LegacyGT.com

Sachs OE clutch kit feedback

ping

I wanted to post some feedback on the Sachs replacement clutch kit for the LGT (stock FW):

1) The pedal effort is reduced

2) it now engages much higher up in the travel, rather than right off the floor.

3) smells not much more pleasant than OE (I know this because of 2)

Our 05 LGT has stock powertrain, 83k with only occasional boost (when I get to drive it). No racy starts with clutch slip, etc. Car went in for TOB failure, came out with aforementioned clutch, new driver side 1/2shaft.

For San Diego area owners: Work performed at Strictly Subaru in San Marcos. They seem to know what they are doing and are reasonable. Paid 540$ in labor + :eek: ~700$ for clutch kit. Kept my DMfw.

Right side inner CV boot had hardened and cracked, shop theorized that proximity to cat had cooked the boot. Seems like a design over-sight.

I find that very odd that they used a Sach's kit rather than the OEM subaru clutch made by Exedy. Did you have a choice at the brand and was the subaru one more expensive?

I'm waiting to get mine in soon and I just hope the squeal I get from the clutch when I'm leaving say a stop light on a decent increase will go away. Almost anytime is slips slightly on a start it will make a sound resembling tire squeal.

smfw, dmfw, I think your correct with that.

Funny to hear someone say the clutch SMELLS PLEASANT, :lol::lol:.

Kumho has those Aroma tires, (smell like lavender after driving). I think I'll design a clutch disk that smells like apple pie. :lol:

I didn't know Sachs were OEM for the DMfw setup, but I asked the shop for any option but Subaru OE. He was inclined to put the latter, but I never liked the release characteristics of the original. In terms of cost, there wasn't a significant difference (OE was more expensive by a few workday lunches IIRC).

It is clear to me however that the Sachs replacement kit is not identical to factory fitment.

I find that very odd that they used a Sach's kit rather than the OEM subaru clutch made by Exedy. Did you have a choice at the brand and was the subaru one more expensive?

I'm waiting to get mine in soon and I just hope the squeal I get from the clutch when I'm leaving say a stop light on a decent increase will go away. Almost anytime is slips slightly on a start it will make a sound resembling tire squeal.

Kinda makes you wonder if you picked "OE" if they would have just used the same Sachs kit and just charged you more to tag it as an Original Subaru part. OR if Sachs actually makes two kits... I highly doubt that since only one is listed on Rock Auto, and then only the Exedy one is listed for the 07.

Also your Engagement issue could have been caused by not getting enough throw from the bad bearing, or possibly an air bubble somewhere in the clutch system which is now bled out.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Have a late 2005 gt 5mt 131k

I´m open up a old tread

It seems that I have a Sachs flywheel and clutch, and the clutch is almost goodbye, havent looking int to what the clutch modell is exactly, but the flyweel is model M240, and if looking around on the internet it says this:

http://infopart.org/sachs-3082000358-part

and that doesent feel really right. Can I use the flywheel (sachs) with, say exedy?

I´m driving "almost" stock..

/Lars

You have a dual mass flywheel. You need a single mass flywheel to use anything but the stock clutch.

He's not from the USA, does he still have the same clutch set up we have ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
He's not from the USA, does he still have the same clutch set up we have ?

That's a good question. I was on Tapatalk and did not see his location. The only way for me to say for sure is to see a picture of the flywheel in question.

yep, I´m a strange guy from outer space ;) or more exactly here <-- Sweden.

My car has ben imported to Sweden from Usa in 2013, so it´s a us-legacy.

So I have the same clutch set up you guys have.

This model never existed in europe, but we had 2006-07 a wrx with 2.5 liters enigne 5mt gearbox, but some spare parts are a bit limited here.

the earlier wrxs was using 2.0 liters enigne.

We only had legacy turbo in 1992-94 and a few cars of 2010 model that use petrol, we do have from 2008 dieselenginges in legacys with turbos

/Lars

OK that helps.

PM, Underdog, that's who I bought my OEM singlemass flywheel from him and Spec 2+ clutch for my 2005 GT wagon. You could use the same FW and stock replacement clutch or something he recommends.

I just told him I wanted the OEM SMFW for my car and I knew which clutch I wanted. Oh you'll need the 8 FW bolts too. I had them already.

Tell him I sent you to him.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 years later...
I have a question, I have an 08 Legacy 2.5i SOHC, and somebody on here pointed me towards a clutch/oversized throwout bearing/pressure plate kit from rock auto, it’s sachs. I already have the kit, about to work on it tomorrow. Didn’t know there were two options as far as the clutches go, hoping it fits correctly. Could anybody tell me how you can tell if your flywheel is single or dual mass? I’m hoping the clutch fits correctly.

• I Donated
I have a question, I have an 08 Legacy 2.5i SOHC, and somebody on here pointed me towards a clutch/oversized throwout bearing/pressure plate kit from rock auto, it’s sachs. I already have the kit, about to work on it tomorrow. Didn’t know there were two options as far as the clutches go, hoping it fits correctly. Could anybody tell me how you can tell if your flywheel is single or dual mass? I’m hoping the clutch fits correctly.
If you have a 2.5i, you almost certainly have the wrong clutch for your flywheel.

That's not to say you can't buy a flywheel too... but think about it this way... how is an oversized pressure plate going to bolt up to a normal sized flywheel?

That was me. Most guys on here are turbo owners, their clutches and flywheels are different from ours. All of the info in this thread is from turbo owners and their cars, so don't let that mess with your head and confuse you. That is the correct kit for your car, I actually have one here with my right now that I bought just in case my input shaft was worn, which it wasn't.