LegacyGT.com

Loud Pop when starting

Hello, my 05 Legacy GT made a very loud electric pop when trying to start this am. Car lost all electrical power, then a minute or so later all power was back on, and started normally. I shut it off and tried again, then it started normally again. I turned it off, tried to start again, loud pop, no electrical power. Waited 5 minutes, tried again and started normal. When it losses electrical power, it resets clock and radio.

I searched for a couple hours, called my buddies with subarus, called my buddy thats a service manager at subaru, only thing anyone can think of is bad battery, but its three months old, and shows full charge.

:spin:

Most auto parts stores will test the battery for free. I'd have that done before you try and start it again.

Not all things last forever.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most auto parts stores will test the battery for free. I'd have that done before you try and start it again.

Not all things last forever.

I will have it tested, but it starts perfectly when there is no loud pop.

I bought this car new 12 years ago, I've done nearly all the maintenance and mechanical repair since new, and I've replaced 6 batteries. I know these cars are hard on batteries, but this is something I've never seen.

a pop like something is arc-ing? Have someone start it at night in a garage or somewhere dark with the hood open and see if you can locate or see anything abnormal.

Battery terminals tight?

Great idea looking at night, I haven't had to that for a long time!

After I read your post I went back and checked again. Battery terminals were tight, checked grounds, all looked good. Then I double checked the positive again, it was as tight as the bolt would allow, but not really tight on the post. If you've taken it apart before you know what I'm saying, but the positive terminal is a modular design that allows the cable to unbolt from the terminal. I took it off and cleaned it and cut off the the red plastic that doesn't allow the terminal to clamp closed all the way to the battery post. It'll be temporary, I'll buy a new terminal this week. Thanks for your helpful reminder!

Archived