come in under our target and hit an MSRP below $1000. Some dealers will be selling for below $900 and*our group buy will be below $800. That's including TMIC, mounting brackets, silicone couplers and splitters. Music to my ears!

http://media.giphy.com/media/Dz62ImmWRzAkw/giphy.gif

Good morning!

Ah, thanks for cross-posting. I realize that I've unintentionally neglected the LGT forum a bit - I'm due a huge update over there!

To answer your question, I think that's a great idea! I'll see what we can do about offering a couple of discounted 'add-ons' that would compliment the TMIC package nicely. We've got a new group buy system worked out that will allow you to very easily add other items to your order. No promises, as I'll run it past the team, but I think it's very doable!

Also, 'wife economics', I like that! I'll be getting married in June and will definitely be needing to learn the tricks of the trade in short order!

YES??!?

I completely understand your concerns. Without going into detail, here's where this gets complicated. Since we're a manufacturer, we need to have a part number for each package. So, with two fitments and two coating options, adding something like an AIT bung doubles the number of part numbers that we need to track. That's no problem, but it also doubles the number of products that our retailers and dealers need to stock in order to meet everybody's needs.

So, with that said, I wouldn't worry much about the coating. Aesthetically, it's a glossy black finish, so you could pretty easily touch it up with some spray paint after welding a bung on. Functionally, the coating is most effective when applied to the core. The end tanks are simply coated because it's most economical to coat the entire intercooler. In fact, the less heat transfer you have to/from the end tanks the better. On my own personal car, I've got the TMIC thermal dispersant coated and then wrapped the end tanks in heat reflective foil. That's a VERY effective solution. A longer term project that I've been working on is that heat reflective foil that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It's possible that we'll have that ready for the release and can make it an add-on purchase. You'd be applying it yourself. If not, I can make other recommendations. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

Pictures in the car. I've currently got the stock TMIC in for some baseline datalogging, but here's what I dug up from previous installations.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/08TMIC_preproduction_1.jpg

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/08TMIC_preproduction_2.jpg

It's all good!

Yep, I can too. I'm pretty OCD about stuff like that.

I do have a couple ideas for something that might work as a solution for people. It won't be ready right away with the launch, but it is something that I'm working on. No cutting/drilling/welding required.

Oh, in case your not on the newsletter email list (you should be, check the first post!), here's a teaser from this morning's update!

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/08TMIC_machining_endtanks_1.jpg

Cheers! Have a safe weekend!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

• Moderators
Curious how the LGT splitter will match up with the Outback's engine. I think the TMIC is about an inch lower in the Outback.

Been wondering this myself. But I doubt GS will do anything specific for the outback platform, just gonna need to figure out a solution on our own.

I was thinking that some sort of stick on foam or similar could work. Attach to TMIC so that the splitter makes contact.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(