LegacyGT.com

newb key programming question?

:confused: do you have to have the dealer program the key or do you guys know a way around it. 37 bucks to program the key :(

just wondering if the programming is putting one key in the door and one in the ignition and turning a certain number of times to program and sync the keys.

my audi are like that. just wondering.

thanks

:confused: do you have to have the dealer program the key or do you guys know a way around it. 37 bucks to program the key :(

just wondering if the programming is putting one key in the door and one in the ignition and turning a certain number of times to program and sync the keys.

my audi are like that. just wondering.

thanks

$37 is a good price since many shops have a minimum 1 hour labor charge, even though a procedure like pulling trouble codes takes 5 minutes.

Registering a new key requires the use of a Subaru Select Monitor, a $2000+ tool. But I've heard rumor that an EcuTeK tuner can also register a new key with the immobilizer system.

• 6 months later...
You still can't program the keys without visiting the dealer.

Yea it sucks... :mad: I read further down that link I posted and another thread that the immobilzer can only be programmed by the dealer.

Cost me $80 to get two keys cut and programmed, on top of the cost of buying the blanks.

Dayum. I guess that price ain't that bad... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
I paid $110 with tax. total, including about $50 labor. :eek: After that key did not work in the door:mad:, they made a new one on my next trip there. That one involved a 46 mile drive, which for some reason did not appear on my bill. :confused:They showed the same mileage in and out. I can only assume the car was driven to the sister dealership, since my dealer has no key cutter. I think they used a hardware store the first time. I don't think they made money on me.:lol: How many smilies are allowed in one post?

Archived