LegacyGT.com

Throw out bearing help!!!!

Johnd

Some input would be very much appreciated. 2005 legacy gt limited sedan

I bought my car from a guy on craigslist, he had a clutch installed around 60k miles, because he didn't like the engaging of the OEM clutch... He had it replaced with a wrx clutch and flywheel. I have been hearing this "chirpingl" noise and whenever I put the slightest bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, it goes away. There is no slipping at all, the clutch works really well. I contact the prior owner and asked if the bearings got replaced too.. He said he wasn't sure, probably not. But what shop will put in a new clutch without new bearings? That's unheard of! I purchased a TOB and was planning on replacing it tomorrow..so, I starting looking up ways to drop the tranny when I came across this article

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/throw-out-bearing-chirping-30-miles-after-brand-new-installi-209105.html

Everyone describes my symptoms exactly... What do you think should be done? Should I replace the TOB?

Please help with your input!!!

As these cars are notorious for TOB issues, that's a pretty big blunder for the shop not to replace it while doing the clutch.

You can see if the return spring mod helps in your case, but honestly, if the TOB decides to grenade itself you could be out a whole lot more than just the time to pull the trans and check. It sucks, but worth it IMO for the peace of mind. Especially since the previous owner can't definitively saw whether it was replaced or not.

• 1 month later...

Bad TOB is when the chirping noise happens when you press the pedal.

Chirping when you release the pedal is usually the tob not fully releasing. Install a return spring to pull the fork/tob off the clutch. Look at the spring in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTchiegh4Y]Troubleshooting failed clutch - YouTube[/ame]

Some input would be very much appreciated. 2005 legacy gt limited sedan

I bought my car from a guy on craigslist, he had a clutch installed around 60k miles, because he didn't like the engaging of the OEM clutch... He had it replaced with a wrx clutch and flywheel. I have been hearing this "chirpingl" noise and whenever I put the slightest bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, it goes away. There is no slipping at all, the clutch works really well. I contact the prior owner and asked if the bearings got replaced too.. He said he wasn't sure, probably not. But what shop will put in a new clutch without new bearings? That's unheard of! I purchased a TOB and was planning on replacing it tomorrow..so, I starting looking up ways to drop the tranny when I came across this article

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/throw-out-bearing-chirping-30-miles-after-brand-new-installi-209105.html

Everyone describes my symptoms exactly... What do you think should be done? Should I replace the TOB?

Please help with your input!!!

Most likely it is the TOB, also most likely the kit came with a new TOB, as they usually include it. The problem is if they do not lube it up properly when installed, you will get this issue shortly afterward :(

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

what is TOB?

might be a stupid question but I've never heard of it. Also, is the removal of tranny involved to get this replaced/fixed? I have the same issue however clutch is fine and I prefer not to change it in that case.

Thank you

Hello,

what is TOB?

might be a stupid question but I've never heard of it. Also, is the removal of tranny involved to get this replaced/fixed? I have the same issue however clutch is fine and I prefer not to change it in that case.

Thank you

TOB = Throw Out Bearing

You need to remove the transmission in order to change the TOB. While you are in there unless the clutch is new, you should probably replace that too.

-mike

FWIW, I also put a little grease in the input shaft where it slips into the pilot bearing.

malimx6 click on the sticky in the top of the very first forum here. the "opposedforces" link. You'll see a breakdown of all the parts.

do you have the service manual for your car. another source for pictures ? Check the genral chat forum the the thread about shoe me your vacation pix.

here,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216p10.html

even easier, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, I also put a little grease in the input shaft where it slips into the pilot bearing.

malimx6 click on the sticky in the top of the very first forum here. the "opposedforces" link. You'll see a breakdown of all the parts.

do you have the service manual for your car. another source for pictures ? Check the genral chat forum the the thread about shoe me your vacation pix.

here,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216p10.html

even easier, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Definitely grease it up as part of the R&R...

-mike

thanks guys, i should've known it was a throw out bearing. Yeah, i realise that tranny has to be removed. Do clutch kits come with tob?

Also, what is recommended over OEM part?

I want to keep the car stock, but would like something that won't fail again in 120K km (~85k miles). Kind of like when poly lca bushings as alternative over oem.

thanks

thanks guys, i should've known it was a throw out bearing. Yeah, i realise that tranny has to be removed. Do clutch kits come with tob?

Also, what is recommended over OEM part?

I want to keep the car stock, but would like something that won't fail again in 120K km (~85k miles). Kind of like when poly lca bushings as alternative over oem.

thanks

Generally Subaru clutches will last 85-125k miles depending on your driving conditions. (Highway v. City v. Aggressive).

In general if you order a new clutch kit it will come with a TOB but always good idea to ask your vendor before purchasing.

For stock we like to replace with either stock SMFW w/Clutch Kit or Exedy Stage 1 as a slight upgrade while retaining a good pedal feel.

If you remove the trans and see that the TOB has worn the AL shaft you may want to go with the TSK3 Kit which puts a shield over the shaft to protect it and comes with a larger TSK3 Specific TOB.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How much is a clutch? And this TSK3 system, how much does it cost?

Also, I see your in NJ, i'm in Windsor, Canada (Detroit area) and would like to know if there are any subaru oriented services (other than Subaru dealer) that would be able to change the clutch?

I'm dissapointed that subaru clutches only last this long, even if it's not beaten on aggresively.

I watched the video on youtube on what is involved to get this replaced and noticed that exhaust needs to be removed along with intercooler. Are there any other parts that I should put in while doing this job? Such as, gaskets for exhaust? Anything around turbo area that I should be worried about in order to prevent future leaks or any kind of problems?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How much is a clutch? And this TSK3 system, how much does it cost?

Also, I see your in NJ, i'm in Windsor, Canada (Detroit area) and would like to know if there are any subaru oriented services (other than Subaru dealer) that would be able to change the clutch?

I'm dissapointed that subaru clutches only last this long, even if it's not beaten on aggresively.

I watched the video on youtube on what is involved to get this replaced and noticed that exhaust needs to be removed along with intercooler. Are there any other parts that I should put in while doing this job? Such as, gaskets for exhaust? Anything around turbo area that I should be worried about in order to prevent future leaks or any kind of problems?

Thanks

Any time you remove the exhaust you should probably replace the gaskets for sure.

Clutch is a wear and tear item, so 80-120k miles isn't terrible for change interval.

TSK3 Kit runs about 165

The Exedy Stage 1 should be in the 250-300 range

Depending what year you may need to change your flywheel and bolts. If it is an 07+ then you can just resurface your current flywheel.

-Mike Paisan

Hi,

why do i need to change flywheel? grrr those are not cheap :(

it's 2005. I baby this car lol i nevel launch it in first, i'll punch it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I though flywheel should just be resurfaced. My 93 mx6 has a resurfaced flywheel, it's got 250K km on it, no issues with clutch.

Thanks for your replies though, I appreciate it.

Do you sell that TSK3 kit?

Also, is there a tob that is better than OEM?

Hi,

why do i need to change flywheel? grrr those are not cheap :(

it's 2005. I baby this car lol i nevel launch it in first, i'll punch it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I though flywheel should just be resurfaced. My 93 mx6 has a resurfaced flywheel, it's got 250K km on it, no issues with clutch.

Thanks for your replies though, I appreciate it.

Do you sell that TSK3 kit?

Also, is there a tob that is better than OEM?

On the 2005 there is a double mass flywheel DMFW for short. It can't be resurfaced and the clutch kit that matches up with the DMFW costs as much as a SMFW Kit + SMFW!

We do sell the TSK3, the TSK3 comes with it's own TOB.

-Mike Paisan

May be, but it's not recommended in most cases. Most sane people put a new clutch on a turned/resurfaced FW.

Subaru figured how bad that dmfw was, the 07-09's have a smfw.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I fitted a TSK throw out bearing and single mass flywheel when my 04 spec b clutch crapped out, big improvement in clutch operation.

04 spec B clutch? Non usdm?

-Mike Paisan

Archived