LegacyGT.com

How often do you get stuck in the snow?

I'm taking a poll amongst the general legacygt.com populous to see how often we get stuck in snow, how deep it was, and what you did to get stuck.

Let me be the first to share my experiences...

1.) Last week I got stuck during snowpocalypse after taking a turn a bit wide, and the right side pulled me in deeper and deeper.

2.) I got stuck tonight after being an idiot and trying to perform a little bit of opposite lock. My Ken Block impression isn't quite perfected yet...

All the while, my buddy in his Trailblazer SS is laughing at my "Stupidru" getting stuck all the time...

IMG_3197.jpg.12591c818f5850c713f4adcc08b0ac51.jpg

925667921_Subaru2.7_11.thumb.jpg.63fc2ccbe9061e1bd21607322fa4a71f.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You running dedicated winter tires? If not, that would go a long way toward reducing the incidence of "stuck" suckage. I've been in about 10" of heavy, wet, unplowed snow on MPS ASes, and while they got me through, the fact that I was pushing a lot of snow with a lowered LGTW, was a hinderance.

Was in 22" of heavy, wet snow in my 01 Forester S and got off the side of a road and down in a ditch (plowed completely full of snow), and I got out of that despite sliding all the way to the bottom of that ditch before I did.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah, I'm confused also. Does Subies get stuck?? :p

Seriously though, Schm1an do you have dedicated winter tyres?

Earlier this winter I had to tow a Volvo S60 up a snowy hill after he slammed his car into a railing, no wheelspin or anything (just a little bit smelly clutch).. /brag.

got stuck backing out of my driveway a week ago, with dedicated snow tires. had a lot of hard icy snow packed up at the end of my driveway, didn't see it, and it basically lifted my car up a little bit when i drove through it soo no more traction.

What's this "stuck" you are talking about?

:lol: Yah what is this "stuck" sh!t?

The other day when CT got over a foot of snow my neighbor asked if I need help digging out in front of my car. I laughed at him and drove right through it.

The only time I have gotten stuck is when I ended up floating the car playing around in the driveway.

When I'm out on the road I kind of that it easy when I'm in deep snow.

I have driven through door high snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've gotten stuck before. Actucually stuck 3 times in the same night. I will say lowered cars with the stock crappy RE92's. The snow was probably atleast 12 inches deep and two of the three times I was able to get the car moving again with some rocking back and forth.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Almost. Once. Should have known better. 8" of thick, heavy, icy snow. Made it out, but it wasn't the best of situations.

When it snows heavily, I really miss my old Lifted Forester. That thing simply could not be stopped.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This*"stuck"*is*what*happens*to*us*peons*without*winter*tires.*I*just*got*my*car*about*3*months*ago*it*came*with*brand*new*all-seasons,*so*i*(foolishly,*i*guess)*decided*to*go*ahead*with*those.*They're*Kumho*Ecsta*ASTs.*They're*ok*in*anything*that*is*about*6"*or*less.*Anything*more*and*goodbye*traction

I've only gotten stuck in snow once my entire life. I grew up in SD were we got lots of snow with lots of drifting. I drove a little FWD Dodge Omni and always got through snow. I moved to NY (near Buffalo) to go to college and have lived here since. I got stuck once when I turned into an unplowed parking lot driving my Chrysler LHS to turn around. There was an unseen dip and the snow was much deeper than it looked. Got the car high centered, used my little plastic shovel to dig my way out with the help of my wife (girlfriend at the time). Prob wouldn't have gotten stuck if I had snow tires on. Even with all seasons and my LHS I drove NY backspace every day and never got stuck, even when 4x4 vehicles and scoobys were in the ditch. Since I got my Legacy and snow tires, I've been all over the place, back roads, parking lots, seasonal roads... Nothing but fun! Good tires are a must, but you also need to know what your doing and know the limits of the car your driving.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Got stuck in my lowered LGT wagon in a cul-de-sac when all the snow was plowed to the center. About 18 inches. In my pajamas. :lol: It was cold when I had to dig myself out! Used my floor mats to get traction. I have all seasons on the car.

It was worth it, though! I had a blast that night!

The only time I got "stuck" was after driving 5 miles in a crazy blizzard coming up my driveway. Its a slight incline and I only stopped cause the snow was over the hood and cutting off air to the engine(stock air box). I would hit the snow back off and hit it again till I was all the way up. Normal A/S tires.

Almost, once, with the oem tires. I was driving on a very narrow country road after a heavy snow and had someone coming the other way. So I pulled over to the edge and waited for them to pass (2wd truck). The right tire fell off the side of the road and the car slid down a bit. It took a few tries, but the Subaru got itself out. The problem was every time the tire hit the side of the road, it would slide back down again. I just had to ride the ditch for a 50 feet or so until the ditch/road leveled out. The truck driver was damn impressed I got out, fully expecting to have to pull me out in his truck.

My favorite story was a year or so ago driving on I70 East. An ice storm had all but stopped traffic on the freeway as the semi drivers were unable to make it up a hill. Most people just put their cars in park and waited, a few others made their way up the hill, some of them sliding to the side of the road during the ascent. The Legacy stormed up it like it was no problem.

The only time I got "stuck" was after driving 5 miles in a crazy blizzard coming up my driveway. Its a slight incline and I only stopped cause the snow was over the hood and cutting off air to the engine(stock air box). I would hit the snow back off and hit it again till I was all the way up. Normal A/S tires.

I did that once when I got back home after a vacation to Florida. 2 feet of snow in the driveway. The front of my car was a wonderful plow. Luckily I had the good sense not to push it into my garage. :lol:

Went through 18"+ when CT got that big storm in January. My neighbor got stuck 3 ft out of his garage in his S60, and his drive way is steep so he should have been able to just push down it, took him almost an hour to dig out.

LGT with snow... put her in 1st and just pushed my way right through it all... was smart enough to back in the night before so I wouldnt have to back out in it.

Only time I ever got stuck in a subaru was in my families old outback... had some worn out stock tires, and there was a layer of ice underneath the wet 8" of snow, so if you broke through to the bottom all four wheels would just spin on the ice...

But dedicated snows make a huge difference. I have put my car into some interesting situations, that I didnt think i was gonna get out of... but she pulled right through

Edit: Finally got over my laziness and uploaded these snow pics

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/demo243/Snow/0112010908.jpg

Love how you can see where my Y-pipe hangs down...

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/demo243/Snow/0112010932.jpg

The Aftermath

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/demo243/Snow/0112010932a.jpg

Archived