LegacyGT.com

Wheel experts I need help fixing rub issue

devxtech

Need some help. I went with a Rota G-Force 18x8.5 +48 Offset wheel that is wrapped in a 235/40/18 tire. On the way home from the dealer I noticed I'm getting some rub on the inside against the strut. Between the strut and the tire I have about a bit less than a finger width in the front (Haven't check the back yet). What would need to be done to correct the rub issue as I'm new to the wheel game. Would I need spacers or camber? If spacers, then where can I buy them and for how much? I'm really looking for the safest way to fix this without putting to much excess stress on the wheel bearings etc.

Any help is appreciated as I don't want to drive the car much until I get it corrected.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/devxtech/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/IMG_1305.jpg

Stock struts dont have much clearance for wide wheels. ruruoni, since you're on coils you have more clearance.

I dont think camber would solve it since it will tilt the top of the wheel inwards closer to the strut. I think a spacer would be the easiest option rather than getting smaller diameter tires. I remember VXCL had barely any clearance on his 18x8, +48 with 235/40/18 and he had Bilstein's as well.

hmmm.. its rubbing on the strut? Thats weired. I'm on 18x9.5 +33 on 255's and I have a bunch of clearance with the strut but the fender is another issue...

Well I'll start off by saying I believe it is rubbing on the strut and appears to only happen when turning. At a glance I didn't see any wear patterns on the inside of the wheel well or fenders. I'm still on the stock suspension setup for the '08 Spec.B and I've had a lot of people tell me that this wheel/tire setup should fit with no rub issues. So I'm a bit baffled as to what is going on. On that same note I'm an amateur to knowing about cars so I might not be describing everything all that well.

Tomorrow in the day light I'll get some pictures of the car up close and of the area I believe the rubbing is occurring at. In the mean time is there anything I should check while I'm taking photos?

Stock struts dont have much clearance for wide wheels. ruruoni, since you're on coils you have more clearance.

I dont think camber would solve it since it will tilt the top of the wheel inwards closer to the strut. I think a spacer would be the easiest option rather than getting smaller diameter tires. I remember VXCL had barely any clearance on his 18x8, +48 with 235/40/18 and he had Bilstein's as well.

Any recommendations on what size spacers might be needed? I have a guy locally that has a set of 1/8" spacers but I'm not sure if that would correct the issue.

Well I drove around all day in the car and didn't have any rub issues. After further inspection today I believe it's not rubbing the strut. I saw no rub marks on the strut anywhere. I think I might have been rubbing on the inner most part of the wheel wells since it only happened when I had to turn hard. I'm going to drive on it more and see if it keeps happening. If it does keep happening I will hopefully be able to pin point where it's rubbing so I can get it fixed.

Wow i was actually planing on getting those exact same rims except i was concerned with rubbing though, some people say it doesn't rub but I'm still not sure. I love how they look on the Legacy, what color is that? and where did you get them ?

It may be the particular tire (not just its size).

Over a year ago, I got some Ultraleggeras (18x8; ET48) for my (all-stock) 08 LGT.B and put Goodyear F1 All-Seasons in 245/40-18 on them. That combination rubs somewhere on the back (probably that plastic liner) on turns and compressions like railroad tracks. It turns out that the F1 A/S tire is wide for its size and has square shoulders.

I just put Bridgestone RE960PP All-Seasons in 235/40-18 on those wheels and have yet to have rubbing -- although I've not driven it loaded in the back. The PP A/S are a little narrow for their size (footprint-wise) because they have rounder shoulders.

Now the 18x8.5 wheels will change things a little bit, particularly the extra inboard quarter inch. Caveat emptor, I guess. HPH

Wow i was actually planing on getting those exact same rims except i was concerned with rubbing though, some people say it doesn't rub but I'm still not sure. I love how they look on the Legacy, what color is that? and where did you get them ?

The rubbing has become minimal now. Still in the hard corners it rubs but when I say rub it isn't like the cars starts jerking or vibrating. The car is going back up on the lift this weekend to get the TPMS sensors installed, forgot to buy new ones, so I'll check for any rub marks on the inner well and fender lining then. The wheel combo I have is the Rota G-Force Gunmetallic 18x8.5 +48 Offset wrapped in a 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle GT All season tire. The amount of distance between the strut and tire is about a finger width at the closest point. The distance between the outter edge of the tire tread and the front of the wheel well is about an inch and a half and about 2 inches from the edge of tire tread to the back of the wheel well in the front. The tire/rim sticks out about maybe a millimeter or less from the fender but with stock ride height it doesn't affect it much and is hardly noticeable.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from running this setup but I will say that the statement of no rub should be taken with a grain of salt as a lot of factors come into play. If the rub is on the wheel well then I might shave down the wheel well a little bit to give the tire more room if letting it rub for a week or two doesn't correct the issue by itself. If it appears the rubbing is on the fender lining then I'll remove the rubber strip and possibly roll the fenders a bit. Just trial and error. :lol: Overall I am satistified with the purchase and I'll try to get a better shot of the tires up soon with the car on the ground. :)

Edit: Just adding a few pictures.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/devxtech/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/11-01-09/IMG_1430.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/devxtech/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/11-01-09/IMG_1447.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/devxtech/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/11-01-09/IMG_1469.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/devxtech/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/11-01-09/IMG_1505.jpg

Your setup looks great. I'm still trying to decide if i should get them since i live in NYC pot-hole heaven:mad:; I don't want to be fixing rims every other day. I'm also considering getting sti bbs rims and painting them black or gun metal. Wonder if the clearance on a 05 LGT is different then an 08 Spec.B;i really like these rims:wub:

Archived