LegacyGT.com

5 EAT dipstick level/capacity?

tLewis7

From what I've read the most imortant thing is to not overfill. I don't know how much either, I'd add very little ( a few ounces at a time). I think the 5eat performs best below the full mark.

^ thanks JJr. I was planning on adding 100 ml @ a time and then recheck. I have heard the same regarding the 5eat performance at less then full and my plan is to run between the low and full index marks.

Your level will change after a test drive and going through all of the gears. And level will change when the tranny is up to full temp. Be patient and slowly top it off, multiple test drives, slowly bring it up to the mark you are shooting for. And consistently check it in the next few days.

After my last tranny swap it took almost 10 top-offs to get it to stay consistent on the dipstick.

After a long search, I was unable to find out how much ATF to add to bring the level from the "low" mark to the "full" mark when reading on the hot index marks.

Don't. Leave it where it is.

Why? It shifts better that way especially in cold. As long as it is not BELOW the low mark, you're fine. Monitor to make sure you are not leaking and losing it.

In fact, as long as you're somewhere between the hot and cold markins, it should be all good.

I speak from experience, I've always maintained mine right on in the middle between max and min on the hot markings and always had complaints about shifting especially in the winter.

Right now my level is somewhere between the hot marking and the cold markings. Has been that way for many miles.

^Thanks, as I have come to respect your comments for the most part given your experiences reported on the forum in the past. I did add to half way between full and add on the hot index this time but I am in the process of a "staged AT flush." That is, drain and fill 3 times in the next several thousand miles. I am due for #2 drain and fill in about 500 miles and will give a go at keeping level as you have described.

t. Lewis7 out.

Archived