LegacyGT.com

External Wastegates, Anyone Have??

SubeCraz05

Its not worth doing an EWG setup unless you have a much larger turbo and need very precise boost control and going for over 400whp. And as far as meth/water is concerned, you will see some gain on the stock turbo maybe 20 peak hp, but its much better on a larger turbo setup.

99% people her will never need a EWG setup.

Expect to pay around $500 for an uppipe and a EWG new.

Unless you have major plans for your car (over 400whp) the EWG setup is not worth the added cost. If you can get it used for less, it might be worth it. I have one and I got a great deal from a fellow member who was parting out.

Also, keep in mind that you will have to plumb the dump pipe it into your downpipe if you wanna keep it civil. Otherwise, it gets VERY loud.

BTW, from a performance perspective there is no downside to EWG's. They control boost better and allow some of the exhaust gases to bypass the turbine housing, allowing for extended top-end performance over an IWG. Of course as with all things, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. EWG's involve the expense of the EWG, an EWG uppipe and unless you dislike your hearing you will also want to have a return to the downpipe fabricated.

bahhh they're not toooo loud. They def. break the necks of pedestrians u pass at WOT ;)

I have a one-off external up-pipe w/ turbonetics 38mm for sale if you're interested. been holding it out to sell to along with the sz55 I have sitting here as well.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44995

I have a thread

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

• 11 months later...
I'm considering getting a Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe for 44mm WG or UR EWG Uppipe, I have a 3" perrin catless dp anyone know if either of those uppipes would fit with the perrin dp? Is the 38mm slimmer than the 44mm WG? Definitely had my fair share of exhaust parts that didn't fit inconjunction with another brand of exhaust part, figured I would ask those who have the ewg setups on their LGT's. Anyone run into fitment issues?

you have a green if i recall correctly? Its just throwing more things into the mix, i remember last time you werent very happy when ur car was down for a while. Whats wrong with the iwg?
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

you have a green if i recall correctly? Its just throwing more things into the mix, i remember last time you werent very happy when ur car was down for a while. Whats wrong with the iwg?

I do have a green, and I can’t think of many people who are happy when this car is down any period of time but the thought of abandoning ship has never been an option.

I just checked my wastegate last night because I’ve had an oscillating boost problem, I thought it was possibly a bad wastegate, so I zeroed out WGDC last night and ran on spring pressure. Boost pegged at a spring pressure without oscillating. Which leaves my Perrin ebcs as the culprit for my boost issues.

I came across several stories on the forums, including one from boost junkie, where others encountered the same issues with perrin or prodrive bcs’s. Not a particularly common problem but some have experienced it. I ordered a Hallman MBC and am having it overnighted from KOP. I will hook it up this weekend and should have no issues hitting and maintaining boost.

Which brings me back to my question, would I have to worry about fitment with UR uppipe/ewg and my perrin dp? Anyone try running this? A local is selling a UR uppipe and Tial 38mm wastegate for 300$ I’ve contemplated getting it since I will be in his neck of the state on sunday and it’s a good deal.

Tommypenguin - time to try a hallman MBC, son. :)

As far as your fitament question - would you recirculate or dump to atmosphere? If you recirc, there will have to be some work done between the outlet of the EWG and the downpipe.

And TiAL for the effin win. 44mm wg and atmopheric bov.

Archived