LegacyGT.com

Error Codes: P301, P302, P303, P304 - Misfire Help

Hi folks. I have done some searches, but unfortunately have not yet decided on a starting point to try to fix this issue. As some of you are probably aware, these codes means that all 4 cylidners are misfiring. I have a 2008 Legacy GT with 60K miles. Plugs, wires, etc have never really been changed. Only maintenance really have been oil and filter (aside from transmission warranty work).

I'd hate to just throw parts in the car without having an idea of what could be wrong.

Has anybody been through this fix before?

Thanks

Plugs are due to be replaced every 60,000 miles.

These are coil on plug, so there are no wires.

It's not normal to get a CEL for that issue.

They need to changed any way's so start there.

Only use NGK's that are called for.

If your having a shop replace them, tell the guy you have all four miss-fire codes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Plugs are due to be replaced every 60,000 miles.

These are coil on plug, so there are no wires.

It's not normal to get a CEL for that issue.

They need to changed any way's so start there.

Only use NGK's that are called for.

If your having a shop replace them, tell the guy you have all four miss-fire codes.

I guess its a good time as any to replace the plugs. Actually, the CEL light went on and the "cruise" light was blinking when it started.

Thanks

We need more info. If it's a rough idle only when it's cold, then it may be the intake manifold gaskets/o-rings:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dealer-unable-properly-diagnose-problems-81832.html?t=81832

Solution was to change the intake manifold gaskets as described in post #36 of the same thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2309781&postcount=36

Have them verify the problem using carb cleaner before replacing it though.

All four means something common for all cylinders, but it can be just about anything if it's only those codes.

And common things are O2 sensors, MAF, MAP, PCV valve, evaporation system (in case you always fill up after the pmp has shut off), a loose hose, bad fuel pump...

453747.png

We need more info. If it's a rough idle only when it's cold, then it may be the intake manifold gaskets/o-rings:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dealer-unable-properly-diagnose-problems-81832.html?t=81832

Solution was to change the intake manifold gaskets as described in post #36 of the same thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2309781&postcount=36

Have them verify the problem using carb cleaner before replacing it though.

Awesome, thanks for that. It was in fact a bit shaky after a cold start in the morning a couple of days prior to the CEL going on.

your cruise light was flashing too?

thats strange, that usually never happens.

you should bring your car to a mechanic asap.

It is normal for the CC light to flash when you get a CEL in these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The valves should not need adjustment.

You could have a air leak at the intake o-rings where it mounts to the TGV's. I can't remember what CEL I got when they were leaking.

I replaced them with the new orange o-rings which are much bigger then what the 05's came with.

At least one member did have strange idle problems due to incorrectly adjusted valves, so if everything else checks out it's worth checking them too.

Not sure if it was on a EJ255 or if it was an older engine.

Be aware that even if a compression test checks out the valves may still need to be checked. A running engine has hotter valves and they can change enough in length to cause leaks only when the engine runs.

But since the problem is on all cylinders I don't think it's the valves. It usually manifests itself on a single cylinder.

453747.png

Archived